Severe Damage mechanic to apply to ground/naval vehicles.

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • Yes with some changes (what)
  • No (why)
0 voters

Hello, hjnbnb here, everyone knows about the Severe Damage mechanic for aircraft, and I propose to add it to both ground vehicles and naval vehicles. I decided to make a suggestion for this after a discussion with @BleedingUranium in another thread. I would love to hear what you think about it, and what changes you would make!

Okay so to start with, War Thunder is already incredibly generous with allowing tanks and the likes to survive after sustaining heavy damage, Eg: surviving without tracks, a knocked 3/5 crew, no engine, breach, barrel, turret ring/elevation mechanism, on fire, and without battery power. This is incredibly unrealistic, and while I wish not to continue on about the realism side of this, I feel it’s incredibly unfair to do that to someone, have them out of the match but still alive, when a friendly just beams them across the map and you’re left with an assist.

Explanation on how it would work:

Spoiler

How this mechanic would work for ground forces would be, if you have something that is a heavy detriment to the tanks survival/fighting capability, you would be severely damaged. However, once this damage is repaired, then you can stop being counted as severely damaged, and fully functional again. The person that dealt that damage however, still gets the rewards for severely damaging you (just not the final blow when/if it happens). If you do manage to repair severe damage, I propose an increase in SL by maybe 100 via an award “Repaired severe damage” or an increase in score by maybe 30 - 60.

For naval it would be nearly similar, except with the fact that some things cannot be repaired ie unrepairable breaches are permanently severe damage.

Another thing that I think is worth it, would be that Severe Damage to vehicles be much harder to repair, with maybe 1.2x the time it takes to repair a normally blackened (changed to severe damage) part.

My main reason for adding this would be to assist vehicles that struggle playing solo, and require teammates to help them, currently a 75mm Jumbo can face a Tiger ii H, of which it can’t do anything against it frontally. If we pretend that the Tiger is in a position that the Jumbo cannot flank, and therefore kill, the Jumbo destroys the barrel of the Tiger ii, leading for the ability for much more lightly armoured vehicles such as a Charioteer to peek behind cover and eliminate the Tiger ii, giving the kill to both teammates which promotes teamwork as well as improving the general gameplay.

I don’t think I’ve left anything out, but if you think of anything you would like let me know!

Thank you for your time.

3 Likes

Yes because the final blow in naval is more frustrating than satisfying.

I would like this in the game but it needs to be implemented properly, also I don’t think repairing severed damage should take 20% longer

Ground vehicles don’t have hull damage mechanics [nor should they] thus it can’t work with them to begin with and shouldn’t be done.

1 Like

It’s a solid idea for naval, but I’m not totally sure for ground. Call it a ~1

1 Like

This type of thinking seems to only be an Air thing. I don’t care if someone else gets the kill in Ground RB.
I don’t trust anyone to finish off a vehicle, so if it’s still alive, I’ll keep firing. I’ve been yeeted to many times by thinking that an aircraft/helo/apc/tank is done only for it fire off a lucky a shot and kill me. I will still get the assist, and with the new severe damage for air, it’s not an issue at least for me in ground.

2 Likes

It couldn’t hurt at all to have this. Just means you’ll get more rewards and points when you take part in getting a kill. I just don’t want to get some reduced RP when I kill someone because their track was shot off or their optics are damaged lol, that’s worthy of only an assist if you ask me.

I never ever said that it should? Did you even read my suggestion? Things like breach being taken would be severe damage not “oh no he penned my tank guess I’ll die now”

2 Likes

For naval only, I think. If it was for ground it would work if we had plate shattering and the like, but we don’t so I think the current system is fine. It would not work for ground as is, and the current system of assists is good enough.

For naval, I think that if you put an unrepairable breach in a ship that it should trigger severe damage. Other forms of severe damage for naval could be causing an internal fire, hitting ammo elevators, destroying/disabling a main gun, hitting the citadel, etc.
For naval I think it is an excellent idea because oh my god naval has made me despise the assist alert.

Its quite a bummer whenever you knock out several crew members and destroy engine, breach or track and some low-effort tag-a-long steals the kill. Would be great to have a merchanic that would grant it to both attributers. +1 from me.

I don’t really see the need for any system like this. I don’t want fewer rewards because I helped kill an enemy that my teammate failed to kill (which is exactly how Gaijin would implement it).

I disagree. Repair times for critical equipment don’t need to be made longer.

I would rather Gaijin reward assists more.