Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

How is it an upgrade though?

• Better radar
  • Better missiles
  • More CMs
  • Faster

The only thing the Phantoms had it beat on was the ability to turn. Whilst you wont be winning turn fights still in the F3. You also wont be dying needlessly because you couldnt turn enough to enter a notch or evade someone making a gun strafe on you.

1 Like

Ah thought you were comparing the early Phantoms with IDS Tornados

No I assume he means the Phantom FGR2/FG1 vs the Tornado F3. With both at the same BR and both fullfilling a similar role. The F3 was more of a side grade over a straight upgrade like it should have been upon arrival. At long last, it is the FGR2s successor.

What happened with the BOL pods on the F.3?

They used to drop like 3-4 chaff at a time, now they drop only one

Don’t get me wrong, its a nice buff, but I never saw it in the changelogs

Also, why is the Tornado IDS/GR now faster than the F.3? I could go Mach 1.15 with 5 bombs on my IDS, but I can barely break Mach 1.12 in my F3 with full weapons (only missiles)

Gaijin logic, it’s a side effect of the new FM but can’t be fixed because of spaghetti coding.

Well, its not ideal but I’ll take the new FM over the old one any day

Me too it’s a trade worth taking any day of the week, I can actually survive missiles now.

But again it’s frustrating the fact it’s a give and take, and not a even intended.

I just hope that if/when we get combat thrust modeled. They over-tune it slightly to compensate for the lost speed. I guess that is the best we can hope for unless they are forced to totally overhaul major parts of the game that allows them to totally finish the FM

1 Like

donr know why they didnt do what they do to alit of other jets and have thrust increase near to mach.

Yeah, surprsied this drag problem wasnt fixed with increased thrust. heck the only way the harriers even hover is because they bodged them with more thrust

The lost speed is horrifying. Pretty much anything can just turn a 180 and run you down very easily, and since BOL flares may as well be firecrackers you have to work hard to defeat missiles which slows you down even more.

3 Likes

because the chonkier draggier airframe should be faster…More fun from Gaijin

1 Like

TBF, i havent died to many radar missiles as you dont even need chaff if your notching coorecly. Sure, now you cant just chaff the missile while guiding in anymore (which does defeat the purpose of a radar that could track while notching) you can still dodge pretty well now which has saved me a bunch. The only problem it hasnt solved is the issue of being able to send radar missiles back, as your too preocupied to do anything anyway as you have to notch. It just means weve traded out our speed for manouverability while still not being able to effectivly return fire at the enemy due to shity SARH (i dont touch the late as whats the point if i still need to research AMRAAMs) as the advantage you did have was being able to track targets while effectivly notching them, allowing for a pretty good chance at the 1 vs 1 joust.

you do get 2 stock so it’s not quite that bad

So now instead of pushing the button once to have half a chance of the bol pods working, you now have to push it 3-5 times.

its better in the long run, but will probably use periodic CM deployment far more actively now

1 Like

It might be better in the long run, but it’d also just be better to fix the bloody things.

What’s broken on the BOLs?

I’m never playing the F.3 late again after stock grinding with 2 9Ls and the shocking state of top tier.

Thankyou multipathing.