Mowag Tornado 2

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description: The Mowag Tornado was a Swiss IFV made in the Cold War, developed from the Mowag Pirate. The first version of the vehicle, the Tornado 1, was developed in the early 1960s by the Swiss company Mowag, but it didn’t generate a lot of interest and never entered serial production. The same fate happened to its successor, the Tonardo 2, an evolution armed with a single 20-mm cannon and a 450-hp diesel engine. The prototype was completed in 1968, but like its previous version, it didn’t gather any interest and was abandoned relatively soon. One thing to mention is that the Italian army bought the prototype for testing. The last member of the family was simply designated as Tornado and featured various upgrades regarding the engine, armaments, etc. It was offered to the Swiss army, which tested it for a while, but it was never ordered. Regarding the technical characteristics of the veichle (Tornado 2), it was equipped with frontal armor capable of withstand 23 to 14.5 mm shells in order to protect the troops inside. In the mobility department, the Tornado featured a 450-hp Mowag model M8TK 8-cylinder diesel engine positioned after the driver position. Thanks to this engine, the Tornado was able to move forward and backward at a maximum speed of 70 km/h, which made it a pretty fast vehicle for its time. The armaments were a single RH202 cannon capable of shooting both AP and APDS rounds and a pair of 7.62 MG42 machineguns in the back in two remote Turrets. Regarding the unit bought by the Italian army, in 1970 the Italian army was looking for a new IFV platform to equip its regiments. Many options were taken into consideration, like the German Marder 1A3, the Luchs, and others. Among these was the Mowag Tornado, the evolution of the Mowag Pirate (a troop transport made previously for the Italian army and bought in 4 units). In 1971, the only prototype of the Mowag Tornado 2 was bought and tested in the following years. But the tests didn’t persuade enough of the Italian army, and the vehicle was abandoned. Its fate is unknown. The Italian also tested a version with a 25 mm gun but It was rejected too.

Why it should be in game: It could give to the Italian tt an equivalent to the wiesel 1A4

Specifications

Riepilogo

Lenght: 6.05 m
Width: 3.15 m
Height: 2.5 m
Weight: 20.5 tons
Engine: Mowag model M8TK 8 cylinder diesel engine
Max speed: 70 km/h
Transmissions: Hydro mecanically steer/shit with 6 speed in both directions
Armaments: 1x RH202 20 mm cannon and 3x 7.62 mm machinguns
Crew: Commander, Driver, Loader, Gunner

Sources:

Riepilogo

Gli Autoveicoli dell’esercito Volume IV
Janes armoured personal carriers
Mowag Tornado infantry fighting vehicle - Wikipedia

Pictures

Riepilogo

4 Likes

BTW, your source says the version with that turret is armed with a 25mm, not 20mm.

No, test vehicles should only be added in very rare cases where a gap needs to be filled and there are no other options. Both isn’t the case for italy

No? My suggestion states that the version bought was with a 20 mm and additionally a 25 mm version was tested. That is why I only mentioned it at the end witouth include anything more.

It’s not a test veichle, It was bought by the Italian army

4 Likes

Your lead picture is the one with the 25mm.

And even then with the 20mm, your source says it’s a 20mm Oerlikon, not a 20mm Rh202

Fixed. Forgive me, I got confused.

I think it’s an error in the photo caption, that’s not a 25mm.

Really? If the source was just wrong I can’t argue with that. Which gun do you think it is? Because it doesn’t really look like the 20 mm Oerlikon from the earlier turret or the Rh202 that Il_Signor_Regio originally said either.

The turret is this (without ATGM launcher) and the 20mm Rh202 cannon
MOWAG Tornado ATGW1

4 Likes

Ohhh, so it is the Rh202 in the end? Then @Il_Signor_Regio I apologize for the misunderstanding.

1 Like

The variant with the R3-looking-turret looks the coolest, imo (if coolness decides what variant gets added).

1 Like
  • +1 If italy put its hands on a vehicle, it must be in the techtree.
4 Likes

+1, a very cool vehicle!

3 Likes