Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

If i had to bet Gr1b will be a event. And its usefullness is questionable at best in the current game state.

I doubt it. Its literally a GR1 with 4x Sea Eagles, that is the only change. No point adding an entire new aircraft for just that, Even an event.

It will be like the Jaguar Gr1A. The Guided weapons were a Gr1B upgrade for that

1 Like

I hope not. If the Jag Gr.1B is folded with the Gr.1A then the Tonka Gr.1B should be folded with the Gr.1

Then, if the code is unlikely to appear within the next 3-6 months. It might be worth asking the devs to have a look at more recent bug reports and information provided and see if the Flight model needs a little tune-up. Nothing might come from it, but every little scrap of performance increase we can get would help. Especially when it comes to making the WTD61 more appealing for people to buy

1 Like

So what was different in the Gr.1B that gave it a new designation? Was the radar tuned to launch Sea Eagle specifically for the 1B version or could it be used right off the bat?

It is not in a folder with 1a, it sits in T3 mod of 1a

That’s what I mean. It’s folded with the aircraft in a mod thing.

I see

As I just mentioned above, the flight model has been tuned to achieve the closest possible performance that it can within the current game limitations. What it has now is the closest approximation that can be achieved. This was confirmed by the developers after that last report was made.

Uh… as far as I am aware. It was literally just the mountings for Sea Eagle. Tornados already had/have the ability to track naval targets. In theory all 5 Tornados could have the same naval radar as the MFG, just limited value with no ASMs (I think, I could be wrong on that)

So what you’re saying is that the difference between the Gr.1B and the Gr.1 was mounting for the AShM. That’s a bit redundant.

I think? I honestly dont know if there was much, I think maybe also some data-link type stuff as well added for the ASMs

At first the GR1B lacked the radar capability to track shipping, instead relying on the missile’s seeker for target acquisition; later updates allowed target data to be passed from aircraft to missile. - Wiki

In-game, I would literally just expect a modification that was “Tornado Gr1B” and it would add the Sea Eagles and when equipped, the naval radar on the MFG would appear.

3 Likes

Anyone got some TIRRS pictures?

I dont even know what that is :D

The Gr1a/4a version ir sensors

Ah… Thank you

Afaik TIRRS consisted of 2 or sensors looking side ways (the orange/red window under the wso instruments) and the pod under the fuselage

Yeah, This site shows the differences

Thanks :) Now i can finally go to sleep, it is nearly 2am for me.

Oof… Good night

2 Likes