(Post-)Soviet aircraft technology and history general discussion

That only things I can remember for flat nozzle in Russia

Probably the first picture

It’s stagnated since Soviet times, but there are new examples of aircraft tech produced in Russia. The IIR seeker of the Kh-38MTE for one, as the USSR had nothing like IIR tech for air to ground missiles. Thermal sighting systems in general are something Russia has made a lot of progress in compared to the USSR.

Stealth aircraft are another area where Russia is ahead of the USSR, as the closest the Soviets had to stealth was the Oka ballistic missile, and even that is a somewhat different type of technology.

That’s missile tech and not aircraft.

The SU-57 begun it’s design in soviet times. And as far as I have seen nothing really new has been developed around aircraft by Russia, they mostly look at what others have made and do the same.

Sort of a “you can copy my homework but change it so it’s not obvious” situation.

Edit:
Wtf. My post got flagged…

I really hope that people false flagging get some sort of punishment. That type of behaviour should not be encouraged…

1 Like

No.
Pls continue here

Idk how this isn’t embarrassing enough that he has to keep going like he wasn’t just outright wrong all the time.

According to Ziggy the Falcon 9 & R-77 grid fins are used in the same manner & SpaceX uses the RD-180 on their russian rockets. Oh, and they don’t re-enter the atmosphere or land.

Are you talking to me or yourself?

Yes they deflect to change attitude of the rocket. You did not see the video?

Yes, I am a 100% right. Space X used US government launches prior to building own engines. The US government uses the RD-180. That is a RUSSIAN rocket.

He added “they are hoping to move away from that.” Why would they hope to move away from that if they never used Russian Rockets from the start?

@Celestia @MiG_23M @_Fantom2451

As the video shows.

Grid fins are not used for airbrakes. That absurd. None of you have any idea how fast reentry is. 19,180 mph (30,870 km/h; 8,570 m/s) The Grid fins are uses for directional change (attitude) while the reentry boost is the ONLY thing that can slow the Rocket down.

I am 100% correct they work EXACTLY like the grid fins of the R-77 :)

Hope this information helps.

Demonstrating inability to comprehend basic text and failure to understand the method from which the grid “airbrakes”.

Lack of understanding is on full display.

I concur that they are not airbrakes amd their purpose is for directional control and flight stabilisation to allow a rocket to effectively fly backwards.

However, they can be used as airbrakes in the same way that the control surfaces split (similar to the rudder airbrake on the su57 and f22)

Any control surface can be used in this manner, but grid fins are a lot more efficient as a lifting component than a planar fin of the same surface area.

Their placement at the top of the booster is a key feature for stabilising a rocket that was flying forwards when leaving the atmosphere, but is now going backwards during re-entry

When the fins are deployed they have to produce enough drag to keep the rocket stable and pointed in the right direction, as without them the center of drag would be in the wrong place, and the rocket body would start cartwheeling through the atmosphere.

I reccomend playing Kerbal Space Program and watching Scott Manley and Matt Lowne if you are interested in learning more about the rocket and space industry.

2 Likes

I appreciate this.

True.

But we are talking about reentry speeds. Slowing down is the boosters job.

how else is it going to control its attitude? the grid fins…

Why does everybody recommend I play another video game? Is this the education we are working with?

Look the only thing I was wrong about was that Grid fins are actually used for control at reentry as opposed to launch.
They work exactly the same as the R-77. @_Fantom2451 provided proof of that.

Just watch video. They deploy, the booster ignites, and the grid fins correct attitude all the way down.

Why do I need to play another video game to understand this?

To clarify, the booster doesn’t reach anywhere near rentry speeds.

Parasitic and induced drag are exponentially increased by speed and pressure.

As the rocket ploughs through the lower atmosphere after doing its second controlled flip, the speed decreases from 700m/s to 400m/s without needing to use the rocket engines.

It’s teaches a lot about basic rocketry and aerodynamics from the ground up and as such it is a learning tool for beginers as much as it is a game.

Several prominent young scientists started out playing KSP before working at NASA, ESA and more.

You don’t need or have to play it, but if you are interested in learning more, I do reccomend it.

What difference does it make its Mach 4+

I will keep that in mind.

Such as who?

The booster isn’t used for majority of the descent

The grid fins provide sufficient drag and AoA to take the best course / trajectory for slowing down. This maximizes efficiency and reduces required fuel amount to conduct the landing.

He has a college education in physics lmao

Yes, I have a associates degree out of riverside CA.

There was literally nothing else to take :)

Was it an education to kill for?

I have shed my share of blood, yes. I am a man who has faced many battles & overcome odds many never make it out or even attempt to overcome.

I am also educated. The biggest threat :)

Education is the most lethal weapon one can have. I encourage all our younger bros in the community stay in school always & strive for a better life no matter what. I am the most equipped to give that advice out.

It’s a shame you do not have one. Oh well.

Hope this information helps.