RAAF McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet (Hornet Upgrade Program)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

G’day lads, I’ve seen that there are still a low amount of Aussie aircraft suggestions, let alone modern ones, so here I am suggesting the Aussie RAAF F/A-18A (HUG) Hornet for War Thunder!

Description:

Spoiler

The RAAF F/A-18A Hornet is a multirole fighter aircraft that served the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) from 1984 until its retirement in 2021. This aircraft was manufactured by McDonnell Douglas, which later became part of Boeing. The F/A-18A Hornet is known for its versatility, being capable of performing both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions. It is a twin-engine, supersonic jet that first took to the skies in November 1978. The RAAF introduced the Hornet into service in 1985, replacing the older Dassault Mirage III fighters.

History:

Spoiler

The journey began in the early 1980s when Australia sought to replace its aging fleet of Dassault Mirage III fighters. After evaluating various options, the decision was made to acquire the F/A-18A and F/A-18B Hornets from McDonnell Douglas. The first Hornets were delivered to the RAAF in 1984, with the fleet being fully operational by 1990. These aircraft were assembled in Australia, with the initial few being produced in the United States. The Hornet was a significant upgrade for the RAAF, offering advanced capabilities in both air-to-air combat and ground attack roles.

Throughout its service, the RAAF Hornet was involved in numerous operations. One of the most notable deployments was during the 2003 invasion of Iraq (seen at the top of the Image), where the Hornets provided air support and conducted patrols. They were also active in Operation Okra, targeting ISIL positions in the Middle East from 2015 to 2017.

In addition to combat missions, the Hornets played a vital role in peacetime operations, including security for major events and participation in airshows and training exercises. The aircraft underwent several upgrades to enhance its capabilities and extend its service life.

However, as technology advanced, the Hornets began to face challenges in keeping up with newer aircraft and defense systems. This led to the decision to replace them with the more advanced F-35 Lightning II fighters. The RAAF officially retired the Hornets in 2021, marking the end of their service.

Some of the retired Hornets were sold to Canada, while others were preserved for historical purposes in Australia. The remaining aircraft were eventually scrapped after a deal to sell them to a private company fell through.

Armaments:

Spoiler

1 20mm M61A1 with around 578 rounds

ASRAAM

Aim-120 (B) AMRAAM

Paveway II series

JDAM (?)

Dumb bombs like the Mk.80

Litening II pod

ATFLIR pod

AGM-158 JASSM

Harpoon

Fuel tanks (1200L, etc.)

AN/APG-73 radar

AN/ALR-67 RWR

HMD

Specifications:

Spoiler

The Aussie Hornet measures 17.07 meters in length, stands 4.67 meters tall, and has a wingspan of 11.43 meters. The wing area of the Hornet is 36.79 square meters. In terms of performance, the Hornet can reach a maximum speed of 1,915 km/h at an altitude of 10,970 meters. It has a combat ceiling of 15,057 meters and an initial rate of climb of 18,276 meters per minute. When it comes to landing, the Hornet’s speed is 242 km/h. The aircraft’s empty weight is 10,455 kg, and it has a maximum takeoff weight of 25,401 kg. The Hornet is powered by two General Electric F404-GE-400 afterburning turbofans, which provide a thrust of 4,808 kg when dry and 7,257 kg with afterburner.

Sources:

Spoiler

McDonnell Douglas Hornet [A21] | Australian Military Aviation History

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet in Australian service - Wikipedia

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet - Wikipedia

Fourth Generation AAMs - The Rafael Python 4

Here are some awesome air-to-air photos of RAAF F/A-18 “Classic” Hornets - The Aviation Geek Club

F/A-18 Classic Hornet | Australian War Memorial

https://www.contactairlandandsea.com/2015/06/30/set-major-milestones-over-iraq/

RAAF performing well on OKRA - Australian Defence Magazine

F/A-18A Hornet Image Gallery

It's Official: Canada's CF-18 Hornet Fighters Are Set To Get New Advanced Radars

Mcdonel Douglas Fa-18 Hornet · The Encyclopedia of Aircraft David C.

MILAVIA Aircraft - McDonnell Douglas / Boeing F/A-18 Hornet Specifications

https://web.archive.org/web/20240303152426/https://raafansw.org.au/docPDF/Book_Review_-_the_Classic.pdf

ADF Serials - F/A-18A&B  Hornet

Thanks a lot for reading! If you have any extra information, then feel free to share them in the replies! As always, have a good day :)

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be such a funny prank if we just…

Pls gaijin?

4 Likes

I had the image originally in the suggestion, but I removed it, as idk if the Phase 1 HUG could carry it. Would be funny tho.

2 Likes

Aww man :(

1 Like

Don’t forget the BOLs

3 Likes

Your armament list is missing AIM-9M (ofc in the pictures), which would be what it gets.
Unfortunately it increasingly seems like we’ll be getting this and Swiss F-18s instead of Typhoons for quite some time.

2 Likes

+1! Idk why…

1 Like

+1, I’d be surprised if this doesn’t get added to UK (mainly because of the ASRAAM)

1 Like

Yea forgot to remove the Aim-9 images, as they got replaced with ASRAAM (for this specific variant)

F/A-18A HUG Phase 2.4 standard ?

F/A-18A (RAAF) HUG equipped AN/AAQ-28(V) Litening AT targeting pod but not Litening II

+1 from me. I have the 2.4 in my sub tree suggestion as well as the og F/A-18A for the RAAF. It’s funny that we basically spied on the USA to unlock the code in the targeting systems. Apparently they were locked at the start preventing us from choosing who would be ID’ed as friend and foe.

2 Likes