Mörserträger 38(t)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I would like to suggest the Mörsertröger 38(t) which was first a proposal for a Platform on the Pz 38(t) Ausf. M chassis to carry 8 cm, 10 cm, 12 cm, 20 cm (Leichter Ladungswerfer) and 38 cm Schwerer Ladungswerfer Mortars. One prototype was constructed, but not finished, as the development was stopped in favour of general Waffenträger that could carry a wide array of armarments instead of just different Mortars.

Cince it wasnt actually finished, beyond the Vehicle itself and it was unarmed, the different armarments could still be implemented as multiple vehicles or modifications (or both)

In game it would add a fully tracked and better armored Mortar carryer vehicle along the other Halftracks Sd.Kfz.251 and 250, with a even greater armarment option up to the 20 cm leichter Ladungswerfer and 38 cm Schwerer Ladungswerfer

A Mortar, a weapon type not yet in game.
In game it would offer a new mobile and nible playstyle that would be similar to high caliber derp guns with He, tho depending on the Morter caliber less He but higher firerate. That would be usable in short to long range, but weaker in close combat. With multiple vehicles or even alone it could stop an enemy attack, close down a position or help your advance with smoke as well as annoy enemy tanks by obstructing them with smoke from a safe position.I suggest that it should be aimable in 2 ways. Like Artillery when pressing middle Maus and having a visible circle on the ground that is movable by Maus, however restricted by the actual available Traverse range. And on the minimap a red dot (not a big map in the middle of the screen) that would show the impact range that would move along how you move your maus in a similar controll like in Enlisted as well as impact marks on the map as in Enlisted.

Visualisation:(Click to show)

The Vehicle is quite similar to the Flakpanzer 38(t) allready in game or to the Marder III Ausf. M, however with a long extention of the heavily angled front plate to create room for the ammo and offer protection to the high extention that creates the fighting compartment where the Mortars are located.

Pictures:(Click to show)

The Vehicle:

Armour Front (Slope angle) Sides Rear Roof
Hull 10 mm (65°) Front glacis
20 mm (14°) Lower glacis 15 mm 10-15 mm (40°) 8 mm(over the engine)

Weight: 9,8t
Speed 43 / 7 Km/h
Engine: 150 Ps

Armarments:

8 cm Granatwerfer 34 (Actual diameter 8,1 cm)
Fire Rate 15-25 Rpm Highest velocity 174 m/s Elevation 38,8° to 88,9° (So you can even hit right in front of you.) Traverse 8,89° to 14,4° (Depending on the elevation)

Ammo:(Click on the names to show)
There were multiple rounds available and captured French and Nether 8,14 cm rounds could also be used, however i will only mention the 3 game play wise interesting ones:

Pictures:(Click to show)

8 cm Wgr. 34 He 32,9 cm length 3,5 kg 0,565 kg Fp.02 and Np.10 Filler (723,2g TnTa) 174 m/s 2400m Range

8 cm Wgr. 34 Nb Smoke 32,9 cm length 3,5 kg 0,22 kg Filler 0,5 kg Smokestuff 174 m/s 2400m Range

And the most special round: 8 cm Wgr. 40 He 56,4 cm length 7,5 kg, 2,5 kg or above 3kg or ~5 kg Fp.02 and Np.10 Filler (3,2 to 6,4 kg TnTa) Filler ? m/s 950m Range (Sadly the source on this isnt very clear)

10 cm Nebelwerfer 35 (Actual diameter 10,5 cm)
Fire Rate 10-15 Rpm Highest velocity 193 m/s Elevation 45° to 90° (So you can even hit right in front of you.) Traverse 28° Range 3025m

Picture:(Click to show)

Ammo:(Click on the names to show)

10 cm Wgr. 35 He 7,26 kg 1,7 kg Fp.02 and Np.10 Filler (2,176 kg TnTa)

(I couldnt find the standart drawing)

10 cm Wgr. 35 Nb Smoke 7,3 kg 0,075 kg TnT and 1,88 kg Smoke mixture

10 cm Wgr. 37 He 7,3 kg 1,28 kg Fp.02 and Np.10 Filler (1,64 kg TnTa)

12 cm Granatwerfer 42
45° to +84° elevation, 8° to17° traverse
Firein mainly 2 rounds, (and optionally russian captured) at 8-10 rpm

12 cm Wgr.42 Ausf. E at 280m/s up to 6km 15,6kg with around over 2,2-2,5kg Fp.02 and Np.10 filler (2,816 to 3,2 kg TnTa) as well as the same with a smoke filler.(Click to show)

20 cm Leichter Ladungswerfer

PIcture:(Click to show)

93 kg 88 m/s 700m range 37° to 85°

20 cm Wgr. 40 24,27 kg 7 kg Fp.02 and Np.10 Filler (8,96 kg TnTa)

38 cm Schwerer Ladungswerfer

1658 kg 360° traverse, elevation 37° to 85° 107 m/s 1000m range

38 cm Wgr. 40 149 kg 50kg Fp.02 and Np.10 (64 kg TnTa)

Source:
Geschossringbuch II+
Hilary Doyle Panzer Tracts
Munition der Granatwerfer
H.Dv. 481/66

2 Likes

+1, I’m really like this sugguestion.
But I’m doubt about the effect of mortar weapons if they existed in game.
If they are accurate, combine with the Enlisted control will make it too op.
If they are not accurate, then it will be suffer because teammates will not wait for your cover and you can not eliminate any threat as soon as possible.

4 Likes

While I enjoy your suggestions, I find that mortar vehicles have absolutely no place in the game.

3 Likes

+1 I’m sure they can fit somewhere, even if that somewhere is solely behind events. Gaijin has shown time and time again that vehicle classes once thought to be useless before their addition actually have their place in War Thunder’s ever-changing landscape.

4 Likes

Interesting I like.

Mortars irl were skill-based, if you know how to use indirect fire then it will have a greater chance however most in-game use artillery pieces don’t. This is more of a niche vehicle for a community of experienced players including current or veterans of the Military. I understand how to use mortars but that’s mostly due to a lot of games primarily Red Orchestra/Rising Storm.

If anything Mortar’s wouldn’t be too far from how in-game artillery works only 3 differences are, High Explosive, concentrated, smoke, and Incendiary shells which would cause problems for the engine deck possibly if it was added using binoculars and the top-mounted MG. But that’s stretching it.

2 Likes

this would be completely useless so no

1 Like