Savoia Marchetti S.M. 55 M. Serie 25

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters

Savoia Marchetti S.M. 55 M. Serie 25.

History.

The Savoia-Marchetti S.55 was perhaps the most famous Italian seaplane in history. It was designed by the engineer. Alessandro Marchetti and the engineer Pier Luigi Torre in 1923 and was proposed to the judging commission of the Aviation commissioner, who after an initial negative judgement, re-evaluated the plane and decided to approve it as a new bombing and reconnaissance hydroplane. In 1929 the aircraft entered the ranks of the Regia Aeronautica and over time the various S.55s were modified and updated to make them competitive and adapt them for various air cruises (such as the famous Italy-Brazil transatlantic air cruise), for use in civil aeronautics and also for demonstrations at the Universal Exhibition. In 1931 some of these planes were built under license by the Piaggio company of Genoa, which modified some examples. These examples included a new engine and some wooden parts were replaced by metal parts. Over time the plane became increasingly older and therefore the various examples were gradually put aside and scrapped by 1945, even if some parts and even one (Brazilian) example still survive in museums and various exhibitions.

Armaments and propulsion.

The aircraft was defended by 4 airborne Lewis machine guns placed in four Scarff rings, two placed at the front and two at the rear. Furthermore, the aircraft could carry a torpedo or up to 1,000 kg of various bombs (depending on the type of bombs, less than 1,000 kg could be mounted).
As for engines, the aircraft was equipped with two Isotta Fraschini Asso 500 engines placed in a push-pull configuration. Each engine could provide 500 hp of power, and the aircraft could reach a maximum speed (without weapons) of 280 km/h.

Specifications.

Spoiler

Crew: 6
Altezza: 5,025 m
Larghezza: 24 m
Lunghezza: 16,634 m
Wing area: 93.0 m2
Velocità massima: 280 km/h
Motori: 2x I.F. Asso 500
Armamento: 4x 7.7 mm Lewis and 1 torpedo/1.000 kg of bombs

Pictures and drawnings.

Spoiler