Northrop F-20A Tigershark - Germans Abroad

hence why i listed aircraft we evaluated…

1 Like

None of those aircraft are a Swiss F-18?
They are aircraft evaluated by Germany but not purchased and not used outside of evaluation.

and smin said the swiss hunter was a one of

2 Likes

Perhaps, but either they backtrack and give us a Swiss F-18, or that means the Eurofighter is coming sometime soonish. I highly doubt they’d leave Germany with just the F-4F ICE.

im going of smin statements here and not wishful thinking

he said that
A) the swiss was a one of
B) the EF is too advanced for the game and is still ways off

so…
what would we get
stuff that we actually tested?
a subtree?
nothing?

you see where im coming from?

2 Likes

I do see where you’re coming from. I’m still not a fan of F-16AJ shoehorning though but I do see your point. I still think the Swiss F-18 is the best and most reasonable option but I see your point.

3 Likes

Yeah no more Swiss vehicles in the German tree for me, thanks. Much rather have German evaluated vehicles instead.

2 Likes

I would not be surprised because of genuinely how bad the British backlash to that was, its like whoever made that decision had been paying no attention to the jets the British were asking for, and a part of me expects it to repeat with the Gnat and finland.

2 Likes

I’ve had a bit of time to re-think my initial stance on the topic (and have also realized that I don’t like raining on anyone’s parade anymore), and am now in full support.
+1, any chance to see the F-20 in-game would be awesome, and the evaluated F/A-18B after would honestly just make it even better.

Edit: In terms of the F-20’s armament, I could see it getting up to 6x AIM-9Ls and 2x AIM-7 Sparrows, as well as AGM-65Bs, GPU-5/A, and whatever else it would get. My initial thought was just have it be based on the 1st prototype, but seeing as the F-5G-1 was only intended for sale to Taiwan, this would not work. If it gets added based on what would’ve been the production-ready aircraft, that would likely mean either 3rd or unbuilt 4th prototype. With the 3rd proto, there is more concrete evidence to support its addition, however it would also be marginally worse (Lower fuel capacity, less powerful engine, and less range for the radar). If based on the 4th proto, you’d be looking at an 18,000 lbf F404-GE-100A, an extended range version of the APG-67 (complete with Track-while-Scan, Range While Scan, ACM Boresight, Velocity Search, ACM Vertical acquisition, and Single Target Track modes), and about a thousand pounds more of total fuel.

Edit 2: Gonna send some pics of what the partly-built 4th proto would’ve had from Paul Metz’s F-20 Tigershark Book, for those interested. These should give hopefully a decent idea of what to really expect with something like this…

7 Likes

First up is a look at the 4th production Tigershark’s cockpit, or at least what it would’ve been. It’d have a proper Wide-Angle HUD, which might be an advantage over the earlier prototypes. It could probably get a fairly decent RWR as well…

Next, we got the Chaff/Flare dispenser and controls. Pretty much same as on the F-5E

This is probably one of the most important ones: the radar. As is shown here, the nose had to be slightly re-designed and modified for the APG-67 (ER), yet was still FULLY CAPABLE of fitting both M39s. However, due to a cooling duct running under one gun, and the CWI running under the other, the ammunition capacity was reduced from 280 rpg (560 total) to 200 RPG (400 total)

Next, we have the complete list of changes originally intended for the 4th prototype. The Larger wing and refueling probe are things I wouldn’t expect Gaijin to model, though there is info available on both (can and will provide if necessary)

Finally, we’ve got a picture of the stores intended for the 4th prototype (note that underwing Sidewinders have been left off, but they pop up on other sources for the Tigershark’s ordnance/ordnance placement

2 Likes

Was this the version that Germany tested?

No. Germany test flew the 1st prototype (#83-0062), as it was the only one available during evaluations (multiple countries evaluated the exact same aircraft/prototype), seeing as the other two prototypes were either under construction or being evaluated by Northrop at the time.

This does not reflect the final production aircraft, or what the countries who evaluated the Tigershark would’ve actually used.

I made that exact argument regarding Germany only getting the F-5G-1/F-20A (early) earlier in the thread.

I don’t agree with this addition but if it were to be added I would be absolutely against giving Germany any Proto config they didn’t evaluate. I could understand giving them Proto 1 but that’s about it.

Imo F/A-18C (Swiss) would be a much better addition since it’s a service aircraft unlike evaluated jets with German stickers on the fuselage. I also dislike idea of having F-20 in Germany because it wouldn’t fill any gaps in the tt. Germany had many of its own not-fully-finished projects which could be added with Yak-141 treatment.

Also for comparison, F-16AJ addition is much more justified since it simply fits the Japanese doctrine. And afterall Japan started using its very own F-16-not-F-16 (F-2 Viper Zero) which was developed from American Viper.

2 Likes

these dumbasses are gonna make it a premium. its just gonna be another money grab, as much as i wish they don’t they will, to many people want it thus more will be willing to buy it.

Best way to add the Tigershark would be to simply add it to every nation that tested it.

3 Likes

Either that or just add the 4th proto to the US (country that developed it), with skins for the foreign evaluations and such

1 Like

How is that the best way? Why does any other country other than the US get to have an F-20, because of only testing? Might as well add every vehicle the US tested to their tree

did the Americans use it
no
but the Germans did definitely test it

No one had it in service. Everyone tested it.

1 Like

And to that, I ask: who else tested it?

Spoiler