Revived COIN & Maritime patrol Aircraft + COIN TT Brainstorm thread

I’m sorry but uh we got them from the RAF anyway, not sure what it has to do with Canada

I didn’t add them.

As I did some double-checking and didn’t find anything to do with the Canadian-built ones bar the names.

Ah kk

Either those pilots were mercenaries since there were a lot of PMC’s operating in the Congo similar to what you see in Biafara or they were proper pilots working for the Congolese Airforce, if the latter was the case that wouldn’t be too shocking since the first few years of the Zimbabwean Army was run predominately by Europeans. Both scenarios can still exist simultaneously

I added it in the Canada section since I know that Harvard’s were largely built in Canada including the ones operated by the RAF. I could move it elsewhere maybe to a Netherlands and Belgium tab. I could make the caveat that it was Built in Canada, Originally operated by the RAF, Modified by the Belgians

1 Like

Maybe the dude had Albinism /s

1 Like

In regards to the OV-1 the Israelis had at least one OV-1D. I don’t know if it saw service or not or if is was simply a T&E airframe but there is photographic evidence that it did exist.

IMG_4308

IMG_4306

As for other COIN style aircraft, the O-2 Skymaster. It saw service with the US as well as multiple other nations in various configurations. The neatest being the Rhodesian Air Force version which really showed what the platform was capable of as it had a lot of armament options.

IMG_4310
IMG_4311
IMG_4312

The American O-2 was mostly a forward air control platform but there were times when they would go up with gun pods and HE rockets replacing the smoke marker rockets in the pods. So while it wasn’t a true attack aircraft, in a pinch it could play that role.

IMG_4313
IMG_4315
IMG_4314

2 Likes

I realized that MPA aircraft are included in the list, so here are some more Japanese ones.

TBM-3
GGdgyMxbQAAm0ij

PBY-6A (delivered and briefly used with weapons until they were removed)
IMG_0002bcrs

S2F Tracker
His-Mil-S2F-20-1967a-OIA-Hama-3

PV-2
DSCF5445rs

I won’t include pics of them all but
P2V-7 Early which retained defensive turrets
P2V-7 VSA
P-2J
P-2J FLIR
P-2J modified to guide Ryan Firebees

PS-1
a5601-5-Konan-PS1-196807Konan-Nakai

Then the P-3C and P-1

2 Likes

I will

Spoiler

P2V-7 with and without defensive turrets

P2V-7 modified for fly-by-wire testing (not sure if this one could be armed)

P2V variant modified with turboprop engines

P-2J equipped with nose mounter FLIR

UP-2J target drone carrier. The Firebee drones could technically be armed:

Spoiler

The bane of the guy that tried to argue Japan can’t have Mavericks

4 Likes

What weapons would the FLIR System benefit that the P-2J utilized

I may found an interesting Maritime patrol aircraft that the Russians could have

Beriev A-40 flying boat. Even though they were mainly used for firefighting and SAR purposes, the A-40 was initially intended as a ASW aircraft with a armament loadout of mines, depth charges bombs, torps and Anti-ship missiles

There is also the Be-12 & 14 that Russia could also get as well

2 Likes

Surprised to see the Textron Airland Scorpion missing from this discussion, in the US section.

Spoiler

scorpion-apkws-launch-textron-airland_68672

4 Likes

I am aware of the existence of the Scorpion however i’m not sure to put it here or make a note that it could be added to the regular TT since performance wise it’s half way between an A-10 and a Su-25

Navy Experimental 17-Shi Patrol Plane aka Kyūshū Q1W ‘Tokai’ (East Wind)

Its been passed for consideration twice in previous forum iterations and still not arrived. Maybe 3rd time lucky?

It will never set the world on fire - 200mph, 2x250kg, a few MGs, the look of an anaemic Ju-88 - but it claimed an important historical milestone as the first purpose built land based ASW aircraft.

3 Likes

Nit kicking time… 🤔

Love the O-2, although just how effective it would be is debatable (not that it means I’m against its addition) but I feel I should point out that the Rhodesian Cessna O-2 is in fact a sheep in wolfs clothing. It is actually a very angry civilian Cessna 337.

It gained bite over the true O-2 but also lacked self sealing tanks, strengthened airframe and other niceties. On the plus side Rhodesia was a self governing British colony that gained independence as Zimbabwe…so an ‘O-2’ in the British Tree? Now that would be sure to tick off some people, and tickle many others! - worth it for that alone.

