SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 XX108: The TIALD Tester

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

SEPECAT Jaguar XX108

Hello and welcome to my suggestion for a Unique variation of the Jaguar GR.1, Airframe model XX108, used to test the Thermal Imaging Airborne Laser Designator also known as TIALD. This varies from the Standard Jaguars in game as it is a Jaguar GR.1 airframe without flares or overwing pylons but with access to a TIALD Pod on both Centreline and wing pylons. Whist this airframe has went through several upgrades through the years, I am suggesting it in its early 2000s config with Adour 106 engines and underwing TIALD pods.

History

Spoiler

The Jaguar has a long and rather interesting backstory but I will not cover this in my suggestion as 1, this is a suggestion for a Specific airframe and 2, the aircraft is already in game and has had suggestions written before such as the Old Forums GR.1A Suggestion and the New forums T.2A and GR.3A in which all cover the Backstory of the Jaguar to varying degrees, I will only speak of the Development of the airframe XX108 in this suggestion.

XX108 was the first production Jaguar GR.1 and made its maiden flight on the 12th of October 1972. She was used by the BAe trials fleet through most of her life, mainly for avionics and systems development however there were a few choice modifications that made her unique. Firstly in the 2000s she was outfitted with the Adour Mk.106 engines providing a boost in performance over her other GR.1 Siblings, Secondly she was used as the Jaguar International Demonstrator through the 70s and 80s, and most importantly, She was used for trials testing the TIALD pod and the effects of having one mounted under the wing.

This is a major modification as it allows for the carrying of a Larger 2000 lbs bomb to be carried Centreline with the capability of self designating when other variants up until the GR.3 would rely on buddy or ground lasing (options not available in game) in order to use this larger bomb.

During her life she was upgraded to GR.1B standard however she has two major differences from standard Production GR.1Bs, firstly she carried no Countermeasures due to her being a trials aircraft and secondly she had no overwing Pylons meaning in game she would essentially be a cross between a GR.1 and GR.1A with some added extras. I would also like to add that through most of her life she was not outfitted with the standard 30mm ADEN cannons with the only picture of her with them coming from when she was on display at Farnborough in 1982.

After the GR.3 upgrade came into effect in the early 2000s XX108 was withdrawn from Trials service in 2002 with her being given to the IWM Duxford in late 2003 where she stays, hanging from the ceiling, to this day

Images

Spoiler

The Jaguar on display at IWM Duxford

XX108 in flight during tests of the Adour Mk.106 engines

XX108 landing at Farnborough in 1974, note here she lacked the standard nose the RAF used

The airframe on display at farnborough in 1982, this is the only place i can find with the ADENs fitted

Specifications/Armament

Spoiler

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 16.83 m (55 ft 3 in)
  • Wingspan: 8.69 m (28 ft 6 in)
  • Height: 4.89 m (16 ft 1 in)
  • Wing area: 24.18 m2 (260.3 sq ft)
  • Aspect ratio: 3.12
  • Empty weight: 7,000 kg (15,432 lb) typical, (dependent on variant and role)
  • Gross weight: 10,954 kg (24,149 lb) full internal fuel and 120 rpg
  • Max takeoff weight: 15,700 kg (34,613 lb) with external stores
  • Fuel capacity: 4,200 L (1,100 US gal; 920 imp gal) internal, with provision for three 1,200 L (320 US gal; 260 imp gal) drop tanks on inboard and centreline pylons
  • Powerplant: 2 Γ— Rolls-Royce Turbomeca Adour Mk.106 afterburning turbofan engines, 37.5 kN of max thrust per engine

Performance

• Maximum speed: 1,350 km/h (840 mph, 730 kn) Mach 1.1 at sea level 1,699 km/h (1,056 mph; 917 kn) Mach 1.6 at 11,000 m (36,000 ft)
  • Combat range: 815 km (506 mi, 440 nmi) hi-lo-hi (internal fuel), 575 km (357 mi; 310 nmi) lo-lo-lo (internal fuel)
  • Ferry range: 1,902 km (1,182 mi, 1,027 nmi) with full internal and external tanks
  • Service ceiling: 14,000 m (46,000 ft)
  • g limits: +8.6 (ultimate load +12)
  • Time to altitude: 9,145 m (30,003 ft) in 1 minute 30 seconds
  • Wing loading: 649.3 kg/m2 (133.0 lb/sq ft) maximum
  • Take-off run: 580 m (1,900 ft) with typical tactical load
  • Take-off run to 15 m (49 ft): 940 m (3,080 ft) with typical tactical load
  • Landing run from 15 m (49 ft): 785 m (2,575 ft) with typical tactical load
  • Landing run: 470 m (1,540 ft) with typical tactical load
  • Landing speed: 213 km/h (132 mph; 115 kn)

Armament

• 2 x 30mm ADEN Cannons (Provisions for but not carried for most of life)
  • Bombs
    • 540/ 1000 lbs Bombs
    • 1000 or 2000 lbs Laser Guided bombs (1000 lbs under wings or centre line, 2000 lbs centre line only)
  • Rockets
    • CVR7
    • SNEB
  • Missiles
    • AIM-9 Sidewinder
  • Other
    • TIALD targeting pod
    • Matra Phimat Chaff dispenser
    • Various ECM pods
    • Wing and Centreline fuel tanks

Place in game

Spoiler

Personally I feel this would be a good Premium or event Vehicle to be added to the game, it offers a potential middle ground between the GR.1 and GR.1A with a GR.1 airframe paired with GR.1A plus capabilities. In my opinion it doesn’t offer enough to be a tech tree aircraft but would be a unique option for a Rank VI premium aircraft and a nice alternative to the Harrier GR.1.

In terms of BR I would either place it at 9.7 or 10.0 depending on whether it gets its ADEN armament or not, any higher and its lack of flares will make it extremely vulnerable to Advanced Air to air missiles whilst any lower and its Twin AIM-9Gs will cause chaos in a downtier, thus 9.7 should be its lowest possible BR.

Gameplay wise it would play similarly to the GR.1 However it would allow for a more Aggressive playstyle due to its more powerful engines, it would most likely find a place in Ground battles where its Twin LGBs could be utilized to great effect although would be extremely vulnerable to enemy SPAA or Fighters.

Sources

Spoiler

SEPECAT Jaguar - Wikipedia

SEPECAT Jaguar

Duxford seeks new home for Jaguar

A cat withteeth

Aviation photographs of Registration: XX108 : ABPic

Google Books

Thunder & Lightnings - SEPECAT Jaguar - Survivor XX108

1 Like

+1

2 Likes