Sd.Kfz.250/8 Ausf. B The little brother of the 251/9

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I would like to suggest the Sd.Kfz.250/8 Ausf. B it is armed with the 7,5 cm K.51 L/24 and a coax Mg 42. The mounting is allready in game on the Sd.Kfz.251/9 and the Sd.Kfz.234/3, tho this one would have an advantage over the 251/9 as its smaller, lighter and faster. In Game it would offer a fast, nimble, highly survivable (because MG proof and has the Engine in the front) platform with good firepower to the lower ranks as well as would offer with the other versions (that i have allready suggested) a wide array of different versions to choose from on the 250 or to take all and be a whole multipurpose squad of 250s.

Pictures: (Click to show)

History:
The AHA IN6 (Inspectorate of Motorized Troops) requested a small armored Half track to accompany tanks on the offensive and perform auxiliary mission in 1939. These tasks were (not limited to) Scouting, mobile HQ, command vehicle, radio vehicle, forward observer and ammo carrier. And be smaller compared to the then also in development Sd.Kfz.251, its bigger brother.
It was an development of the Sd.Kfz.10, which was made by Demag, who was allready recognized for their expertise in very small and fast half tracks, which was recently accepted into service. Of these Sd.Kfz.10 were around 12.000 produced until 1945 and additional 6.628 of the armored version Sd.Kfz.250. The armored body was designed and produced by Büssig-NAG abd called Leichter gepanzerter Mannschafts Transportwagen (light armored troop transporter) with the number Sd.Kfz.250. Build from 1939-1944.
The /8 was (along with the 251/9) a close infantry support version with the 7,5 cm K.51 L/24 with good HE firepower as well as Ap capability against reinforced structures and enemy tanks with the K.Gr. Rot Pz and Gr. 38 Hl. As well as heavy reconnaissance to be able to overpower enemy Armored cars and such.

Later in the war, a new armored hull was introduced, the Ausf. B, this was a simplefied and improved version that streamlined the armor platings to simplefy and speed up production as well as make it slightly lighter (about 200-300kg) and reduce the target area from the front, as the sides were now straight plates with the addition of 2x 8mm Armored boxes as also allready seen on the Sd.Kfz.251. These 2 versions were then known as Ausf. A and B.

The Gun:
7,5 cm K.51 L/24 and coax 7,92 mm Mg 42 as well as as AA Mg 42
-10° to +16° Elevation, +/- 14° Tracerse. 40 Rounds of ammo.
Ammo: Same as in game on the other vehicles and generally with the 7,5 cm L/24 guns.
Here some interesting examples.
(Click on the names to show)

K. Gr. Rot Pz APCBC 6,8 kg 80 g Fp.02 und Np.10 (102,4 g TnTa) 385 m/s 52mm/10m

Gr. 38 Hl/C HEAT 4,8 kg 515 g H.10 (875,5g TnTa) 450 m/s 115mm/10m

Sprgr. 34 HE 5,74 kg 686g Fp.02 und Np.10 (878,08g TnTa) 420 m/s

The Vehicle:
Sd.Kfz.250 Ausf. B
Length / Width / Height: 4,56 m / 1,95 m / 2,13 m
Crew: 4-5
Engine: HL 45 TRMK 100 Ps at 2800 rpm
Speed: Max speed by trails 75 km/h (drivers were told to not go faster than 65 km/h duo wear)
Armor:
Front 14,5mm angled, engine deck 8mm
Sides 8mm + 8mm (Armored Storage Bins)
Back 8mm
Gunshield 14,5 mm (with small 2nd 14,5mm and 10mm layer)

Source:
Geschossringbuch I
Thomas L.Jentz, Hilary Louise Doyle - leichter Schuetzenpanzerwagen (Sd.Kfz.250) Ausf.A & B History of Production
Die Halbketten-Fahrzeuge des deutschen Heeres 1909-1945

4 Likes

That thing is adorable! +1

Wonder what other variants of the Smaller half track they have since that thing is adorable.

I think this would be more effective compared to 251/9 due to smaller size being able to beeasier consealed and herder to hit.

And far faster and more mobile, same engine 60% of the weight or so.

It’s a shame that it’s so often overlooked for the larger 251 especially as there’s a gun for every occasion…

Need an Spg?.. Sd.Kfz. 250/8 leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (7.5 cm) - 7.5cm KwK 37 L/24 gun and an MG 34.

Or some AA/light support… Sd.Kfz. 250/9 leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (2 cm) - 2 cm KwK 38 autocannon and a coaxial MG

Or maybe squeeze out some AT rounds…Sd.Kfz. 250/10 leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (3.7 cm) - PaK 3.7 cm PaK 35/36.

There was also a 81mm mortar and 2.8cn anti-tank Rifle for the more masochistic players.

The /8 Has a coax Mg 42, like the 251/9 and 234/3 has, but aside from that,
i also suggested it with the 2,5 cm Pak 113(f) L/77 (2,5 cm SA 37-L).

even better!

Idk if or how exactly Mortars have a place in game, cince they only have He (usually) and (usually, except like 122mm ones) are relatively weak, tho if you like Morars, perhaps the Mörserträger 38(t) would be of interest for you.

2 Likes

Re Mg34 - there are references that state the vehicle used both the MG34 and MG42 as the coax but unlike in tanks in an open turret it would make little difference ( did actually mean to write MG34/42). The MG34 was also frequently fitted on the pintel mounts of all variants

Re Mortars - they are in game but invariably disguised and used as slow, heavily ballistic rockets. They are primarily area of effect weapons and unsuited to WT ground battles, but never say never…

+1, foldered with the 251/9.

1 Like

If the Sd.Kfz.251/9 would finally get its Coax and AA Mg 42, this one as well (and added to the game) as well as the /9 and /10 i am shure we will see many squads even of just the 250/8, /9 and /10 (as well as other gun combinations), or at least i will do such.
The /8 also could have a AA Mg 42.

In-game, it seems that gaijin deleted the coaxial MG 42 at some point on the 251/9 for some inexplicable reason. Anyone want to bug report it?:

Allready did.

1 Like

I dont want to spoiler too much, but after some thinking, i will do make a suggestion for the Sd.Kfz.250 with 8 cm Mortar.
I dont want to spoil too much about it, but i was thinking that maybe it could be controlled like Arty when middle mouse button is pressed as well as via the map like in Enlisted. For the ammo 3 rounds would be available.
Wgr. 34 He, Wgr. 34 Smoke and Wgr. 40 with 5 kg He filler, which would certainly be usefull.
While such vehicle wouldnt be good in close combat, it certainly would be good close to medium support fire.