Requesting DLAA Implementation for Enhanced Visual Quality compared to current options

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Dear War Thunder developers,

I am a fan of your game and I appreciate the efforts you have made to improve the graphics and performance of War Thunder. I am writing to suggest that you implement NVIDIA’s DLAA (Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing) technology in your game, as I think it would be a great option for players who want the best visual quality possible.

DLAA is a new anti-aliasing feature that uses AI to eliminate jagged edges and aliasing artifacts in video games, while maintaining the native resolution of the game. Unlike DLSS, which renders the game at a lower resolution and then upscales it using AI, DLAA operates on the game’s native resolution, focusing solely on anti-aliasing. This means that DLAA preserves more of the original image detail than DLSS, and does not introduce any blurriness or loss of sharpness.

DLAA is ideal for players who have powerful GPUs that can run the game at their target resolution and framerate, but want to enhance the image quality by minimizing aliasing. DLAA can produce excellent anti-aliasing results while using less performance cost than traditional methods, such as MSAA, FXAA, or TAA. DLAA uses the same dedicated machine learning hardware that DLSS uses to accelerate its treatment of the image, so it is compatible with your existing DLSS implementation.

By adding DLAA as an option in your game, you would give players more choice and flexibility in how they want to experience War Thunder. Some players may prefer DLSS for the performance boost, while others may prefer DLAA for the visual fidelity. DLAA would also be a great feature for players who use VR headsets, as it would reduce the screen-door effect and improve the immersion.

I hope you will consider implementing DLAA in War Thunder, as I think it would be a valuable addition to your game. Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
A War Thunder fan.

18 Likes

This can already be achieved through a third-party plugin, DLSSTweaks, by replacing the dxgi.dll. However, this compromises the integrity of the game files and renders it non-compliant with Easy Anti-Cheat verification.

4 Likes

Yep, kinda proves it should be easy to implement for the most part beyond adding the option in settings and QA testing.

4 Likes

dllaa please, fast!

1 Like

+1

2 Likes

yes please

1 Like

+1

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Realy needed, playing on rtx4080 and using ssaa struggling to hit 100fps. Ssaa is just inefficient and other modern methods should be availiable, or repair dlss implementation to make it less blurry…

1 Like

It is very easy to add DLAA function since it already have DLSS with version > 3.0.0
I am not understand why ganjin don’t add it.

7 Likes

The game runs on a DLSS 2 configuration doesn’t it?

1 Like

I think it’s 2 but DLAA pre dates even version 2. I think it just needs to be enabled and tested.

1 Like

Thought i’d look up if any other people are having similar questions and lo and behold, here’s another topic. I’ll just paste my reply from a sort of similar thread, it should at least provide you with an alternative until the devs officially implement DLAA. If you run into some issues while trying to make it work, feel free to message me and I’ll do my best to help.

Old topic, i know but If any of you are still wondering about this or are weary about using DLSSTweaks, you can use Nvidia Inspector instead. It lets you force DLAA and change presets the same way DLSSTweaks does but you don’t need to screw around with the game files, instead the app adjusts it on the driver level.
I’ll provide quick instructions on how to set it up:

1. Download Nvidia Inspector, extract it wherever you want, and then search up on good old Google “Nvidia Inspector DLSS Related Settings”, download the settings file, paste it into the Nvidia Inspector directory and you’ll have everything you need.
  2. Then just launch the program, search up the profile for War Thunder, and look for the DLSS section. It will say (base profile only) but that is no longer the case since DLSS version 3.7, so feel free to tweak it how you want.
  3. One caveat to this is that once you update your GPU drivers, the settings will reset and you’ll have to repeat Step 2 again. Considering new drivers come out once every couple of months, it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle.

I agree with Mahd1378, that DLDSR alongside DLSS still looks sharper than DLAA, but I’ve personally run into issues with it. Namely, it keeps crashing my graphics drivers when I Alt-Tab therefore reducing the in-game texture quality every single time it happens.

1 Like

This is interesting but sketches me out a little. Wonder if Easy Anti Cheat would have an issue with it.

Been using it for like 6 months now, no issues. It doesn’t add anything to the game nor does it actually touch any of the game files. Just forces each of the DLSS settings to use 100% of your resolution, instead of Quality (66%), Balanced (58%), and Performance (50%).

But if you still don’t want to try it, you can just use DLDSR 2.25x + DLSS Quality, for example. What that does is it lets you set the game to a higher resolution than your monitor (For example, from 1440p to 2160p as in my screenshot) and then you can use DLSS to basically still render it at your original monitor resolution, but upscaled to an even higher one. Ends up with a nice crisp image with a great anti-aliasing solution, the performance impact will be slightly higher than that of DLAA, though.

For that, you need to go to Nvidia Control Panel → Manage 3D Settings → Global Settings → DSR - Factors

I forgot to add, my monitor requires display stream compression which does not work with DSR.

for me both the dldsr options stretch the game and make it unplayable

Damn, i don’t know how to help you in that case. It’s up to you whether you want to try the Inspector solution or not.

Interesting, try setting it to your normal resolution, exit the game, and then head over to the root folder of War Thunder where you can find a file named “config.blk”. Find the line that says “resolution:t=” and set it to whichever DLDSR resolution you selected in the Nvidia Control Panel, also make sure it’s on Fullscreen, not Fullscreen Windowed, and then save it.

Yeah I am playing around with the Nvidia profile inspector option but I’m also testing using Vulkan as well because I have horrible frame time spikes due to one of the cores always being maxed out when using DirectX. Now if only a Vulkan allowed DLSS/DLAA.

In order to use 5120x1440@240hz with 10bit RGB color unfortunately display stream compression is required.

I just tried it (Nvidia Profile Inspector setting). Game looks so good compared to TAA or DLSS. Let’s hope I don’t get banned for this :P

I do have one question. Is it better to force all quality levels to DLAA or use x1.0 forced scaling ratio? Or it doesn’t matter, they both do the same thing?

2 Likes