SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

it mentions both though.

The only scenario withou MAWS is in case it is spotted by the radar and is identified as a ir missile

A bit of a sidetrack but i found an AMAZING resource for images of the different Gripen versions:

I’ve created a report for all Gripen C models on the basis of this.

6 Likes

Do you know what the quirk of Litening GIII is?

Also LWS can be added with this

From the looks of it, its just a LITENING 3 that’s been adapted to mount on Gripen. Hence the “G”.

Brilliant! thx ^^

Good spot I’ll do another report.

6 Likes

And another thing that makes me wonder is low band antenne array. I know it means bearly anything by itself, but what do we consider a low band? It is in the EWS so it will be a part of RWR. Current one we have is E-J

Low band would be 30-300kHz so NATO A/B-band;

1 Like

Well, i guess that one diagram would not be enough to do anything?

I think we’d struggle to convince the devs with that alone.

4 Likes

LWR report is up for all Gripen C models as well.

8 Likes

AFAIK the only C/D fitted and tested with the MAWS per the locations shown in that diagram, was the Gripen NG demonstrator

Final configuration of MAWSU for production Gripen E/F is different however, with the front sensors located in front of the canards rather than the front of the wing root

Atleast that contains the location and pictures of the modules, as our C models lack the sensors externally the devs can just say no on the basis of we don’t have them modeled. I’ve added that presentation to the report as well.

1 Like

I thought i remember reading that some of the changes made in the demonstrator were fitted to some C/D’s to extend their service life.

That’s a really good find!
The fact that the sensors are differently located to the E/F version might be enough for it to be added.
But that also makes it sort of cut and dry that the main C/D version in service with the SwAF doesn’t have those sensors (at least up till recent years, there have been some talks of modernisation in conjunction with introduction of the E/F version).

Have we a response for the Derby/R-Darter loving to cosplay as SpaceX rockets when fired from more than 15km away?

They always loft to 5000m above the target and then have no energy left and then hang around for 5 minuites slowly falling back to earth.

I wonder if when the MAWS get poperly added, it will be possible to implement automatic threat countermeasures, so for example If MAW and RWR launch deploy chaff, If MAW and no RWR deploy flares.