Object 770. The loneliest heavy tank

Need a one in tree

2 Likes

A great option for people who didn’t get either of the 130mm-armed tanks, and it would cap off the heavy tank line perfectly. +1 for the tech tree.

7 Likes

+1 from me
I really wish we got tech tree tanks armed with 130mm guns because there were so many prototypes featuring it ranging from ISU-130 to heavy tanks like this with 130mm guns and going up to T-72 prototype with 130mm gun. Really wish for at least some to finally get added into the tech tree for everyone.

9 Likes

+1 as event tank

Yes, what we really needed are more undertiered russian heavy tanks. The IS-3, 6 and Obj 279 were not nearly enough

1 Like

+1 this and the object 277 would be very cool additions to see.

2 Likes

+1

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of this, do you have more info on it?

I read it was presented to Marshal of USSR at testing ground of Kubinka. I will share more, just need a minute.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120523174703/http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/publ_w7_2010/0070_t72.htm

Original text:
Объект 172МН – опытный образец танка Т-72 (об.172М) , на котором была установлена 130 мм нарезная пушка 2А50 (ЛП-36Е). Проходил испытания в 1972-1974 гг. В середине октября 1975 года демонстрировался маршалу Гречко А.А. во время его посещения НИИ в Кубинке. На вооружение не принимался
Translation:
Object 172MN is a prototype of the T-72 tank (Obj.172M), on which a 130 mm 2A50 (LP-36E) rifled gun was installed. Tested in 1972-1974. In mid-October 1975, it was demonstrated to Marshal A.A. Grechko. during his visit to the research institute in Kubinka. Not accepted for service

Sadly not much on it but I will continue searching.

1 Like

The 130-mm rifled tank gun LP-36E was developed under the leadership of chief designer Yu.N. Kalachnikov in Motovilikha in 1972. Compared to the 125-mm smoothbore gun D-81 (GRAU index - 2A26) of the Sverdlovsk OKB-9 plant No. 9 it had higher tactical and technical characteristics. In addition, it had a number of design features:

• the ability to quickly replace the barrel without removing the gun from the tank (for the first time in the USSR);
  • the ability to launch a guided projectile;
  • increased shooting accuracy;
  • increased barrel guide base;
  • symmetrical arrangement of recoil brake blocks (for the first time in the USSR);
  • the presence of a heat-protective barrel casing.

The gun successfully passed debugging and acceptance firing tests and was installed on the experimental Izdeliye 172MN tank. In total, two prototypes of the Izdeliye 172MN tank with the LP-36E cannon were manufactured. Testing of the LP-36E cannon (GRAU index - 2A50) as part of the tank was carried out from 1973 to 1975.

In addition to the advantages, the gun’s disadvantages also became obvious: the larger gun and its ammunition increased the weight of the tank and complicated the layout of the fighting compartment. But the main thing is that the gun did not have modern ammunition. Work on them was slowed down by the head of the GRAU, Marshal of Artillery P.N. Kuleshov. He was an ardent supporter of smoothbore artillery and was uncompromising in his views.

And although in June 1975, both experimental tanks “product 172MN” with LP-36E were sent for testing to the Kubinka test site, and the one manufactured at the turn of 1975 - 1976. the new Izdeliye 172-3M tank, also equipped with this gun, had no prospects…

As a result, tanks with the 130-mm LP-36E (2A50) rifled tank gun were not accepted for service.

By:
S.V. Ustyantsev, D.G. Kolmakov. UKBTM. 75 years of Tagil tank building school, 2017

Remark by me: seems like same gun was used on another Obj 172-3M in 1976.

3 Likes

If you could find out more or at least get a picture of it, I’d say try to make a suggestion for it, would make a hella cool suggestion! Probably a event vehicle most likely but still

It would look nice as event vehicle, but problem is its made on basis of regular T72 Ural, featuring same weak UFP as T-64 and same turret as it. I also dont really have much to say about reloading it. Makes balancing the thing an issue.

1 Like

Object 770 is attracted by many players who have missed is-7 or object 279, and I have waited for it for years. I wish gaijin could add it into the soviet tech tree.

4 Likes

I love this tank

277 and 770 shouldn’t be missing from the game

1 Like

Any one against the 130mm guns is weird like what’s wrong with a Russian heavy with that it’s also not that armored.

Completely forgets that the Maus exists. Which uses a 128mm cannon. Whom is a prototype of 2 models?

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

1 Like