Scorpion 90: A Modernized British Legend

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

A Brief History of CVR(T) project

During the coup in Malaysia which started at 1948, British government realized the importance of light weight vehicles. Which in that fight, since British cannot transport heavy AFV like centurions and British did not have many light AFVs so British soldiers had to fight dismounted with only very limited supports from armored cars.

As a result, British made an emergency light vehicle project and developed two light wheeled vehicle: Saladin and Saracen.

Star from late '50s, British government was seeking a replacement for both Saladin and Saracen since they became outdated. Several concepts was developed by FVRDE (Fighting Vehicle Research and Development Establishment), such as LHMTV (Lightweight High Mobility Tactical Vehicle), the AVR ( Armoured Vehicle Reconnaissance) and the final one, which was developed between 1963-1965, was the famou CVR(T) project, aka combat vehicle Reconnaissance (tracked). It was designed as a huge family with variants of weapon choice, including 120mm recoilless gun, 105mm howitzer, 76mm low pressure gun, 30mm RARDEN cannon and many more.

The first prototype was released at January 23rd, 1969 and a total of 30 tracked prototypes, included 17 scorpions, was soon be produced. The first scorpion tank was produced at January 1972 and delivered in February 1973. A total of 1,500 units were built for British army while nearly a thousand units were built for foreign army such as Belgium army. All scorpions were retired from British army in 1994 while some are still used by other countries even nowadays.

Modernization

Venezuela_finalizes_modernization_of_78_Scorpion_90_light_tracked_reconnaissance_armored_vehicles_925_001

For the export market, Alvis modified the scorpion a lot. The Scorpion 90 was a specific version ordered by Venezuela and Indonesia at late '80s and '90s. New Scorpion 90 not only refitted the main armament from the original 76mm low pressure gun to a new 90mm cockerill gun, but also upgraded FCS such as thermal for the gunner’s optic, stabilizer and hunter-killer system.

At June 1988, Venezuela ordered 84 scorpions including scorpion 90 with 85 millions of US dollars and the transfer was completed in 1992. From 1995 to 1997, Indonesia also ordered two batches of Scorpions, Stormers and other AFV.

Specifications

Firepower

• New 90mm Cockerill Mk3 gun.

• APFSDS-T is capable of penetrate 100mm RHA @ 60°.

• HEAT-T can penetrate 250mm RHA.

• Also capable of firing HE, HESH and Smoke rounds.

• A coaxial 7.62mm MG and a rooftop 7.62 mm MG (optional)

• 2x4 76mm grenade launchers

• Elevation from -8° to +30°

• Stabilized main armament

• Thermal for gunner’s optic

• Hunter-Killer capability

Mobility

• Perkins 6-cylinder diesel, able to produce 200 hp at 2,700 rpm

• Max speed is 73 km/h on road

• Pivot

• Power to weight ratio: 23 hp/t

Protection

• Aluminum armor, immune 50cal at front, 7.62mm at rears and backs.

• NBC

Source

1. The history of CVR(T)
  1. Specifications for Scorpion 90

https://weaponsystems.net/system/1198-Scorpion+90

1. Stats for the 90mm Cockerill Mk3 gun
1 Like

Really cool, didn’t know about this variant. I hope we get to see more Asian countries soon in WT so we can try vehicles like this out hopefully.

What does Asian countries have to do with it? The post about this vehicle is from Venezuela located in Latin America

1 Like

Indonesia also operates the Scorpion-90

Scxorpion_90_CVRT_90mm_gun_light_tracked_armoured_vehicle_Indonesia_Indonesian_army_640

1 Like

Oh right, lol. I read Malaysia and somehow construed that it was related to that country. I guess that’s what you get from late-night posting, doh!
But yeah, getting a South American TT of some sort is also about time since a lot of interesting designs have come out of there. Dunno in what form it would be though.

+1 for the UK

Indonesia, an Asian country, have dozens or hundreds of them (I did not find the specific quantity).

As a matter of fact, I did mention it, but I understand that sometimes people (including me) only read the first sentence of each paragraph.

At June 1988, Venezuela ordered 84 scorpions including scorpion 90 with 85 millions of US dollars and the transfer was completed in 1992. From 1995 to 1997, Indonesia also ordered two batches of Scorpions, Stormers and other AFV.

1 Like

I had no idea this thing had thermals, or that it was stabilized. Absolutely +1, it’s a must have!

1 Like