PUMA - Overtiered or still good?

Hello.

Currently, I’m 70k rp away from purchasing the PUMA as it’s in sale so I figure why not purchase it.

However, after seeing its stats and everything i’m a bit concerned if I should even try to play this thing. It seems fun once you get past the stock APDS grind but it seems overtiered compared to what it has to fight.

Does anyone know if this thing is still good? I’d like to play it if it is since it seems like a blast but don’t want to waste 240k crewing it when i’m low on silver right now.

Massively lacking in firepower with no ATGMs, as well as mediocre mobility and armour that- while better than most IFVs- won’t stop any tank cannon or ATGM you face. Unless you really like autocannon-only vehicles, would not recommend. If you’ve got the Vilkas, that will always be better, or even the Begleit is typically more effective.

2 Likes

At it current br of 10.0 it is kinda bad, use the bagelpanzer 57 instead.

Having not touched it myself, it looks unimpressive to me, but a friend of mine swears by it. From my time playing the 9040s, I can say that autocannon only lights at the tier offer a new and novel, but not nessesarily effective playstyle. I find fun in trying to make something unconventional like that work, and when you do get the flank it’s very satisfying to just rip through stuff with an autocannon. And I find it more fun doing that then playing something like the Leo 2, which is just so good at everything it feels kinda bland to play.

So ultimately I would say it’s worth it if you think you’d enjoy a significant change of pace, but if you’re just looking for effective vehicles it might be worth a skip.

I played recently is a piñata with tracks, dont touch it is overtiered and dead.

2 Likes

The Puma has a problem. It can withstand too much for an armored personnel carrier. You can take a lot with it and you have really fine passive protection systems like the LWS. And so he climbed in the BR in the past. But you simply don’t have any firepower. You often even have problems penetrating tanks from the side on the BR.
BUT: He’s great as a scout. So if you can live with the fact that the KDR is abysmally bad, it can even be used in this role in the 11.7 setup. There is a significant lack of spotters. And you are therefore extremely valuable to the team in this role.

2 Likes

Stock you can’t even pen some MBTs from the side… and spaded your pen is still trash and you lack any gimmicks to help get kills.

It’s overtiered and doesn’t really have much going for its BR, like people said here the Begleitpanzer is far more capable at taking out tanks far beyond its BR and unlike the PUMA it has working HE-VT for anti-air duties, PUMA would be good at 10.0 if AHEAD actually worked as intended.

1 Like

It sucks lol. Low firepower, low protection, you’re HUGE and easy to kill.

Avoid.

2 Likes

Schützenpanzer Puma IFV: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. - Page 2 - Light Vehicles - War Thunder - Official Forum 140 pages of why its shit and doesnt have its features it should have. Besides that it was recently just nerfed even more in terms of turret rotation from 60 down to 45 degrees. To put it mildly dont pursue the german TT further as its dead due to community and devs having a hate on the german TT. Play US, Russia or Sweden all three of them are braindead easy mode.

3 Likes

No? Us gets Undertiered planes, Sweden has meta vehicles currently. Neither are “braindead easymode” and America currently sits at an abysmal winrate in ground and below average in air due to premium spam. Sweden is currently meta at top tier. That does not mean they are “easy mode” and only perform as well as they due because their players are generally more experienced.

1 Like

So against everything everyone has said on here, I decided to crew the PUMA and try it as I have never actually played an autocannon vehicle before and wanted to try it.

Holy crap, I love it. The stock APDS is not amazing but it’s nowhere near bad it shreds the side of MBT’s. I’m not doing amazing with it but it’s so fun and easily one of the most chill stock grinds I have ever had.

I was expecting it to be really bad but this thing has ignited my love for autocannon vehicles and I can’t wait to get the BMP-2 in the Russian tech tree too.

1 Like

lol so you proved my exact point that you making these threads and asking for advice/opinions (of this nature) was a complete waste of time.

1 Like

Its mobility is not mediocre at 10.0

"You do not seem to understand my point.

My point was you butt into this conversation saying to come to my own conclusions and I told you that my conclusion was to get other peoples opinions and if you didn’t have anything more to contribute… then leave.

Pretty simple tbh. But sure, thousands of people could love a vehicle and I hate it sure that’s a possibility but what exactly do I do if I make the mistake of crewing something like the Tam 2C and find out it wasn’t good without getting any knowledge beforehand?

I come here to ask these questions to prevent 900k silver from going down the drain by purchasing this thing and finding out it’s bad.

Now if you do not have anything else to add to this conversation except calling me a prick, I request you leave and do not come back."

so you say all this… then you ask for advice… everyone tells you its (the PUMA) is trash and then youre like

“So against everything everyone has said on here, I decided to crew the PUMA and try it as I have never actually played an autocannon vehicle before and wanted to try it.”

Proving my original and MAIN point of:

Hey man, thought I told you to leave a while ago because you were being a compete dick and not contributing everything to these convos.

But no, I really didn’t prove your point. This thread is the 1 exception and 1 exception doesn’t prove your point.

Also, kind of pathetic that you came here stalking this post just to do a “gotcha” moment. Would recommend the outside world. It’s good for your health! 😃

1 Like

so not only do you try to call me out for being right PRE imptively, about you asking questions like this…

You then Do exactly what i advise and are suggesting or saying would be Best to happen…

and then After you blatantly admit that i was right, by You doing what you said was a bad idea, of mine… you then lash out and call me names and say even MORE retarded shit…

Wow… just Wow.

Hey bud. You are the one continuing this conversation and my choice was made not because I thought the PUMA was good, but rather because it was an auto cannon vehicle and my first auto cannon vehicle so I wanted to try it anyway. If it was bad, I wouldn’t reply to this thread, if it was good, I would share my findings.

Thank you for proving my how pathetic you are that you continue to keep this going on an online forum. Really shines on your character.

I seriously do not believe you have anything better to do with your life than just sit around on this forum stalking my posts do you?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.