Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Y-1-7
“Change Radar/IRST search mode”, it will cycle through available ACM patterns.

Yep, I can get that, but that specific ACM mode, is suppose to be radically above the the aircraft?

was watching this:

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/YO1kKUNGhoo?t=80

and that same mode is located in-line with the aircraft, not above it

There is the square, the vertical scan, and the off-bore vertical scan mode. This would allow the Tornado to pre-emptively lock people as it is turning to prepare missiles sooner or to potentially fire ordinance such as ASRAAM off-bore without a helmet mounted sight if necessary.

The F-14 also has these modes.

So that mode is functioning correctly? It just looks very very different in gunjobs video. Or has it been changed since then?

Because I have little square, big square and rectangle well above the jet

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HoFOEY_qI

But in Gunjobs video, its not radically above the jet, but in-line with it

Spoiler

Just looks very different, that’s all, but was 3 months ago, not sure if anything has changed

It probably changed. @Gunjob

1 Like

That is what I assume, but I also want to double check that im not going crazy. This radar has confused me enough in the past week.

PPS mode scans from +10° to +55° in elevation:

Do you have the British estimated AIM-120 ranges charts and such? Can you DM me some of that. I’m doing some custom missile file testing again and I need to use data from public sources.

Unfortunately not. The weapons manual only contains a very high level overview of AMRAAM. The detailed description is in the classified supplement to the manual, which the RAF refused to release (understandably as both AMRAAM and ASRAAM are still in use by the RAF). And firing envelope / range diagrams are typically in the tactics manual (which again they haven’t released - only the pre-AMRAAM version was released).

Can you send me anything that you have or find interesting? I’d be very grateful if I could contribute more to the AMRAAM thread and it would assist me in my testing.

Starting with in-game missiles, moving on to future stuff now that I’ve gotten the hang of editing all of these and knowing what each line in the code does. I can create missiles such as ASRAAM and whatnot as well, though as Gaijin admitted their TVC stuff isn’t prepared yet.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/955829235493273680/1133280195739123733/image.png

1 Like

That was the old elevation scan that was just copy pasted from the F-14, it was updated to the correct one later on. Which is +10 to +55.

Got a question for the rwr, so currently planes cant detect the radar microwave range of the pantsyr, do more modern tornados have a better rwr that is able to detect it, or is it just that the needed rwr isnt implemented in the game yet?

The F3’s RWR covered A-J NATO Bands back in Oct-1987, if it was updated in later in life I don’t know. As I don’t have the Tactics manuals from the 90’s and 2000’s.

Not X band? I guess that was brought with the upgrade.

The Tornado GR1 was upgraded to the ARI 18241/2 (the same RHWR as the F3) around 1993 and that seems to have the same 0.7-18Ghz (A-J NATO band).
The GR1 tactics manual doesn’t go into the same detail on the RHWR as the older F3 Tactics manual.

Oh, so there is a chance that it just won’t detect modern radars?

Actually, X band seems 7-11.2GHz so we might be fine.

Yeah if it’s in the 0.7-18Ghz range the ARI 18241 should only need a threat classification, which would’ve been updated with new threat types throughout its service life.

1 Like

So it is a bug that would need to get reported?

Otherwise i only found that german tornado versions received enhanced rwr systems as part of the BOZ 101 EC pods

Seems the track radar on Pantsir is K band which is out of range for the Tornado RHWR.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was based on the ARI 18241, especially if it was upgraded around 1990’s.

Frequency bands;

Spoiler