Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

This reduction in roll rate and loss of lateral control are among the essential characteristics of the MiG 29 ?
mig291

I always had the notion that the f15 was slightly better than the mig29 for that matter

In reality, it is…

Spoiler

Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 034914
Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 035006
Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 035040
Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 035103
Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 040434
Снимок экрана 2024-07-27 040722

5 Likes

My understanding is that it fits in that there is a deterioration in handling and a reduction in roll rate.

This happens on all aircraft…

1. A noticeable deterioration in handling occurs only at Angles of attack greater than 26 degrees…
  2. For example, this can be seen in the video with R.Radeva is a timer of 2.20 minutes…https://youtu.be/8bWTnqp1AFg?t=140
    "When performing rotation around the longitudinal axis, special attention should be paid to the angles of attack when the roll is close to 180 °, when the aircraft takes an upside-down position. It is in this position that, with further rotation of the aircraft at a > 20 °, due to the interaction of longitudinal and lateral movements, as a rule, there is a cast along the angle of attack with the opening of the SOS and reaching angles of attack, large angles of adjustment of the SOS, which leads to a significant deterioration in transverse controllability.
    When performing horizontal maneuvering on the numbers M = 0.5–0.8 with six guided missiles and an outboard fuel tank at high angles of attack, the transverse controllability of the aircraft is similar to the controllability of an aircraft without suspensions, but the loss of transverse controllability occurs at lower angles of attack …
    3.This is the book “Methodical manual for a pilot on piloting techniques”…it simply does not consider and does not give examples of aircraft navigation beyond the Boundaries…This is a book for training young pilots, not for training Test Pilots…
2 Likes

I agree. The picture I sent is from the manual for MiG 29, a normal pilot does not turn off SOS and cannot fly like Mr Radev. His flight demonstration is fantastic, he must have had all the warning lights on and Natasha warning him constantly, he was flying on the edge. Hats off to him.

1 Like
  1. First of all, not Natasha, but RI-65 (RITA)-corresponds to the female name Margarita (Rita)…Secondly, the name Natalia (Natasha) has never been the most popular in Russia … Названы самые популярные за 120 лет мужские и женские имена - KP.RU
  2. The Air Forces of different countries may have their own limitations in combat training…R.Radev changed his combat training in the Bulgarian Air Force…Александр Младенов о реформе системы подготовки летчиков-истребителей ВВС Болгарии - bmpd — LiveJournal
    “…According to Hristov, the minimum speed limit of 300 km/h prescribed by the technical description of the MiG-29 should be considered as a recommendation for medium-qualified pilots. At this speed, the MiG-29 series 9-12 and 9-51 can safely maneuver at 1.5g overload. But the technical description of the aircraft says that the fighter can maintain a horizontal speed of 210 km / h at an angle of attack of 26 °. Exceeding the limits of the SOS-3M system, it is possible to continue horizontal flight at lower speeds and a higher angle of attack, although there will be some stability problems due to the constant shaking of the control knob caused by the operation of the SOS system. Such serious limitations of the angle of attack do not allow the MiG-29 to fully unleash its potential as a fighter: according to Hristov, they were introduced in the mid-1980s, when this aircraft entered service with the USSR Air Force, in order to ensure safe control at low speeds for medium-qualified pilots.”
    "…Having extensive experience as an aviator on the MiG-29, General Radev knows the capabilities of the MiG-29 perfectly well and tells his pilots: “you can kill yourself while maneuvering on the MiG-29 only when you start turning the aircraft along the longitudinal axis at high angles of attack at low altitude. In all other extreme situations, you can return the plane to level flight.”
    “…Given my experience of fighting against the F-15 and F-16 with different types of aircraft, it was very difficult for me to stand up in close-range maneuver combat against the F-16 Block 30, although Block 40 and 50, as well as F-15C, are not the most serious opponents among those I had to face. The F-15 and F-16 Block 40/50 are excellent aircraft, but close air combat involving different types of aircraft against the MiG-29 is not their strong suit.”
6 Likes

Is there a reason why the block 30 is better against the 29 than the block 40/50 ?

Later blocks of F-16 are heavier so have worse maneuver performance.

2 Likes

It’s a difficult question…but many pilots like Block 30…Read the 4 pages of the forum…

F-16C Block 30 64 squadron “Aggressor” 2022…
scale_720 (2)

1 Like

It’s all about pilot training, the pilot is critical in measuring the aircraft. F-15 pilots were at the world’s top of training for complete air combat. Even a gentleman from the Bulgarian Air Force claims that it was only after they flew against F-15s that they realized their training deficiencies. And the F-15 pilots helped them adjust their training.
So, in the Bulgarian Air Force at the beginning there was a knowledge acquisition from USAF F-15 pilots, to improve the flying of the MiG 29, which is interesting.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, at first I did find it a bit weird that block 30 was such a match for the MiG-29 while the block 50 seemed like nothing to Radev

1 Like

Hello @skilz2kil wanted to ask How is the bug report going ?

The most maneuverable versions of the F-16, according to the pilots, were the Block 15 and 30.

1 Like

This is about the training of the Bulgarian Air Force (there is open information)…
The Polish Air Force has always used the MiG-29 in an aggressive style…there are a lot of videos on the Internet…It was the Polish crews who trained the Israeli Air Force and they rented out the MiG-29…
MiG-29 Israel…

1 Like

MiG-29M suggestion still didn’t get passed despite 320+ votes…

4 Likes

I don’t think that it changes something. Snail has their own plan of adding vehicles.

2 Likes

Don’t worry bro, back when we made the suggestion they accepted it super fast (less than a day if i’m not mistaken), IMO that means that they have some sort of interest in that plane. It’s coming to the game regardless if it’ll be in the next update or not.

Have faith, victory will be ours 💪

5 Likes

I asked an F-15 pilot, CAS is not turned off by the pilot.

1 Like

Pitch kicker

1 Like