SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

Possible loadouts
4x AIM-120
2x AIM-9

2x AIM-120
4x AIM-9

Hmm

1 Like

Looks a whole lot like an assumption to me.

Guess they’ll be working off an assumption…
Wonder where they came up with the FM in the first place…

1 Like

You’re right… I assumed it had a drop tank on as well as draggier missiles like the RB-71… still did 1.75 mach…

I wish i had the ignorance to be able to just go
Wow i think X plane is overperforming lets just find dubious reports that state my point is true and then do some shoddy testing and make some assumption and report it as fact.

2 Likes

What’s shoddy about it?

Man, you just don’t get it. You come off as biased. You don’t look objective.

1 Like

So the Gripen should be doing 1.75 mach with full air to air loadout and a drop tank?

Not even talking about that. Just furthered my point.

1 Like

Just to change the topic, is the Gripen missing a radar gunsight in the cockpit. Really surprised it doesnt have one.

Makes me wonder how much of a performance hit having multiple Meteors would be.

The Draken had one, so I would presume the Gripen should also.

I guess I shouldn’t assume things, though.

Gripen C from Swedish, Czech, Thailand and Hungarian armed AIM-120 except SAAF Gripen C

I’m not so sure gaijin access AIM-120B on SAAF Gripen C in next year ?

You surely considered a loadout like this as well, right?

2x AIM-9 (or IRIS-T in this case), 2x AIM-120 and 3x droptanks

It specified empty pylons for one, and simply said “air to air loadout” for the other. Seeing as they are comparing the performance and ability of the fighters to get into the air and accelerate quickly they probably didn’t do so with three drop tanks.

1 Like

Saying anything about performance in red flag is a honking great big red flag.

The Sea Harrier magically demolished about 6 aircraft (F-18s and F-16s) simply by staying low and sneaking around (Paul Tremelling’s “Harrier: How to be a Fighter Pilot”) and again, there is a well known clip of a Rafale demolishing an F-22 in close combat.

Now, immediately, someone is gonna say “well if a F-16 and Sea Harrier went head to head at 30,000ft the F-16 would win”
Funny that, almost like kinematics works in its favour.

So and so’s account is pretty much worthless, and that goes for both sides. Red Flag outcomes are very dependent on how Red Air and Blue air interact on the day.

2 Likes

within the cockpit? i know in ARB it does have a lead computer for the gun but… not sure if thats the same thing

If we are using this as a source now, then all hope is lost.

I mean, if all these reports get accepted and implemented I think Gaijin would pretty much become a target of abuse for Brit mains.

As we have said (I believe you said this earlier),
Saab have not declassified any firm details about Gripen A or C performance

The Armscor report is dodgy like all hell, with some sections declassified yet on the very next page more content is redacted than a CIA release, and at the minute we’re stuck drawing Tangent lines to performance graphs to “make a point”

I’m going to put this here in writing in case anyone doesn’t get it
The documents used in certain bug reports about the Gripen have serious holes in them. Their legitimacy and accuracy cannot be proved, and through some assumption, some of the data provided in these bug reports is non sensical and contradictory.

I am seriously concerned, given this is probably the most competitive Britain air has been for a while. It starts to be a bit less about realism and more about balance.

3 Likes

IDK, if F-16A can surpass it on 7450kgf, and Mig-21 with 4 R-3s can do mach over 1.8 pushing 4080kgf then Gripen can probably do it on 5300kgf.

1 Like