Love the O-2, although just how effective it would be is debatable (not that it means I’m against its addition) but I feel I should point out that the Rhodesian Cessna O-2 is in fact a sheep in wolfs clothing. It is actually a very angry civilian Cessna 337.

Hence why i am going to treat the Lynx as a separate vehicle partially because though from the same family as the O-2, it is a little different as well as the modifications were done by a different firm but also it uses radically different weapon loadouts from other O-2’s

Lincoln ASR3

aka Avro Type 696

aka Avro Shackleton GR1*

aka Avro Shackleton MR1 prototypes

*I’ll stick to GR1 to avoid confusion with the production variants.

The Shackleton is in game as the MR2 but it’s hardly ever seen as it basically useless as its presented. But what makes the GR downgrade an upgrade?

R (1) (1)

second-prototype-avro-shackleton-mr1-vw131-9899273.jpg

As the photos show the Gr1s were uniquely equipped with a rear turret for twin 50cal/20mm. It’s a small but very significant change that would greatly increase its survival rate. They also had the early bomber style nose and cheek guns, removed from the MR1 but reinstated in the revised nose of MR2.

Unfortunately standard bomb load is still 9x 1000lb. Athough the centre station was rated at 4000lb only 2 ‘heavy’ stores could be found, one being the AS Type 14 MC (a cunningly disguised US Mk101 Lulu nuclear depth charge), the other being the Saunders Roe Mk. III airborne lifeboat where the station held the main weight with other attachment points mainly for stability. I’m still looking for a ‘big bomb’ load but so far nothing to make a real suggestion worthwhile…we live in hope.

1 Like

Ov1D was used by Israel as well. it would also make a good 6.0-6.7 lineup strike aircraft.

Just look up Thailand if you guys want COIN aircraft. They have basically everything that the thread for suggestions for the Thai subtree is filled with COIN. Ill list some that can be found on the thread:
*Note: I will denote aircraft with a[**] symbol if its dubious if the aircraft ever carried any weapons.

PROPS:

AT-6TH Wolverine:

Spoiler

OV-10C Bronco:

Spoiler

**RTAF-5 ‘Baby Bronco’:

Spoiler

**TAI RTAF-6:

Spoiler

Cessna T-337 Sentry:

Spoiler

L-19 Bird Dog:

Spoiler

AU-23 Peacemaker:

Spoiler

PAC CT-4 Airtrainer:

Spoiler

T-28 Trojan:

Spoiler

*IAI 201 Arava:

Spoiler

AC-47D Spooky Gunship with either 7.62 Miniguns/20mm Madsen Canon/.50cals:

Spoiler

JETS:

Cessna OA-37B Dragonfly:

Spoiler

BJ.7 Alpha Jet TH Phase II Upgrade:

Spoiler

L-39ZA Albatross:

Spoiler

HELICOPTER:

UH-1 Hueybomber:

Spoiler

UH-1 Huey with a weird rocket setup:

Spoiler

MARITIME PATROL:

Lockheed P-3 Orion:

Spoiler

Fokker F-27 Dolphin:

Spoiler

2 Likes

The RTAF-5 was not actually ever armed. However it did have the provisions to be, consisting of 4 underwing hardpoints, the inner ones with 150lb capacity, the outer ones with 100lb capacity. This would allow the aircraft to carry a small selection of bombs and rockets in service at the time, including bombs and FFAR rockets used on the Bronco in Thai service.

Similar to the RTAF-5 this aircraft also (from what I am aware of) never actually mounted armament. However it is specifically based on an SF.260TP airframe capable of being armed, while vague mentions of a secondary COIN role for the aircraft exist.
Interestingly enough the BChOr.2, a lead in project also modified from an SF.260 was based on the only Thai SF.260W airframe, which itself is the armed variant of the piston engined SF.260
These aircraft would be able to mount up to 300kg worth of ordnance for each of their two wing mounted hardpoints.

Though both of these would likely only perform their combat roles in emergency situations, I’d say being among the few domestically designed Thai aircraft does make them into very much relevant additions to the game.

This one I believe was a dispenser for 20lb bombs

1 Like

I recently went to the Warner Robins air Force museum and saw some cool aircraft. Idk how many of them would fit the COIN criteria, but I do know a few I saw would and are already mentioned. I’ll put pictures of them below

Spoiler

Name plates

Only took a picture of a few of them

2 Likes