Mirage 2000 Thread : Variants, performance, characteristics and sources

Names are tricky anyway. Just look at the US with all their Lightnings, Tigers, Phantoms, Corsairs, …

Also the Eurofighter Typhoon is basically just a hommage to the famous British fighter and at the same time the name was escpecially also chosen because it has a connection also to a German legend, the Messerschmidt Bf-108 Taifun.

I was always fascinated by how aircraft were named: Grumman with its line of cats, McDonne Douglas with the monsters (Phantom, Demon), Douglas with their Sky-everything, deHavilland with their insects (Mosquito, Tiger Moth), because Geoffrey deHavilland was a hobby entomologist,…

And yes, Dassault with their weather-phenomenons Mirage, Ouragan, Rafale…

What I also always wondered about: There’s a lot of cats and birds, but very few dogs, in military aviation! I always wondered why…

1 Like

Then I invite you to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7LCQj6RBQ

It’s in German, but maybe you recognize someone, looking at the names… ;-)

1 Like

Mirage 2000 is more “related to” Mirage III than it is “based off of”.

In my interpretation, “based off of” implies parts commonality and interchangeability. “Related to” refers to similarities in shape/planform and design goals, but little to no commonality between the two.

It’s like the difference between a direct descendant and a removed cousin. Or the relation between the ancestor of domestic cats vs the relation between big cats and domestic cats. They’re both connected, but the distance between them differs.

5 Likes

oh me too I thinks its super awesome. I never knew the series names choices for Mcdonnel Douglas one before or the deHavilland,

Haha you know for the longest I thought the name of Matra, and Magic were how the French referred to their missiles. Matra like" sacred utterance" and Magic missile etc. like names that had to do with mysticism I have no idea where or how I came to that conclusion or read it somewhere. I think Matra can mean incantation in other languages so threw me off.

Already watching it! now and set it to english subs!

Thanks!

I really hope we get some more older mirages soon too there is still some cool unique ones to get.

Absolutely agree.

about “based of” miss-use on this thread:
Apologize and on your knees into Paris Direction(east for you) !
and edit all of those by “Related to”!
:)

2 Likes

tumblr_nckrs8H9rZ1rv8b97o4_250

I will be more careful!

giphy (9)

The airframe is completely different. Everything has changed. Looking similar does not mean they are the same.

It’s not just “new technologies” it’s quite literally a whole new aircraft.

I don’t know why you think the name has anything to do with anything lol. The Super Hornet is called a Hornet but shares nothing in common with the original F-18. They just named it that so it wouldn’t seem like they were creating an entire new aircraft, when they essentially were.

1 Like

Collander buddy I thought this was settled. I know you are catching up. But finish reading all of it and then hit me up bruh bruh.

Because a name is used to identify a base model or series of designs that originate from one.

This is prevalent in literally everything. From ship classes, automobiles, motorcycles etc.

Man I’ve seen a mirage F1 and a mirage III (and a mirage 2000) IRL, standing next to them, and just with their size, there’s simply no comparison. It’d be like comparing a mig21 with a su7

Oh I see you admitted your misunderstanding, have a nice day!

Yeah, a 1977 Porshe 911 standing next to a 2008 Porshe 911 is simply no comparison.

At the end of the day, guess what?

they are still both 911s

Damn I did not know the mirage F1 was still a delta wing at the end of the day

Its still a Mirage at the end of the day.

It’s like saying because one VW beetle went from rear engine mount to front engine mount they are now completely different cars.

They are still VW beetles that come from an original design.

If we go the car route, then you could argue with this reasoning at the Golf is the same as the Polo, the Audi A3, and a skoda, because they share the same chassi and engines, and only the exterior panels and the interior differ. But here we are going back to the « based off » and « related to » blabla, which I did not caught up to before posting my answer

Or even better, the Passat W12 is actually half a Veyron

1 Like

we can definitely go car route they follow the same principals. I am an Audi, VW expert.

Shoot.

No, we cannot argue that because they are different car manufacturers. Regardless of who owns them.

Well, considering there’s that much share of technologies that they actually share the same chassis and engines, that’d definitely work

Think of them this way, those are the equivalent of the Shenyang J-11 to the Sukhoi Su27. They do not apply to the Mirage and Dassault’s variants over the years.

Another example,

The Chevy corvette was always a front engine car. now they are mid engine cars with much more technology. They are still Corvettes at the end of the day & come from an original design heritage.

Same with the F1. Dassault went with the conventional design for moment in history and then returned back to delta configuration of the original design. They are still Mirages.

The F-35 is called Lightning and the P-38 is called Lightning… so they’re the same plane? Or A-10 Thunderbolt is same as P-47 Thunderbolt?

1 Like

P38 lightning has variants.

The lightning II is a completely new aircraft. Just like the F-4 Phantom II is another aircraft from the first Phantom.

The A-10 is not the “A-10 Thunderbolt”. It’s called the A-10 Thunderbolt II.