Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Can’t really say, I know they decided on the 101’s for our GR.1 so I suspect that’s because they’re saving the 103’s for the GR.4.

While there isn’t much of a difference in reheat, there is a difference in dry. So it would be nice to have. But its also reasonably correct. Even in my 1993 GR.1 tactics manual they still account for the 101 equipped GR.1’s.

They way I look at it is, we have all the better weapon options, we will eventually also get BOL. If all we have to have is less dry thrust for that? I can accept that deal haha.

2 Likes

How about an early/late GR.1 with BOL and 103 being late

Not a terrible idea, with the MFG and WTD-61 being “early” IDS models. I’m sure we could squeeze a GR.1 Early in there with just dumb munitions.

So a TT one getting 103s and remaning to late, with New premium/squad Gr1 e with 101 and only dumbs? Seems good

Was more thinking we have an early, and can get a late with the extra’s, maybe even 9M’s.

1 Like

What we have now with better engines, Mike winders, BOL and the bombs. Can we get the IR versions of those? The bombs I mean.

By bombs i assume you mean PGMs, and yea that would be cool.

What would the difference between 2G, 2G* and 2H radar stages?

2G added NCTR (non cooperative target recognition)
2G* and 2H procesor and software upgrades

We just need one more source in order to report that

Nwm, NCTR works by looking for turbine blades and recognizing planes based on them. Interesting

So nothing WT related?

If we ever got that though, you might be able to ID targets via the radar. Very good for SB

That would probably be something like, if you lock a target, and it is going hot/cold the radar will tell you what plane is it. Sim or GRB thing

Speaking of small details like these, would be nice to have target trail on radar for Sea Harriers since they had that feature irl. I don’t know how to properly call this thing so tell me if you guys know.

Did the F.3 ever used a helmet mounted sight?

No, sadly.

Though didnt it have that little thumb joystick for the pilot to manually slave the Aim-9 seeker about? Almost like a limited FOV HMD?

Nah, as there was WSO to do the work
The guy at the back

4 Likes

Pilot Hand Controller, yes. Not quite as effective as a HMD. Couple of the docs in my collection even mention the lack of a HMD is a shortcoming.

5 Likes