Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Would help unironically lol although it’ll be hard to get used to.

I recommend downloading wtrti if ur curious about the difference between instructor and Full controls, it’s super cool.

1 Like

I can easily fly with a hotas, I used it in SIM and practice anyways.

The problem is my vr, in summer it makes by eyes sweat, and not having situational awareness because of cockpit view

1 Like

F-15 A-D.
Yes, the F-15, like the F-4, F-5 or F-14, uses Units AoA. The conversion to actual AoA is different for each of those aircraft. In the F-15, the conversion is not linear. But we can say that 30 True AoA is roughly 40 CPU- Cocpit Units.

MiG 29 9-12
mig 29 aoa
mig 29 aoa

2 Likes

In the original, this is so…

1. The SOS system is configured to trigger (push off the control stick of the aircraft) when maneuvering with the wing tips released-at an angle of attack of 26 degrees…
  2. In all cases, for the MiG-29, the handle can be squeezed (broken).
    3.The angle of attack with the SOS running is 30 degrees (without roll control).
    The angle of attack with roll control is 26 degrees…
Spoiler

4.In these two cases, this is not the maximum angle of attack that can be obtained on the MiG-29, for example, in combat or on trials…

3 Likes

Not that I am aware of… wanted to do that back in November but irl things (especially exams…) prevented me from being very active since then

2 Likes

I mean, I besides the Instructor being the bloody garbage that it is and @skilz2kil bug report on SEP, MiG-29 should be pretty accurate, although it will face UFOs, right ?

3 Likes

Yes, f16s and gripens will still dominate, but maybe it’ll be able to match the f15A, m2k and f14b

3 Likes

The interesting difference between the MiG 29 and the F-15 is that the MiG 29 uses a Pitch-kicker system, the F-15 has no such system to limit the stick but aerodynamically gets buffet and wing rock which will limit the pilot, but can get above 40 AoA if the pilot knows where and how.

4 Likes

Again about the F-15…
For some reason you want to “fit” the F-15 to the desired figure of 30 degrees, this is not quite true…

1. Once again, read the limitations in operation for the early F-15, 30 units were installed, not 30 degrees…this is about +/- 22 degrees of true AOA…
  2. Since there is no book on aerodynamics for the F-15, you need to pay attention to secondary documents…
  3. How the F-15 can fly with an angle of attack of 30 degrees…In most cases, this is a straight-line flight (without roll and yaw control), that is, it does not maneuver (rehim CAS On)…
Spoiler

Снимок экрана 2024-07-22 034530 — копия
F-15A_1

1. We are not interested in such a flight…we know for sure that the 9-12/9-13 limit of 26 degrees is set in maneuvering mode (SOS On mode)…
  2. We need to find a figure for the F-15_ maximum angle of attack when maneuvering (CAS On mode)…
    F-15 Pitch Control Augmentation (f15sim.com)
3 Likes

So technically MiG-29 can use more AoA than the F-15 while still being maneuverable ? (Having roll and rudder control I assume)

HE is not trying to fit it in. It can.
2024-07-23 (1)

F15D at at 20k ft (6,100 m) doing a 70° turn at steady altitude
2024-07-23

2024-07-24

You can fly it with impunity at 30 AoA units at any weight and symmetric-asymmetric load. Beyond it depends on type of maneuver and symmetric-asymmetric load but you can take it to 45 AoA units depending how you are.

On the F15, AoA (°) + 10 = AoA units

There’s no limit but forces increase slightly on it.
2024-07-23 (2)

testing units. But operationally has no such limits

look at the F15D charts above. Pull up manauever data exists aswell. Not straight line and ROLL CAS off.

It has no maximum AoA with CAS on
2024-07-24 (4)

In fact, due to how it’s designed the FCS inputs are reduced, Yaw and roll are washed out to prevent inputs that would induce spins from them acting funky.

3 Likes

The F-15 had a more advanced flight control system than the MiG-29. The MiG-29’s pitch kicker could be exceeded, had the F-15 not had such an advanced FCS the limited would likely have been lower as well. As they said, they think they can open the limits up more in the future and surely they did. Even aircraft without airframe design made purely for aerobatic flights such as the F-35 can do post-stall maneuvers with full control of when they enter / exit the stall and without significant departure symptoms or instabilities almost purely thanks to the modern FCS.

1 Like

The limit of 30 units of AoA was at the time when the AoA properties were tested. A little later it was raised to about 35-40 true AoA in the mid-1970s.
15 AoA Limiter
Hight AoA

f-15-vs-su27-12-638
F-15A AoA

1 Like

So YOU all came to the conclusion (which I wrote about earlier) at the beginning of the controversy on this issue…

1. Do not refer to the figure 26 degrees (SOS On) for the MiG-29, it can be 30 degrees (SOS Off)…
    2.The F-15 can also be 30 degrees (CAS Off) and there is not even a need to delve into the details of CAS operation…because all maximum angles of attack are obtained in CAS Off mode…in fact, CAS Off…
  2. In reality, the MiG-29, as well as the Su-27, there is no need to reach maximum angles of attack, because they are more maneuverable than the F-15…
    https://youtu.be/8bWTnqp1AFg?si=bSLVfiLQg7iX3kvw
  3. Only the F-18 is better than the MiG-29/Su-27 at angles of attack of 30 degrees and above…
    Летная оценка палубного истребителя F-18 (И.П. Волк, А.В. Крутов, А.Ю. Гарнаев, В.И. Ахрамеев).: benzobak3 — ЖЖ (livejournal.com)
3 Likes

1990_Eagle Talk Vol IV.zip (3.3 MB)

Spoiler

Снимок экрана 2024-07-24 092525

1 Like

They are also obtainable with CAS On

G=1*/cos(70)=2.92
I don’t see anything incredible here.

1 Like

CAS is not disabled by the pilot, why would he do that ? CAS allows the pilot to fly the aircraft more safely and achieve a higher AoA. Maybe the misconception has gotten in here that when an F-15 goes into a spin the CAS portion of the controls disengages itself to allow the pilot to bring the aircraft out of the spin, but a lot of other aircraft have that. In the MiG 29, the F-15 has a similar downward roll with increasing AoA, achieving similar AoA at low speeds. While the MiG 29 limit at 26 AoA is more pronounced, the roll kicker must not be exceeded ( written in the MiG 29 manual). The F-15 can reach up to a true stable AoA of 35+ with CAS on. Depends on configuration, speed, altitude, etc.
I don’t think the Mig 29 is more controllable than the F-15 at higher AoA, it will be close together.

Spoiler

Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 003949 — копия
Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 005345

1 Like

CAS will allow the aircraft to be flown more precisely and safely. CAS has its own logic to set more, less or no control surface deflections. Thanks to CAS the pilot can achieve slightly higher AoA than if CAS was off. The CAS is turned off by the pilot sometime in the first familiarization flights on the F-15, when it is necessary to become familiar with how the aircraft will react if the CAS is off. Otherwise, it is left on.
CAS switches off automatically on spin, the pilot has direct control to recover the spin
CASAOA