Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

I hope we get the choice of either taking Phimat in place of the Tanks or in place of a Aim-9.

In ARB, its an easy choice to take the Phimat in place of the fuel tanks and just run more internal fuel.

In ASB, its not. I quite often takes max fuel and fuel tanks (probably hindenburgs at 12.0 if/when we get them) but Id still like a Phimat and would happily give up a Sidewinder for one.

Mmm, not 100% sure

Ngl this kinda feels like a kick in the nuts lol

This is what I’m saying it’s annoying there isn’t any hard data on the acceleration values aside from anecdotal reports by pilots and that one sentence in the manual which says “acceleration was excellent”

2 Likes

I can’t lie I didnt see much difference in speed / acceleration with the Tornado F.3 on the dev server

It seemed a bit slower above mach 1.1 at sea level, but thats about it

However, the Tornados before and after the FM change do seem far too slow at supersonic speeds. I barely ever break mach 1.3 even when at high alt

1 Like

from what ive tested it feels like it bleeds much more speed inturns, on Live server with Combat flaps and burner TOrnado can stay at its wings out rip speed in a max performance turn, while the dev it bleeds speed,badly, got a clip using combat flaps doing a 360 turn on the deck where the Live server comes out at 600mph when the dev comes out at 330-380mph, or is thing about the sustained rate speed?

1 Like

5% extra thrust would be around 730kgf extra, thats quite a lot

2 Likes

the whole 5% combat thrust bit everyone keeps saying, is that per engine or for both engines simultaneously?

I dont think it would matter, both would give the same thrust increase

“Tornado SAS Damping Issues”

Dev comments

Instability was found after long pitch input, in both up and down direction, pitch regulator will be adjusted.

2 Likes

no, if its 5% increase per engine then thats an overall 10% increase (5% per engine) or if this 5% combat thrust was for BOTH engines, so its ONLY a 5% increase, 2.5% if halved per engine

to keep it simple lets say that each engine produces 7000kgf of thrust, for a total of 14k.

A 5% increase per engine would take it to 7350 per engine, theres two engines, so you get 14700kgf in total.

A 5% increase of total thrust would take it from 14k to 14700. You’re doing 7000 x 1.05 x 2, the order you do the multiplication in doesn’t matter.

No a 5% thrust increase per engine is exactly the same as a 5% overall thrust increase. Let’s assume an aircraft has 2 x 10,000 kgf engines for a total of 20,000 kgf thrust.

Now let’s do the math for 5% total thrust increase:

20,000 kgf x 1.05 = 21,000 kgf

And the math for a 5% increase per engine:

10,000 kgf * 1.05 = 10,500 kgf
10,500 kgf * 2 = 21,000 kgf

Both get you 21,000 kgf of thrust.

2 Likes

With the nado having more drag in the dev server adding it would probably be pointless. So combat thrust to be impactful would need the drag to be addressed first,

But you’re right it’s not a small amount

It could certainly help in other situations such as dogfights or when notching, it would still be good to have

But i see what you mean, it probably wouldn’t increase speed much at high mach

it does yes, should hopefully get that improved a tiny bit at lower speeds with a fix, nerfed at high speeds.

it would be 16,500lbf with combat thrust, or 7484kgf

Ah, awesome

I think it does bleed more speed from a high speed turn but you are turning for less time, so it feels like you are coming out of the turn faster

yeah you do turn faster, i timed a full 360 with combat flaps on on both the live and dev on the deck at 600mph (min fuel) and i got a turn time of ~19 seconds for live and ~16 for the dev, if i did a 180 instead of a 360 the difference would be much great probabally, the instant pull is leauges better than on the live