Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Displayed on the HUD? Does it not mean MFD/radar display?

Ah dang, seems like we are out of luck then until we receive new pods

No, there is HUD symbology for the PPS mode.

The TERMA pod on Tornado GR4 and Harrier GR9 should detect launches just like the AMASE system on the Apache.

I don’t have alot of information on the Zeus ECM/RWR on the Harrier GR5/7/9 and the frequency bands it detects, it might be it is even more modern than the ARI 18241 and can pick up K band.

It does seem to be as capable as the ARI 18241;

It’s annoying that it doesn’t remember which setting you were on. For example you have to cycle through everything to switch from PD HDN SRC to SRC. If you are in ACM mode when you go back to SRC mode it defaults back to whatever you were on before.

I don’t seem to have that?

From PD HDN SRC turn on ACM mode. Then hit change radar mode to go from PD ACM to ACM. if you lock a target and lose lock from here it will swap back to PD HDN SRC.

Not finding much myself to the TERMA POD, most i am finding are model kit parts.
German pods with the ability to detect the K band might be either Cerberus/TSPJ or the already mentioned BOZ-101 EC,

But electronic warfare stuff still is a thing for the future for now we will have to do without

TERMA has the same set of UV sensors found on the AMASE system (AN/AAR-57 MAWS), and has a total countermeasure load of 240.

Spoiler

Spoiler

If i get it right 45 more then the BOZ 101 EC then, but the best part of those pods propably is that those should be able to take the same amount of flares and chaff? and arent restricted to mainly chaff?

Honestly in that case gajin should just have given us those pods just without the maws etc capability, they should be able to be activated manualbly as well, right?

Yes, they utilize the AN/ALE-47 dispensers which can take flare or chaff.

The TERMA wasn’t in service until GR4 so its a no go for it on GR1/IDS.

ah damnit true, the excitment went to my head, BOZ only went into service 2017 as well and will only be available for ASSTA 3 , man i am looking forward to the better versions and hopefully they will come with most features, else they arent much different then the current tornados besides implementation of jdams , brimstone etc

Actually, did the italian tornado ever use the ASRAAM?

Something to remember is that its not just the Tracking radar that would be emitting, there is normally a dedicated datalink / illumination antenna explicitly for missile guidance which uses a novel waveform. So it is likely that launches at very least should be being detected.

Though as a dedicated Missile Guidance warning(s) aren’t actually implemented yet for some reason its another way that some warning to be given, though it wouldn’t be as useful.

ehmmm, not sure dont think so

No the Italian ADV won’t get any better missiles as they were returned to RAF service ahead of the upgrades.

I have a report in for this for Tornado but I’ll expand that to the Harrier GR7 too.

Not even AMRAAM?

nup, italien tornado has only aim 9l as defence i think

And skyflash DF/Supertemp

the adv, not sure if you which version you meaned