Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Nice message him tell his he got it wrong.

But it makes no difference :(
That is why It only equipped with R27Rs.

You can see how short they are on the wing.

Devserver will prolly open this weekend, even though chances are minimal i’m very excited to see if they’ll improve the migs. Also some were saying that the 9.13 could get the r73 this update…

1 Like

Well, join us and go to the off-topic section and ask anything you want to be answered

1 Like

I hope so. The SMT received a digital radar & avionics. The only thing left that is not is the flight control system routing.
The weight that was reduced in the nose is easily forgotten & the weight of the upgrades is hyper focused on.

The number 1 fuel tank that was added actually keeps center of gravity & less fuel out of the wings for better performance when flown with low enough fuel. Pilots have reported no actual difference was felt to a degree that the SMT would somehow be worse than previous.
Mikoyan carefully balanced out the upgrades & did not just cram in everything they could.

I hope the do something because there is no point in flying the Mig-29s whatsoever if the Mig29s. (all of them imo) still perform worse than the flanker in everything.

The Mig-29s were more responsive. They are much smaller, lighter & much larger TTW. Feared one circle fighters.

They do not have a full range of alpha like the Su-27. But they can reach their peaks rates much faster. The roll rate in the SMT is beyond terrible at the moment as well.

1 Like

Yeah the difference in induced drag between the SMT and 29A’s is insane in game and not even remotely relative to the % of extra weight added with the upgrade. Personally, my theory is they nerfed the crap out of it’s(and also the other mig’s) energy retention/drag curves as way to balance the archers, and the same method got applied to the flanker too when it came out.

Rn im in the middle of looking into the mig’s SEP values according to the Nx longitudinal overload charts and its looking pretty damning - so once im confident of my results and testing method ill report that and the substantial underperformance in sustained rate at low speeds. So if all goes according to plan that would basically fix the mig’s FM, with drastically better low-mid speed performance both in energy retention and overall low speed rates(and some worse high speed acceleration according to Nx chart). Then we can maybe look into the SMT a bit further and potentially also look into the flanker Nx charts since apparently, they are available according to a recent dev response to a flanker report.

1 Like

I 100% agree. I have always believed the SMT current state was intentional to balance something out & the archer’s coming to the game on the SMT definitely makes sense.

You notice how once you hit a Mach number of .95+ the jet immediately has everything reduced, its pitch & roll?

You can see how the roll rate is drastically reduced no matter what weight or fuel you have at these speeds. Its roll is worse than the Mig23 imo.

1 Like

miggys are awesome in 1C while being one of the best 2C fighters behind only the f16 and maybe the f14, unfortunately in RB it can’t do both well

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but from what I remember in RB the mig29s pull less AoA than the f16s and lose a lot more speed, thats crazy imo

1 Like

it does, the main problem with both the su27 and the mig29 ingame is that they bleed a lot of energy (the instructor is also an annoying issue), the f16 on the other hand pull a shit ton of AOA and sustain it very well, it’s impossible to defeat it unless ur flying a gripen.

they certainly lose way more speed, but it think on dampening the mig has slightly higher max AoA then the f16’s - and thats what the instructor uses. So probs in rb they would slightly outperform the f16 in 1c but not by much and only if flown really well, maybe like 1-2 degrees (cant remember the f16 max AoA in dampening tho).

yeah true, even using the 9.13 against the f16c (one of the heaviest i think) not always you can beat that thing in 1c even with flaps out

1 Like

I can’t remember either, I played with the mig29 since its launch and a little bit after the nerf they received i practically stopped (I prefer to do duels than play air rb) so I kind of just gave up on the migs, they are still good for air rb ofc, but not for 1v1s guns only , you can still beat the average f16 player who knows absolutely nothing what he’s doing

1 Like

The Mig29 should perform better.

I blame the R-27ERs. Because GJ can just say, “they have the ER, the MiG-29 is good enough” without really perfecting its FM.

Also, Please don’t forget the Flanker! is both a 1 circle & 2 circle fighter. It has no problem in a rate fight & is happy to do it.

The Flanker is the most aerodynamically perfected design in the world & is still studied to this day. What fighter in all the world is Mach 2+, can perform 90 degrees+ angle of attack, controlled side slipping (supermaneuverable) without thrust vectoring?

There is not a single fighter in the world, not even the F-22, just the Sukhoi 27 :)

2 Likes

The flanker is a monster, funnily enough IRL the plane that’s most to blame for the mig29 K/D is the su27 lol. It’s just that i’m more of a fulcrum man when talking about russian stuff, i know that compared to other 4th gen the 29 is probably the less capable jet because of bvr stuff, but i just love its simplicity.

1 Like

playing the SMT rn and it feels so good to have a modern radar & rwr. Night & day difference from the Su27

We need the Product 9-18 (SMT upgrade without fuel tank 1) if GJ feels the SMT cannot be improved.

Without the fuel tank does mean its lighter because less fuel pumps, etc. less surface panels too since it is not enlarged in the spine.

@ZVO_12_INCH do you know if the SMT has 2x ER/ET x2 R/T capability in one loadout like the K? Not sure if the K has 4x ER capability. Never seen it.

I think we should get the Yemeni one instead as a premium jet. 2 non premium SMT doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Well only because its FM is crap at moment.

But it does sound like a great premium. Then again, active missiles as a premium?

It cannot be top tier, remember.

1 Like

Eagle :
dashboardEagle

Still not supermaneuverable :)
The Eagle cannot perform controlled side slipping.

That angle of attack seems a little fake too. But because it’s you, I will believe it.

I remain 100% correct. No fighter is quite like the Flanker. Not even the F-22.