Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Is this related to the seeker underperforming at low altitudes?

Yes, but for the time being that is an intentional mechanic that impacts all SARH’s.

I wasn’t asking what it was/why it occurred. I was just simply saying it never seems to happen to me with the MiG-29 radar/R-27ER.
Must be this skill issue you say we have.

I too have found that R-27ERs are not affected by ground clutter to the same degree as Skyflash. I’ve had times where I’ve fired a skyflash for it to self destruct or slam in the ground (im guessing due to ground clutter) but the R-27ER has tracked straight and true

2 Likes

Well that’s plain wrong, all SARH are affected by multipathing. All to the same degree as well.

It’s not a clutter effect, it offsets the guidance.

Guess we’ll just have to take your word for it, rather than the personal experiences of many players. R-27ER is leagues more reliable than any other SARH in the game. Whatever voodoo magic is going on behind the scenes doesn’t really matter, and I don’t really care. In gameplay terms, it gives a huge edge to the MiG-29, which in terms of realism it probably shouldn’t have.

If you can provide some video evidence of the R-27ER ignoring multipath affect then sure. But having defeated them using multipathing hundreds of times I know it’s not the case.

Now there are ways to beat multipathing, one is right as the missile gets close you can sharply pitch up so that the radar hits it’s mechanical limits and it briefly raises the lock box to the target before the radar drops lock. But that’s mostly just cheesing the in game mechanic.

I think that was was a bug / quirk for a short period of time while they were refining the implementation of the inertial guidance of the AIM-54 / R-27ER and people were turning off the radar before impact and it was guiding true because of it.

1 Like

You need video evidence to establish the R-27ER is more reliable than the superTEMP or 7F/M? Have you played the mig29?

Last time I tried to submit video evidence of a bug on the old forums it was ignored and “only bugged in test flight,” despite my video being from a custom battle. So sorry, I’m not going to waste my time trying to compile however much evidence would be required to convince you. Given your technical moderator role, I would have assumed multiple players reporting the same issue on the forum would be something you would investigate in game personally, rather than just telling them they have a skill issue

“video evidence of the R-27ER ignoring multipath affect”

I am fully aware the R-27ER is the best SARH in game. That isn’t in dispute.

1 Like

We’re making progress then.

What makes it the best SARH in the game for you? Because for me it’s how infrequent the missile decides to completely ignore a target that is below 200m altitude.

Fastest time to target thanks to its bonkers speed and acceleration, meaning even if fired first at equal distance from a SuperTEMP or 7F/M you’re likely to win. It however is still bound by the multipath affect just like all SARH.

Fun fact, despite the gr1 having 2 cannons, the port one wasn’t used as the vibrations from the firing knocked out the INS. I think it was port at least.

1 Like

It also has that different tracking mode. Where the Skyflash and most other BVRs explode if you loose lock for a milli-second. The R-27 series of BVRs don’t . They just keep going. I think this plays a big part of the issue. Even with the new radar, skyflash loose lock all the time. R-27ERs dont

Defyn posted a video about the Italian ADV. The Skyflash he fired lost lock on the original target, but he locked on to another, the missile tracked and took it out.

I literally just had this happen to me

With how buggy I find the replay system, especially with SB, I’m just actively starting OBS everytime I do anything where I normally encounter issues so I get footage of the bahaviour easily

quality of video will get better shortly

This is the TWS behaviour mentioned before. I doubt you’d ever actually see it in an ARB match, but as you see, the TWS mode fixates on something not within the desired radar range. and you can see when I cycle ranges, its actually more like 80km away. This kind of fixating behaviour makes TWS extremely annoying to use in SB because it will just lock onto something miles away. Usually the AF guardians

Interesting, I have had something similar in the past. If you can clip it, take an ingame screenshot and get a CLOG, I’ll forwarded it.

Which bit sorry