Revisit French ground camouflages

Hi all, hope this finds you well.

Back then I wrote a post about French tank camouflages in-game being quite mediocre, however this was more of a rant than anything else, and I wanted to write something a little more organized and constructive.

Right now, we only have 2 obtainable camouflages for French tanks; bicolour and winter (excluding the premium ones and the factory paint). In my opinion these are (1) not showing the right colours (2) not really representative of what French vehicles were painted like in the early years of WW2.

Regarding the colours

I’m mostly referring to the bicolour camouflage, which displays a light green base with brown blotches. This sort of camouflage was indeed seen, but doubtedly with these colours. Since there was no official statement on the matter and coloured photographies are scarce, it’s hard to tell the exact tones. What I’ve found is the colours employed for wartime camouflaged were vert olive mat (a slightly lighter colour than the factory olive drab), brun (brown, sometimes closer to red), ocre jaune (very light brown) and vert (light green).

Spoiler

Now, with this information, plus knowing many camouflages used the factory olive as base, it’s safe to say that the colours in game are too bright, sometimes even lacking the capacity of camouflaging the vehicle due to being too colorful. For this I’d simply suggest making the colours darker, similar to the following illustrations:

image

Here you can see a Panhard 178 and a Hotchkiss 39 displaying a basic bicolour camouflage scheme. You can clearly see that the colours are way darker.

image

Hotchkiss 39 tank in Musée des Blindés, Saumur, displaying a reproduction of the bicolour camouflage scheme.

image

In this recoloured picture you can see a Renault AMC. 35 displaying a bicolor camouflage almost identical to that we see in the game. I dare say this image is wrong mainly because (1) it’s hard to see the camouflage in photographs due to these colours barely breaking the silhouette (2) I’ve found different versions of this recoloured image, some showing the tank using a simple olive colour as base.

More camouflage options

As I’ve mentioned in the beginning, I don’t feel that the unique French way of doing camouflage is properly represented in the game, and I find it certainly unfair that, while other nations like the UK or the US enjoy a wide brand of options to choose from, others like France are stuck with 2 obtainable camouflages one of which doesn’t properly achieve its function.

I’m not asking for an entire encyclopedia of camouflages here, but I’d like to suggest 2-3 schemes that would be interesting to see. Please take note that since French camouflages weren’t standardized I’ll just give them names based on their appearance. Shades and shapes will also have differences.

Bicolour scheme (Var)

Spoiler

A version of the previously discussed bicolour scheme with sandy blotches and black outlines. This can be seen in many illustrations on different vehicles, apart from photographs and real life.

image

image

image

image

image

image

Tricolour scheme (Var)

Spoiler

Base olive green, with sandy and brown blotches, sometimes with black outlines.

image

image

image

image

Tricolour wavy scheme

Spoiler

Probably the most unique, base olive with sandy and brown horizontal layers. Colours vary quite a lot here, with some vehicles showing interesting colour choices (including purple and light blue), mostly with the “doctrine” of French layered camouflage (dark for lower part to conceal with the ground, medium for the middle to conceal with the surroundings, and pale for the upper part to blend with the horizon).

image

image

image

That would be all, I’d like to know what you think, thank you for reading :- )

2 Likes

You’d probably ought to post this is suggestions to thag it actually gets seen, i do think Gaijin needs to spend some time overhauling quite a few camos, especially NATO 3 tone, and a fair amount of WW2 ones too

1 Like

Make these suggestions! I would love to see these camps in game!

1 Like

Thanks :- ) I thought of making it an actual suggestion but I feel my sources and knowledge won’t be enough. I may research further though.

1 Like