SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

Sources say 1.2, apply 1.05x = 1.26 so that seems accurate. I think someone reported this and got it fixed a bit ago.

x1.05 is for rip speed not aerodynamic max speed

1 Like

Do the sources say whether the top speed is drag or airframe limited?

I presume it is doctrinally limited.

1 Like

I’d love to see if you can address my replies. However I believe that we should take this outside the Forums (onto discord maybe). As we’re just clogging up this discussion with physics debates.

I can do some tests so we can compare after thrust changes

Perhaps they have adjustable tint? Or perhaps polarized.

Doesn’t seem to be adjustable in any way, some photos just show it better than others. Though the idea of adjustable tint isn’t a far off thought, I do know that certain Russian (Mig-29 and Su-27 are examples iirc) jets use a pop-up style system which quite literally pops up a piece of brown/dark gold tinted glass in front of the HUD for better visibility in bright situations.

Example:

1 Like

Gripen-NG has a cooler looking HUD

Gripen NG would be cool in the game, it was lighter than the Gripen E right?

Gripen E is in the photo technically, I thought they were the same plane unless I am mistaken.

I think the NG was the prototype version of the E. Basically the same, but not quite as polished.

Wiki:

• Gripen NG: Follow-on the Gripen Demo technology demonstrator.[71] Changes from the JAS 39C include the more powerful F414G engine, Raven ES-05 AESA radar, increased fuel capacity and payload, and two additional hardpoints.[65][66] These improvements reportedly increased costs to an estimated 24,000 Swiss Francs (US$27,000) per hour,[462] and the flyaway cost to 100 million Swiss Francs (US$113M).[463]

• Gripen E, or JAS 39E: single-seat production version developed from the Gripen NG program, priced at US$85 million per unit.[464] Sweden and Brazil have ordered the variant.[83][174][235] Brazil’s designation for this variant is F-39E.[255][465]

1 Like

85 mil that pretty pricey only 20 more and you get a f35

Yeah, though its also the maintenance cost. Gripen is far cheaper long term than anything else. Even other 4th gens like the Typhoon

“Dont put words in my mouth while im putting words in others mouths”

1 Like

Yeah pretty much, back when it was revealed, they were talked of as different models, but they’ve kind of naturally become the same since then. I believe the NG was initially lighter but they added some weight to it as it became the Gripen E, hard to explain

From what i’ve found yeah, the NG was just the pre-production version of the E. So might have been missing a few items that they ended up added in the full production. Which would easily explain some extra weight.

Would be funny if Gripen-E came to the game finally around same time as Eurofighter or Rafale… or sooner lol

Actually, that is kinda what Im expecting. The Gripen E would be Sweden’s counter to the Typhoon and Rafale. That would make up one hell of a “Euro Delta” update and likely what Sweden would need to counter the F-15C MSIP and Su-27SMs that will likely have been in the game for 3-6 months by the time of said “Euro Delta” update.

2 Likes

Except unlike the Rafale, the rest of the Euro Canards have little to no RCS reduction techniques. I doubt they’ll all come together.