Shenyang J-11, J-16, J-15, History, Performance & Discussion

J-11B (PLAAF) & J-11BH (PLANAF) fitted Type 1493 radar but not sure it might be pulse-doppler radar or PESA radar ?

Pesa radar

The J-11B has an antenna with a slit planar array…

Spoiler

242233-76b4dba8b12d254ab204c35c609080bd

The new AESA radar was introduced in November 2019… J-11B: боевой самолет и новый радар с фазированной решеткой (АФАР) (naukatehnika.com)
Is it installed on the J-11BG — these are upgraded J-11B combat aircraft…there is no consensus among experts…
installed on the J-11D…

Can Su-27SK and J-11 be used interchangeably? Or are they too different? Because if Su-27SK is for the imported ones and J-11 is for the domestic ones they are technically different aircraft right?

su-27sk and J-11 are the same aircraft. J-11A is produced under license from Russia and has improvements.

The SU-27SK and J-11 is the same difference as the Python 3 and PL-8 are.

Same products, made under Chinese license.

Later variants of the J-11 such as the 11a and 11b feature significant upgrades over the Russian models.

1 Like

I guess next year (first major update or second major update) gajin add medium-range active radar homing BVRAAM PL-12 on J-8F (12.3 BR) and switch under J-11

Unsure after Shenyang J-11 & Shenyang J-8F new fighter aircraft 12.7 BR at rank 8 gajin could add Shenyang J-11A MLU or Chengdu J-10A or Guizhou FTC-2000G

If the J-8F gets them, it will move up a BR much to it’s detriment.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they frankensteined a J-8H together with PL-12 capability and made it 12.7 or 13.3.

As for the current planes, Japanese F-15 may just get them as Japan doesn’t have much else to be implemented at the moment.

More than likely America and Israel will get another F-15 to grind in order to equip the AMRAAMs.

PLA Navy Aviation’s J-11BHG launches PL10 AAM.

2 Likes

J11BG/BHG (H represents the Navy) did indeed replaced with AESA radar, and the latest CCTV official video shows PLA Navy Aviation’s J11BHG launching PL10 AAM.

海军航空兵歼11BG实射PL10空空导弹 _哔哩哔哩_bilibili

PL10 and PL15 are generally used in conjunction with AESA radars and new avionics. If J11BG/BHG did not replace with AESA radar, PL10 and PL15 would not be equipped.

For example, another PLA Navy Aviation J15 carrier based aircraft, as the J15 still uses PD radar, can only launch PL8 and PL12 AAMs, and cannot use PL10 and PL15 AAMs.

As for why the J15 has not yet upgraded to AESA radar, my guess is that the J15B has been successfully developed and is about to enter service. The J15B not only uses AESA radar and new avionics, but also optimizes the aircraft structure by using more composite materials to reduce weight and better take off and land on the aircraft carrier.

So maybe the PLA Navy wants to directly replace J15 with J15B.

6 Likes

J11B/BH still uses PD radar, and J11BG/BHG was replaced with AESA radar.

1 Like

2 Likes

J11B is mounted with PL15 AAM for testing.

Before upgrading to AESA radar, a few J11B were tested to equipped with PL15AAM.

Although PD radar cannot fully utilize the capabilities of PL15, But J11B can indeed use PL15.

2 Likes

Is it just me or those wingtips tapered downward?

It’s just a test, this aircraft will soon be upgraded to BG

Ruski out here really thinks PESA flanker is better than an AESA flanker with composite materials operated by a country that leads in rare earth mineral refinery and production

4 Likes

This comment was unnecessary… but go off I guess.
The Chinese flankers AESA will likely not yield better results in-game unless the specific things AESA can do better are modeled as well. Especially since we have such little data - it will probably be artificially balanced. He’s also not a random “ruski”… he’s one of the Su-30 mod creators for DCS and he’s done a fantastic job modeling the flight model of that aircraft and does a lot of work to help us try and understand what is wrong with the Su-27 in war thunder.

1 Like

Shame this thread isn’t as active as the Soviet counterpart’s is

1 Like

I’m sure it will be more discussed when the Chinese tech tree receives a truly domestically modified J-11 iteration.

Im woundering if we will ever see the J-15 since it’s a bit of a redundant plane considering all the options China might have. To my understanding there’s nothing special about the J-15 that can’t already be accomplished by other Chinese flankers or domestic planes, so maybe it will be relegated to a premium or event vehicle