Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

“Low altitude acceleration is excellent” is not reflected in game, where just about every other aircraft of it’s era will beat it to supersonic speeds…

1 Like

“Excellent” compared to what? To what standard? Its just a statement with nothing to back it up.

“Excellent” would logically mean superior to the previous and/or contemporary aircraft, no? It would make no sense that the F.3 would be slower than the FGR.2

It’s also important that when using things like WTRTI, i notice that as I approach the in-game “top speed” the thrust seems to drop significantly for seemingly no reason? If the thrust was maintained I would expect it would be reaching those claims.

I will test again to see if this has changed.

2 Likes

The F.3 has a higher SL top speed than the FGR.2 which caps out around mach 1.13-1.14 the FGR.2 also has much more thrust than the F.3

I have seen the FGR.2 pass 1.24 in game when clean.

While the FGR.2 has more thrust, the turbofans (and their larger intakes) would cause much more drag - else the harrier would also have similar behaviour. I see no reason for the tornado (with it’s much smaller intakes) to struggle here?

We also have SEP graphs for the F.2;

Yup. thrust appears to peak at M1.14 @ LL before inexplicably dropping (Tornado F.3). This is long before the intake ramps drop (which should be causing a thrust increase due to compression…?)

You can report the thrust drop off if you’d like but you cannot use WTRTI as the devs do not accept that. You’d have to use the browser map to show the stats.

Interesting. Is there any reported reason as to why thrust inexplicably drops at a point? I do not know of any reason why this would happen other than incredibly high mach numbers. That and the complete lack of a change from the intake ramps?

Could just be the way the FM handles hitting peak speeds, but I cannot say for certain.

Alright - I’ll report it.

Id suggest testing other airframes as it might be expect behaviour.

Would not be surprised if it’s a side effect of the placeholder FM we have at the moment.

I’m pretty certain other airframes have a similar behaviour, but it is still causing unusual performance and is incorrect. Again - I see no reason for the thrust to be inexplicably decreasing like this causing an aircraft that was reportedly incredibly fast to be much slower than it’s contemporaries.

stationary, peak, and inexplicable thrust loss with map open in the background to show thrust.
There is a slight altitude variation in these images (~100ft) and I can retake the 1.18 image at 100ft if anyone doesn’t believe me.

I also just realised that it’s compressed the… like 4500x2160 image to 1920x1080 for some reason making the map unreadable

That’s just a thing with multimonitor screenshots

You can hit the “P” to pause the test flight so you can take easier snips.

The screenshot is stored on my computer as 5500x2160. Not sure why it got compressed so poorly here.

Oh, probably just how the forum compresses uploads. Most websites do to save space

I am aware, but it demonstrates the point. The thrust is decreasing for some reason - same situation for the FGR.2 at mach 1.02(???)