Questions about the new 2S38's changes and possible balance

Because should the need arise, like the Gepard it can attack armored vehicles. Its a Spaag with a dedicated feed for anti-armor munition just like Gepard. Its why it has restrictions the same way the Gepard does.

Did you read the sources I provided? Read again:

“The Navy’s Antitank System” by John Larry Baer (staff consultant to the firm that represents Oto Melara): “Unlike small calibers (30-, 35-, or 40-mm.), this system would provide the Army with stand-off capability against vehicles on the ground, or aircraft and helicopters coming in for a strike.”

Like seriously idk how you can look at a 35mm Gepard with only APDS and the 76mm OTOMATIC that can pen MBTs at 1.5km and AFVs at 2.2km and think they are meant for the exact same thing.

Well dont have to look at that, i just look at what they pitch it as and they pitch it as a Spaag that i better than the Gepard.

And in game they are both spaag, they both have 2 seperate feeds, and they both get treated the same way when it comes to anti-tank munition

i do not have enough flags to flag all the otomatic posts here as spam :/

The Gepard is pitched as an SPAAG only, and the OTOMATIC is pitched as an SPAA that can also engage ground targets in both attack and self defense - just like the 2S38.

They pitch it as a Spaag with extra capabilities should the need arise. They mention engaging being able handle ground targets, but they detail its spaag capability.

Its not pitched as some multi-purpose capability vehicle. Its pitched with bonuses the Gepard cant do as well as the OTO can (almost as if its being pitched as a bettet alternative with integration on older MBT chassises being phased out)

No, it’s pitched as an SPAAG with extra capabilities - full stop. Attacking ground targets in attack (and self-defense) is quite literally one of the three major things it’s meant for.

It is explicitly described as actually providing “stand-off capability against armored vehicles on the ground,” (“The Navy’s Antitank System”) and that its APFSDS is “able to penetrate the frontal armour of a Soviet T-62 tank at 1,500m. Effective range against an armoured personnel carrier is greater than 2,200m” (“Rivista Militare”).

And when looking at how Gaijin describes the 2S38, the OTOMATIC is quite literally the same type of system: a AA gun with added anti-tank rounds/capability put onto a donor chassis ([Development] 2S38 - Fast and Angry - News - War Thunder):

“The new Russian 2S38 SPAAG armed with an automatic 57mm cannon comes to War Thunder as a light tank capable of countering both aerial and ground targets.”

“The vehicle originally designed as an anti-aircraft artillery system is able to counter both aircraft and armored vehicles, including tanks!”

Please don’t envy us, we really suffering penetrating TOP TIER MBTS, there’s literally nothing to envy.

I like tanks in that kind of situation like M41D or Pt-76B.

I’m sorry, it had to be done XD

1 Like

i had to shoot a strv 10 times to the side its still alive and 2a7 too, the bvm and t90m can easily be killed.

Totally different designs,

Strv 12s and Leopard 2As got less weak spots and there’s more space between the crew.

Even T-90M and T-80BVM got a good armor, the number of crew and how they’re packed so close to each other makes it a weak point on this design.

No problem, you got 4 days to send this image.

Not considering the position.

Thank you for repeating what i said.

But yeah, ive outlined very clearly why the OTOMATIC has the restrictions it does.

Idk why you are on the tangent "oh it can do other things! "

Well yes and no, that 40 ammo is 20 rounds each gun, and that “clip” is not located on inside of turret, and usual loadout is 320 ammo / gun on inside and since main use is AA, you might quess it right, that they dont load full apds on that purpose. And it balances that thing a lot also. :D

“an SPAAG with extra capabilities - full stop” =/= “a Spaag with extra capabilities should the need arise.”

The OTOMATIC is intended to attack armored vehicles as one of its main roles, the Gepard is meant to maybe be able to defend itself if it really needs to.

1 Like

If it was, then it would be pitched as a support vehicle that is multipurpose. Its not, its advertised as a spaag capable of dealing with some armored threats, such as old MBTs.

Still dont know why you are on a tangent about spaag being able to do more than 1 thing, as if it changes anything about how its treated in game.

No, it is literally stated in documents from Oto Melara that it is intended to fight air vehicles and armored ground vehicles.

The 2S38 is the exact same type of vehicle IRL and it gets to have unlimited APFSDS, yet it is fine to be considered as both an SPAA and anti-tank vehicle because? What, it has a smaller caliber cannon with a worse APFSDS round than the OTOMATIC, and that makes it better at anti-tank duties?

1 Like

listed as one of its capabilities yes, but still a spaa. Its why in the material you will mostly see the Anti-air capability discussed and why its also i the same material called a spaag and not a multi-purpose support vehicle.

Does not have any secondary feed mechanism for the purpose of anti-tank ammunition. Its been mentioned many many times. So it has no reason for any restriction to be applied.

Its labeled light tank probably because its to go along with a commitment of not selling spaa premiums.

Gaijin has taken liberties in terms of classifying vehicles in game. See M18 Hellcat

If you want to know exactly how the 2S38 would be treated if it was labeled as a spaa, see the Lvkv 9040.

Like the main reason the OTO, Gepard and others have anti-tank munition limitations is very very very clearly because of secondary feed. 2S38, Lvkv9040, AMX-30 DCA and so on do not have that secondary feed and therefore have no anti-tank munition limitations.