Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Yeah the FM is borderline unbearable. Its a shame cuz it’s not actually that bad of a plane at 11.3, man I don’t think there’s any other plane that’s makes you crave an extra 1-2gs of Pull.

Good luck wishing for a change within the next century tho haha lol.

Yeah, you’d probably not begin winning dogfights, but its the little things like defending against an incoming missile. You are just dead if something like a R-73 or Aim-9M is fired at you. Especially since the BOL nerfs you cant rely upon having flares

I don’t really understand what’s going on with this. From what I know, even the technical limitation they have preventing them modeling the flaps properly, shouldn’t make that much difference, should it?

There is 1 specific scenario which cant be fixed, but 80% of it should be able to be implemented right here right now, if they wanted to

Right now there is no method of uncoupling manual flaps and slats based on wing sweep.

That needs creating. Once it’s done the FM will be finalised. Any effort to change it without the new mapping stuff would just make it more wrong than it is now.

1 Like

Yeah that was my understanding. But in terms of actual change in flight performance, would this change make that big of a difference? From what I understand from @Smin1080p, the Tornado has a flight performance buff to partially account for the missing performance.

Soo, wouldnt adding automatic slats from 23 MLD as a temporary solution work?

Probably yes but it wouldnt be accurate so instead we have to have an innaccurate and worse performing aircraft that calls itself tornado.

It’s a good amount at very low speeds and as you speed up it’s less impactful.

It’s worth the effort to do at least. But I don’t think it will be a silver bullet. And suddenly make rate fighting worth doing as a strategy with F.3/ADV.

Even a bit more AoA/instant turn ability would be nice though.

Yeah as I said I think it’s worth it. But it won’t change any of my tactics. You might out rate the odd fighter easier when you’re low fuel and they have a full tank.

To be fair at 11.3 it’s pretty effective if you keep it in the 2 circle, it’s funny watching mig 21s and F4s just drop out of the sky because they full send it thinking your a free kill.

It’s that 1000-1150kph area where you really struggle with lack of turn, which is why the slats especially at 45* will actually help a lot even just trying to make ppl overshoot or get guns on.

1 Like

Getting down to 20 minutes of fuel is where the F.3 can surprise enemies. You can hold a 650-700 kph turn indefinitely around SL. With good reheat management you can stick around pretty late into the game where others have had to refuel and arrive to the middle of map still really heavy.

Yeah I’ve been down to 2 mins in a fight and at those fuel levels you can see the occasional 10G,

the problem is trying to get to that sweet spot in speed without loosing too much energy, there have been too many moments where I know I could have got someone in an reversal or merge if I had literally 1g more pull to get guns on

1 Like

Well the finalised FM would give you just about 1G. So yeah I think it’s worth while but it’s just those edge cases. Largely you never want to be in those situations with Tornado.

2 Likes

My hope is that it will be difference between that missile hitting you without any effort and you actually being able to defend against certain threats. Especially since the BOL nerfs

Same I’d rather die to an F104 or phoenix knowing it was skill issue rather than physically being incapable of pulling out of the way

I keep getting slapped by R-24Ts in SB fired by Mig-23MLs and MLDs. Even pre-flaring them doesnt work anymore.

They can basically hit you anywhere, even when tree skimming. It’s why it annoys me to no end the skyflashes are still usless anywhere bellow 1km while I’m watching the r24r perfectly guide in when I can see trees put my window.

2 Likes

Im more annoyed that Aim-9Ls seem to be badly affected by multipathing too.

I dont mind skyflashes too much, because R-24Rs and R-27Rs etc are also just as affected. But IR missiles dont seem to be equally affected. I rarely have success with a 9L fired at a target at low alt.