Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

@Fireball_2020 it is definitely looking like the strip indicator can be incorrect under various conditions. I think this paragraph is also as close as we can get to written confirmation that 1 unit = 1 degree. The manual gives all AoA values in units, but this paragraph says that the values in the manual should be interpreted as referring to the value displayed on the HUD, rather than the AoA indicator. If the HUD gives AoA in degrees rather than units then the lack of any paragraph (anywhere in the manual as far as I can see) telling you the conversion must mean the conversion is 1 to 1.

The inaccuracy of the AoA indicator instrument also makes some sense as it is directly fed by the right AoA probe. By comparison the HUD is fed by the air data computer which could use it’s other inputs to correct for any sideslip errors. The AoA output from the ADC is also referred to as “True AoA”

Spoiler

As far as I’m concerned this is convincing enough proof that the conversion from AoA units to degrees is 1:1. Would you agree?

2 Likes

Ye I think that might be pretty valid evidence.

Now we can finally work out if it is pulling enough AoA

The answer is still no lol, it’s better but I was still doing about 16-17°

Although, you might not want to get it changed, any change would be reduce lift, increase AOA pull, increasing drag for the same turn. xD

Which puts back with the Tornado always feeling like its sinking and wanting to fall out of the sky.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/844671240605138954/1124719977736446034/Parameters.jpg

Looks like PGMs are finally fixed, and can appropriately launch them at long ranges now. No more bugs where it’ll self explode in point mode as far as I can tell through multiple testing.

1 Like

Now the FM seems to be fixed, also AIM-9L explosive mass is underperforming - Community Bug Reporting System

2 Likes

It seems that AGM-65D and PGMs do not actually track moving targets at 10-12km, can anyone here confirm this through their testing?

Technically datamine does say that both missiles are supposed to be able to track at 12km, but this does not appear to be the case for in-game testing.

Here’s a video showcasing the problem.

Might be the issue where the TGP sight is lower than the slaved PGM sight, try lowering your TGP sight about 0.5-1cm below the target. Alternatively try using the TV sight on the PGM to see if you can repeat.

View from the PGM Seeker. You can see that the target is below 12km when I filter through the different views. At one point it tracks the moving target, but when I ready the missile to fire, it reverts to point mode when it was just previously tracking the moving target.

1 Like

Confirmed I’m getting the same behaviour.

On a brighter note, I’ve now hit 1000+ games in the F3 and 1500 kills.

Does anyone know what the stickers over the RPM and TBT gauges in the Tornado cockpit are for? They do not feature in the flight manual, but they do feature in lots of photos of Tornado cockpits. I originally assumed it was some sort of ground maintenance thing, but it seems pretty widespread on Tornadoes in museums, and there are even several videos on YouTube showing the tape in place while the Tornado is flying.

I dont know how you can play the Tonka that much, SF are trash, it suffers BR compression at 11.3.

The aircraft is 11.3 worthy, but its SF load is 10.7 at best.

Always gets uptiered and is out-sticked by everything.

I still stand by the most fun jet the Brits have right now is the Sea Harrier. 10.7 is the best BR as you avoid the compressed BS at 11.0 and up.

Atleast half my kills are F-16, F-14 and MIG-29. All I can say is its a skill issue haha.

1 Like

Going to say 60/40. 60% SkyTrash 40% SKill.

I see your Tonka stats, and raise you my SHar;

1 Like

oooft, very nice.

From what I noticed the number varies? But in-game both british tornados and tornado marineflieger(I dont own the others), have the same numbers.

Tornado F.3 in-game

Spoiler

Tornado F.3 in-game

Tornado Gr.1 in-game

Spoiler

Tornado Gr.1 in-game

ZE966 Cockpit

Spoiler

ZE966 Cockpit

From the internet, dont know the designation, but its an F.3.

Spoiler

ZE965 Cockpit.

Spoiler

Unfortunately its really hard to find high quality pictures of them…

1 Like