Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

which, as Morv, matters not outside of GRB and Sim since you get a honking great big diamond telling you someone’s fired a missile.

@Morvran In the other thread you responded to me asking about the new FM for the tornadoes.
In it you mentioned " Phimat"

I could google what that is, but I find it more engaging to ask people who know. Would you be willing to elaborate on it?

Phimat is a countermeasure pod that adds 216 large calibre chaff. It’s currently only found on the Jaguars but could be added to number of other aircraft. The Tornado F3, F3 Late and ADV could all recieve at least 1 (in place of an Aim-9) or 2 in place of the fuel tanks.

This would give them quite an edge when defeating ARH/SARH missiles as their current chaff located within their BOL Pods is rather nerfed at the moment and very weak

Current list of aircraft missing Phimat are:

Britain:

Harrier Gr3
Buc S2B
Harrier Gr7
Tornado F3
Tornado F3 AOP (Late)

France:

Mirage F1

Italy:

Tornado ADV.

3 Likes

I see! Thanks. Well I only use the ASSTA to do bombing runs in ARB when Im tired of being a fighter.
Its my guilty pleasure aircraft.

I wouldnt trade an AIM9 for a Phimat, Id run them on the droptank pylons since I rarely use tanks anyway.

But it seems the ASSTA couldnt use Phimat anyway so I wont have to think about that!

Maybe we could have the Tornado ECR one day and get actual jammers

Yeah, BOZ Pods give way more anyway.

Yeah, Sky shadow would be an awesome addition for them

1 Like

Secretly hoping Gaijin gives the ASSTA the 9LI. Or potentially the ECR if it ever gets added.

Gameplay wise I wouldnt see much different for the ECR. Basically an ASSTA with a Sky Shadow pod. That is unless Gaijin goes mental

A Tornado ECR with the updraded RB199 Mk105. with more thrust, It’d lose the cannons but gain AIM9L/I. And it’d have the Stormshadow. And It’d have AGM-88’s! Ohh and then I wouldnt have to carry a LITENING pod anymore since it has an internal laser system. I dont have use for the LITENING pod anyway. I carry it cuz it looks cool. I only use dumb bombs because the Paveways are useless in ARB.

I dont know if the German Tornado IDS or ASSTA ever got any guided bombs other than Paveways. That’d be cool

Im of the Opinion that the Gr1, ASSTA1 and A200A should get IRCCM missiles if they insist on them being a higher BR without any differences for the air mode

I wanna see how the new flight performance pans out before I determine wether I think they need IRCCM.

What I think on that doesnt really matter anyway. I mean they give them to the SU39 and SU25B or ST I think too so.

Edit: @Morvran Apparantly the IDS Service Life Extension was passed on to the Devs as a suggestion in Nov 23. Panavia Tornado IDS SLE - Forever Young

That’s a spicy plane. It could carry IRIS-T but thats too much for the game so AIM9LI-1 is still good enough. It wasnt added yet I suspect because the only thing really setting it apart from ASSTA 1 is guided munitions with tech that wasnt in the game untill now.
JDAMS and Glide bombs. But they are here now so nothing is really holding Gaijin back now I think. They could add HARM to it later if SEAD ever becomes a thing

Its weaponry is mad:
Guided Munitions
GBU-54 LJDAM
GBU-24 Paveway III
GBU-16 Paveway II
AS.34 Kormoran II
AGM-88 HARM
HOPE glide bomb
HOSBO glide bomb
Taurus KEPD 350

Dumb Munitions
500 lb Mk 82
1000 lb Mk 83
BL755
Mehrzweckwaffe 1 (MW-1)

Ammunition
27 mm DM83 PELE (no tracer)
27 mm DM93 PELE (tracer)

Other
Rafael LITENING III
Tornado Self Protection Jammer (TSPJ)
Saab Avitronics BOZ-101 EC
New unicolour blue-grey camouflage as used on the Eurofighter

Future Considerations
Brimstone
LaGS (Laser Guided Sidewinder)

@Morvran

Youll be glad to know its on dev now.

2 Likes

Thank god for the F-14A IRIAF spam making this thing get so many downtiers

5 Likes

based. I dont think ive ever gotten an Ace before.
Closest I got was a bunch of 4K’s with Mirages and the Mig29G

Hey all,

Regarding the Tornado FM;

Due to the complexity of programming the Tornado flight model to its ‘dog house plot’ there will be no further tuning of the flight model. There were challenges in keeping the aircraft stable to hit the current flight performance found on the Dev server. As such it’s as close as the Dev’s were able to get it to real life performance within the limits of the game engine.

I understand we’ve lost some top speed at SL in the fray but to get it to were it currently is was a challenge in of itself.

So the FM on Dev is now final.

Cheers

25 Likes

Thanks for all the work youve put it even getting it changed at all, anything was an improvement over the old FM, and at the very least at least it wasnt a Chally 2 Situation.

4 Likes

Fairplay and good of them to be transparent. I’m yet to play the new FM but excited to see how good it is.

3 Likes

The new FM is a really big improvement imo even if we’ve lost some speed, thank you for your hard work :)

2 Likes

infinite sadgeness at no more Mach 1 point something on the deck

Thanks for the feedback, can’t wait to actually be able to somewhat compete in ACM.

2 Likes

Well, that is, unexpected.
Overall we gained a good amount of turn potential, we might have lost an ability to reach top speed in any sensible time tho…
Overall thanks to everyone involved in all those years trying to make is as good as possible. May we meet again over something else, or maybe even it in the years to come.

5 Likes

would have liked for that acceleration wall “limit” to be adjusted but i’ll settle for cooking some more f4s in a dogfight, major thanks

4 Likes

Thanks for all the effort of all the devs.

I am hugely excited to try out the new FM! I’ll install the Dev server after work to do an AB on Live vs Dev!

Regarding the “dog house plot” could you elaborate what that means?

Thanks!

1 Like

4 Likes