Problem with M109A1

We have a problem with M109A1 and maybe other versions of this vehicle. I found out that its max speed is 65km/h not 56km/h and it has gun stabilization gaijin pls fix.

source:ODIN - OE Data Integration Network
In Snail we trust.

ODIN isn’t that reliable source, by the way, it’s very superficial information. And this stabilization it’s probably to later models and used in very specific situations.

3 Likes

do you have official documents, and a lot of them as that’s the only information they may take as evidence.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder

For bug reports use this form.

The source also does not state, for which variant the specifications are. They could be from a later variant, as they recieved engine upgrades over time (as stated in the source itself).

A primary source, like the maual, offical documents from the government or manufracturer (all declassified of course) are the most reliable sources.

With secondary sources, like books or websites, the reliability is a mixed bag. Some sources are good and reliable, others are not. Always see where the secondary sources get theit information from.

The problem with the M109 is that it sits at 6.0, and fights alongside ww2 vehicles.
Ruins immersion in the game. Very unrealsitic. Germans having a Panther II is more realistic than an M109 at the time.

5 Likes

And is very easy to kill.

1 Like

Not that easy.

It’s not OP, just so incredibly annoying. You can’t be hulldown because it will just shoot your roof, you can’t face it headon because you will die if you don’t kill its gunner.

5 Likes

That and the 2s1 ,get them gone ,they ruin 6BR and plying heavy tanks in general.

it’s the 109 killing you that is the issue and the game destroyer.

Why didn’t Germany just add heavy machine guns or even an MG 151 20mm cannon to their Tiger and Panther tank during WW2 while facing a self-propelled howitzer from 1973? Are they stupid?

/(sarcasm)

2 Likes

A gun that physically doesn’t fit in the turret is more realistic than a 155mm SPH that, I don’t know, actually existed and was mostly based on WW2 technology? This is a crazy take.

To be fair, these things literally cannot be hull-down due to a near-total lack of gun depression, turret armor, and massive ammorack located in the back of the turret. They’re huge as houses, less stealthy than a brass band, and have no stabilizers+bouncy suspension… Usually, one getting a good first shot is rare unless they’ve either gotten themselves into a dangerous position or found a good one.

1 Like

But it’t time traveling back to 1943.
It’s more realistic that they manage to fit the 10.5 into the turret somehow back then, than that they invent time travel and send some tanks from the future back in time.

2 Likes

Is this not the same as the Pz4C (1939) time travelling to see the A1E1 Independent (1922) at the same BR?
Meanwhile Sturmtiger (5.7) gets far more assured kills than something like an M109A1 (6.3) while also having an improved rangefinder and actual armor :P

3 Likes

if you dont see them you dont see them simple and they will one shot your WW2 heavy and ruin your WW2 game

1 Like

You know what else will one-shot your WW2 heavy tank?

IS-2
Any ISU with gun above 120mm
Any vehicle with 90mm M3
Any vehicle with short 88
Brummbar
Sturmtiger
Jagdtiger
Dicker Max/Sturer Emil/Nashorn
Churchill AVRE
Italian 90mm-armed SPGs/TDs
Stormpjäs fm/43-44

And a good few of those have far better protection, suspension, gun depression, reload speed, other important factors compared to the “postwar” artillery pieces added more recently :P

7 Likes

Mostly WW2 in a WW2 scenario fine. I actually served with the M109 so why would I want to see it in a WW2 scenario? You maybe be a kid and fail to understand that ,fine but dont lecture me.I expect to be killed by a WW2 tank in a WW2 setting not some 80s thing.

Do you know any history? Do you even know what realism is in a video game or are you one of those millennial who is killing video games dead ? As they are dying currently due to decisions made by people like you.

3 Likes

War Thunder has not, and will never be, a WW2 setting. You’ve already been told this, and you have to know it at some level at this point. The Pandora’s box here was never closed in the first place.

I know in history, the A1E1 Independent never entered the battlefield. In history, encountering a Tiger was relatively rear, and a king tiger even more so… And there was only one T26E1-1 with plates welded to it. Realistically, most german tanks would fail to even get to the battlefield properly, or take hours to maintain after a match… Which is why the game aims for authenticity in vehicle mechanics, rather than any sort of realism in period matchmaking.

And funny thing about the M109s, since you say you served in them… When they were introduced in the '63, they were pretty horribly underspec’d even then, and taken in for an upgrade in '73… Which was pretty much just a longer cannon. If indirect fire were reasonably possible in WT, I’d agree that it wouldn’t be appropriate, but given it’s a glass cannon direct fire vehicle ingame… It’s just another one to join the ranks of already-mentioned vehicles, worse than even some WW2 vehicles :P

1 Like

Giving Germany the PzH 2000 at like 10.3 would’ve been so much better than the M109G if Germany HAS to have a HE slinging SPG

1 Like

Yes, that would be a far better idea. And 10.3 is not to high for it, because of the 3.3 seconds autoloader.

2 Likes

First 5 BRs are WW2 with a few exceptions so…