SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

ZA Gripen C

HU Gripen C (actually doesn’t have them)

SW Gripen C

I have made a report to swap the low quality no texture BOL on Gripen for the CRL/BOL that the Sea Harrier FA2 now carries;

Low quality no texture BOL

High quality, textured CRL/BOL;

Same rail on a Gripen;

8 Likes

Nice!

Any word on the MAW for gripen?
or any of the reports for that matter.

From the ESTL pod?

And internal.

the system includes means to discover threats from radar, analyze the signals, validate them against known data, present the threats to the pilot and take proper counteractions. These counteractions include, for instance, electronic jamming against radar and radar-guided missiles, flares against IR-guided missiles and chaff against radar and radar-guided missiles

I do not see anything about MAWS, if i read this correctly it could identify missile using plane radar, compare it to the database and tell the pilot what it think it is or it is simply a RWR description.

and then take the appropriate counteractions. If the “threats” described aren’t also missiles then why would the need for automatic IR-flares and chaff against missiles be there?

Tbh, imo it is just a fancy way of saying it has them.

what do you mean?

it says that they EW system takes proper counteractions, of which includes flares and chaff against missiles.
i don’t see how you read it differently but i’m no stranger to be proven wrong.

I jsut read it like that, also i do not see any maws on the ew

i also just found this, however its a bit inconclusive on the specifics of MAW. BUT it clearly states that the system can deploy flares and chaff automatically.

This is even better, from SAAB https://www.defenceiq.com/content-auto-download/5b04b95f97533d72c14ff28a
page 5:

Screenshot 2024-06-27 142555

interesting

@Gunjob Do you want me to make a new separate report for internal MAW (and slave CM to MAW) as i have now found more sources?

Do you know whats the thing of that version?

This is a similar press release and to me that doesn’t read as a MAW at all. It basically says “we have an E-war suite and various other countermeasures”.

This is much more credible.

1 Like

Its the same one i linked to.

the quoted text is (now that i read it several times and more in depth) not really describing an actual warning about incoming missiles. BUT it does definitively state (together with another source i linked to above) automatic CM dispensing against radar and IR missiles.

So now i’m a bit confused, how do you do automatic CM against missiles if there is no MAW system?

Could be chaff, like it automatically releases chaff or other appropriate defensive measures when ESTL or RWR finds it appropriate against radar missile threats