Sabra Mark II - Combat Proven

Would you like to see Sabra Mark II in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Sabra

Background

Sabra Main Battle Tank is an extensive modernization of M60A1/A3 developed by Israeli firm IMI between 2002-2005 and initially started as further development of Magach 7C. It offers new 120mm gun, improved armor protection (Steel Laminate for Mk I, ERA for Mk II & III), newer engine (for Mk II and Mk III), new FCS and improved turret traverse system. Three versions of this modernization have been developed as: Mk I, Mk II and Mk III, Mk II being adopted by Turkish Army as M60T and Mk III by Royal Moroccan Army (per Spanish wiki claims, though I doubt.)

Sabra incorporates new 120mm MG253 smoothbore gun as main armament, which is upgraded version of Merkava Mark III’s MG251, increasing effective range and lethality substantially over original M68 105mm cannon. The gun is capable of firing NATO standard 120mm ammunition and Israeli LAHAT gun-launched anti-tank guided missile.
Mark I has ability to mount machine gun in similar fashion with other Israeli tanks, Mark II has 12.7mm machine gun in M19 commanders cupola and Mark III mounts 7.62mm machine gun in remote controlled weapon station. Old hybrid turret traverse system of Magach is replaced with all electric system and fire control system is replaced with Elbit System’s Knight Fire Control System.

Sabra Mark II

Sabra Mark II is further development of the Sabra modernization package of M60A1/A3. Mk.II shares same main armament with earlier Mk.I, IMI MG253 120mm cannon. Secondary armament consists of 7.62mm/5.56 co-axial machine gun, Turkish Mk.IIs (M60T) also has 12.7mm machine-gun on M19 Commander’s cupola. Mk.II received much more powerful power pack than earlier Mk.I, 1000 horsepower MTU MT 881 KA-501 diesel engine and Renk 304S transmission with rather decent 16.7 hp/t. Protection of Mk.II is greatly increased with IMI System’s Hybrid Armor Package.

Sabra Mark II accepted into service in Turkish Army under M60T designation, upgrade program was undertaken by 2nd Main Maintenance Center Command in Turkey between 2007-2009 with kits being supplied by IMI. Total of 170 Sabra Mark II have been upgraded by 2nd Main Maintenance Center Command, 169 of which will be further upgraded to M60TM standards.

General Specifications
Firepower

Sabra Mark II boasts MG253 120mm L/44 smoothbore gun as its main armament which offers superior firepower over original M68 105mm gun. MG253 is capable of firing all NATO standard 120mm ammunitions and Israeli LAHAT anti-tank guided missile. Total of 40 rounds stored in the tank for the main armament. Secondary armament consists of single co-axial 7.62mm machine-gun.

Mobility

Sabra Mk.II in Turkish Service

Sabra Mk.II is powered by MTU MT 881 KA-501 1000 horsepower diesel engine coupled with Renk 304S transmission system.This new power pack increased power-to-weight ration of this 59 tons of beast to pretty decent 16.9 hp/t with a whopping top speed of 55 km/h.

Protection

Sabra Mark II has greatly enhanced protection over base model M60A1 with additional modular Hybrid Armor Package with Explosive Reactive and Non-Explosive Armor elements. Protection of frontal arc is increased with Explosive Reactive Armor elements. Sides of the hull received skirt armor and turret’s protection is increased with multi-layered hybrid armor.

Difference Between M60T

Essentially M60T is matured version of Sabra Mk.II. Israeli Mk.II prototype which was showcased in Israeli Exhibition has number differences with Turkish operated M60T. First thing you can notice, Israeli Mk.II lacks smoke launchers while M60T sports 8 smoke launchers, 4 launchers in each side of the turret. There is also no visible weapon platform or M19 cupola. Lastly and most important difference, it has additional turret roof armor which M60T lacks.

(Excuse my paint skills)

Red: Extra Roof Armor
Blue: Lacking Smoke Launchers
Green: Lacking M19 Cupola

Another angle of same prototype, note lacking cupola and launchers, also additional roof armor.

IMI’s M60 Upgraded Brochure

Specifications

• Crew: 4
  • Dimensions and Weight
    • Mass: 59 Tons
    • Length: 6.95 m
    • Width: 3.63 m
    • Height: 3.27 m
  • Armament
    • Main Armament: IMI MG253 120mm L/55 Smoothbore Cannon
    • Secondary Armament: Co-Axial 7.62mm Machine-Gun
    • Ammunition Capacity
      ∙ 42 Tank Rounds
      ∙ 10000 7.62mm Co-Axial Machine Gun
  • Mobility
    • Engine: MTU MT 881 KA-501 Diesel Engine, 1000 Horsepower
    • Transmission: RENK HSWL 354 Automatic Transmission, 4 Forward, 2 Reverse
    • Suspension: Torsion Bar
    • Maximum Speed: 55 km/h
    • Power to Weight: 16.9 hp/t
  • Protection
    • Armor:
      IMI Systems Hybrid Armor Package
      ∙ Reactive Armor
      ∙ Passive Armor
      ∙ Skirt Armor
    • Active/Passive Protection System: None
    • Smoke Grenades: 16x
  • Accessories
    • Night Sight
      ∙ Gunner
      ∙ Commander
    • Thermal Sight
      ∙ Gunner
      ∙ Commander
    • Laser Range Finder
    • Automatic Target Tracking
    • Hunter-Killer Capacity (Commander’s Override)

Implementation to War Thunder

Sabra would be great fit to Israeli tree’s Magach Line. As later Magachs also based on M60’s, Sabra would offer similar play style albeit being more powerful. In BR and Rank wise, I would say Sabra perform similar to 120mm armed Merkava’s, so Rank VI and VII seems fit, for the BR lowest would be 10.0 with Sabra Mark I. Mark II with greater protection would be a little higher in BR bracket. I would like to see both Sabra Mk.II models added to the TT I’ve already pointed out differences between M60T.

If you want to check his cousin in Turkish service, you can take a look at my M60T suggestion.

Additional Photos

Spoiler

Turkish Sabra Mark II in Winter Camouflage

Turkish Sabra Mark II with Desert Camouflage

Sources

Spoiler

Sabra (tank) - Wikipedia

Army Guide

https://web.archive.org/web/20100917110035/http://www2.ssm.gov.tr/katalog2007/data/21902/uruning/uruning3.html

Upgraded M60

IMI’s M60 Upgraded Brochure

Iron Fist Active Protection System (APS) - Defense Update:

Blog de las Fuerzas de Defensa de la República Argentina: Latrun 2011 mostraba lo más reciente de la tecnología israelí

Динамическая и активная защита бронетехники | Страница 36 | WarOnline.org | Израильский Военно-Исторический Форум

https://elbitsystems.com/media/Remote_Controlled_Weapon_Stations.pdf

Army Guide

Army Guide

Army Guide

Army Guide

Army Guide

RPS-10 - Radartutorial

4 Likes

Israel desperately needs some more (unique) vehicles and the Sabras would go perfectly as capstones to the Magach branch. +1

3 Likes

GIVE ME MY SABRA! YES!
A tad hyped about this tank.
Another unique M60 to go with the 20ish unique M-series tanks Israel already has.

1 Like

Gib me big boi M60! +1 for me to kill the massive void between 9.7 and 11.0 which no tanks are at currently.

Hell yeah! Giv mi those Sabras!