Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

MBC mask rejects returns at or within a certain velocity vs your velocity, other than in lookup, where the mask is disabled.

Basically you want to avoid being cospeed with a target with clutter in your radar display.

5 Likes

So if im the situation where the radar wont pick something up, stick the airbrakes on?

1 Like

Yep pump the brakes and you’ll see them.

Awesome. Shall bear that in mind. Thank you as always

1 Like

You were right its a completly different jet using the TWS out to 93km and soft locking what you want then hard locking when they get within 20km and firing your first missile.

Soft locking everything for the Aim9L can be annoying but other than that its far better!

1 Like

You can also use TWS early in the game to find where the “blob” is and plan your attack accordingly, if you see a smaller “blob” on the other side of the map go for them.

Yeah the close range tracking on TWS can be abit of a challenge and the memory tracks can drift off target, switch to HPRF (PD HDN SRC) or LPRF (SRC) and only lock the target long enough to check your LSZ information.

The key to good TWS management is using the range scale, setting your range scale down to lower settings as the target gets closer will stop it from jumping to something you didn’t want.

When using it high up the wide scan has less bars (only 2), so if you don’t want to track targets low down and just hit the high up targets the wide scan is good for this.

5 Likes

Is there anything in the top speed of the tornado? I’m still getting outrun by mig 21s due to the brick wall you hit at 1.16 Mach. Combine that with the lack of any energy retention above Mach makes running away real hard.

1 Like

I think it’s something to do with the fact it’s ram air intakes aren’t modelled, you’re right tho it’s infuriating but I’ve just put up with it because I don’t think it’s gonna be changed

Have they still not modelled that on the tornado? I know on other jets it’s either modelled or they’re given more thrust to compensate but really? It’s such a simple change that would no doubt help a struggling jet. It would at least allow us to run away a little better as turning wouldn’t be so detrimental, as at the moment you have lack lustre energy retention and acceleration at high speeds. Especially when you have more than 10 minutes of fuel and therefore cannot go above 1.16 Mach on the deck.

1 Like

I think it’s correct, but we don’t have combat thrust modelled in game (on any aircraft) and that is what would give the Tornado the greatest advantage when it comes to speed. Though I can’t comment on whether or not mig21s are overperforming (and wouldn’t be surprised if they.were)

Though might be issues with acceleration at higher speeds. Takes an age to get to top speed in the tornado

I don’t think it’s a problem with mig 21s. It’s definitely the tornado. Especially when manoeuvring as the tornado then has worse energy retention than a mig 21 which just shouldn’t be happening. This is all at speeds exceeding Mach and around it.

sea level top speed is accurate, high altitude is too high

Speed isn’t the problem, it’s getting to high speeds which is the problem

I don’t think the speed bleed at high speeds is a tornado specific thing as all swing wings share that trait, the difference is how bad the turn is at high speeds.

Yep, but they wont fix that for some reason

1.16 Mach until bellow 10 minutes fuel seems slow. Do you have any of the sources or know where they can be found.

I think the best we have is Graphs for the F2

I know it’s clean but how much fuel would this be? As in game it doesn’t reach 1.2 Mach until basically empty where it then can go 1.25. But not until like 10 minutes as I’ve said. It’s stuck at 1.16 for basically the entire match.

I have no idea im afraid

No there are some for F.3 too