Radar issues

Hi! not a new player by any means and am used to radars, but with the new event f14 and my first time using aim54s and other radar missiles im having trouble.
no matter what i do or how much i try to learn the radar, i cant seem to get radar locks out past 9km. and when i do get them those within 9km its after i switch from beyond visible range.
I’ve tried watching videos on how to use the radars and just nothing seems to help me learn, can someone please give me a dumbed down step to step guide to using the radar? it would be very appreciated!

If you want to use Phoenixes long range select TWS mode by pressing the keybind [Change Radar/IRST mode], from there you can cycle through targets by pressing the keybind [Select Radar/IRST to lock], from there you can fire the Phoenix.

Be mindful that you need to maintain Data Link connection indicated by the circle and dotted line on the radar because the missile does not yet see the target with its own radar. Once the line becomes solid the missile becomes active and no longer relies on your radar.

You can also just fire the Phoenix with a solid lock but with TWS, you don’t alert the enemy’s RWR and can keep the Phoenix stealthy until it goes active.

There are lots of video guides online if you want to learn more about radar and how to use it in combat.

2 Likes

so the ideal radar mode would be Tws, but even with that i seem to not be able to get locks, is there anything i could be doing wrong?

The TWS mode is only available in HDN mode which means it works best when the target is head-on or going towards you.

noted! thank you so much, finna go try it out now

so even testing it in a test drive at level flight and a direct head on it still wont lock at 25km, im very confused. i have the radar set to TWS HDN and it attempts to lock for a few seconds and then doesnt ever lock :(

Send a video

ill upload one to my yt and ink it!

The ACM (green flashy corners) has a lock range of only 9km so you won’t be able to lock anything outside of there.

using TWS mode and in a head on at highspeed.

It might be because your [Select Radar/IRST to lock] and [Lock Radar/IRST on target] is the same keybind

i tried changing them and it didnt do anything
:(

Go to options, then go to air battle settings, then turn on Targets cyclic switching of aircraft radar

1 Like

turned on, lets see now

this fixed it!!! thank you so fricken much

Np

1 Like