Shenyang J-11, J-16, J-15, History, Performance & Discussion

Here’s one source.

If anyone has one of Andreas Rupprecht books, I’m sure he has information on the missile.

2 Likes

What is the name of this book

Should be “Red dragon Flankers” but he has published other books in which the PL-8B could be found…

1 Like

I made a simple one, just asking for it
J-8F should get IRCCM missiles // Gaijin.net // Issues

3 Likes

Shenyang J-8 fighter: A history of evolution – China Defence Today (wordpress.com)

Spoiler

Снимок экрана 2024-06-14 083655
Снимок экрана 2024-06-14 083618

PiLi-8 Short-Range Air-to-Air Missile - SinoDefence.com (archive.org)

Is 20km Range only possible at high altitude?

j7g would be a deadly little fighter, especially with better missiles and engine, for now I think mig21bison takes the new role as most modern mig 21

His books primarily use public information and sources, as far as I’m concerned his books are tertiary information. It’s well supported, but not always accurate.

I think it was actually funny how when J8F first came out it had no all aspect, with HMD.

Gaijin only uses public information and sources… technically it fits.

I mean he uses little to no primary documentation, just collections of data from websites or other books, also what people share on online forums via their word. If there are other sources he may have kept hidden it is possible some information is more reliable than others but without listing his sources it is essentially tertiary information and is hardly usable for bug reporting.

I’m not one to judge but are you sure he doesn’t use any documentation at all? i’ve seen his activity on X (twitter) and his work on identification of brigades seems pretty on point and in collaboration with other PLA watchers plus they all base their conclusions on real life images or, in fact, press from officials and documents…

I myself don’t have the book but if we had one we could easily check the bibliography, on this note… do you have the book?

I have several of his books, I spoke with him on Twitter and he provided me the list of sources for J-8 (which he admitted was lackluster compared to his research of Flankers) and it wasn’t super comprehensive.

Got it, i guess we need to find other sources for the PL-8B then.

@MiG_23M You can try to start with the foreign trade specific missile PL-9C. The PL-9 series is a missile developed specifically to solve the problem of the inability to export PL-8. PL-9 Guidance Head=PL-8A, PL-9C Guidance Head=PL-8B

Anyone know what this is? This looks a lot like the flankers. It might be based on the flankers.

Should be a prop for a book, at least it was the suggestion i’ve seen on X.

1 Like

It’s sci-fi most likely

1 Like

Perhaps it is China’s self-developed 6th generation fighter jet “Bai Di”
He appeared at the 2023 Air Show along with the “Xuan Nu” and “Nan Tian Men Plan”

Bai Di

u_3165849593_2872873395&fm_253&fmt_auto&app_120&f_JPEG

Xuan Nu

u_1737703381_586313212&fm_253&fmt_auto&app_138&f_JPEG

2 Likes

So its a real project?