Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

I was quite angry because I could have had 5 kills.

1 Like

Lol that is like right on the money bro.

interesting. I do not use the ER much anymore, unless I am last man. What is the proxy range of the two missiles? Has that ever been established?

I am going to take the ERs out right now.

That is not the issue , it has tracking and autopilot issues.

1 Like

I’m just saying too much AOA is why it’s unable to catch that jet, I doubt that this is how the missile actually behaves IRL, it doesn’t look like it’s pulling anywhere near 40G so why so much AOA in the first place?

2 Likes

İt didn’t have catching issues , it was just too wobbly to gain speed, in control setting there is a keybind for bomb tracking. Use it and it will show you missile camera

2 Likes

It has G or AoA, not both but in this case it wanted a tight turn radius to get correct lead to target. The problem with this is that any attempt at sustained AoA will cause it to remain at very slow speeds for long enough to start oscillations. These oscillations + motor burnout when TVC angle is high cause the missile to essentially fall out of the sky.

As I said, will be reporting the issue later today if it has not been done already. I’m sure devs are already aware and wanted to get the missile into a “workable” state to put in the game but it will need refinement.

2 Likes

Because it’s not a fast missile in the first place. Its going to try to connect with fast moving targets but the lead will be in our eyers huge as the missile is not fast enough. Its a very slow short-range IR.

The missile was not designed to intercept fast targets at supersonic but reserved for high off boresight and angles of attack at dogfight speeds and close quarters.

İt is a fast missile , with more thrust than 9L/M in total

1 Like

This does not interfere with the missile at all

1 Like

Yes, physics is a thing and gravity is a thing. Kinetic energy built up travelling toward the earth is a thing.

These forces applied to an object will have an effect on tracking and intended direction of travel. You drive a car too fast; you may not make the corner and under shoot and fly off the track. Same principle in kinetic energy.

I’ve been on the receiving end of this, twice I had an R-73 go just over my canopy as I flared late, definitely felt I should have been killed.

1 Like

Mach=1.09 Does not affect the rocket in any way. Gas dynamic control interceptors are introduced gradually The rocket energy is enough to fly 16 km head-on near the ground

travelling Mach 1.09 alone is not the only force applied to an object accelerating toward the earth chief.

How can the speed of flight press down to the ground? where is the connection?

1 Like

he actually wasn’t.
there wasn’t a G-limiter but an instructor, which is present on all aircraft. they merely adjusted the value of the overload limit

F-16A — the maximum overload limit by the instructor has been changed to 11G when using mouse or simplified controls. Reduced the longitudinal stability at low speeds, and added angle of attack and overload limiters for SAS in “damper” mode at full control.
Source

in effect, the flight model was not changed but the control extent restrictions by the instructor were
so they added limiters. not removed them

(my apologies BBCR, I thought you were someone else.)

Mechanical and kinetic energy. Check it out.

It’s also the reason why missiles do not track easily fired upwards at 90 degrees.

It has G or AoA, not both but in this case it wanted a tight turn radius to get correct lead to target.

That’s what I mean, it’s taking insane AOA which turns it into a rocket powered airbrake. That’s fine to avoid an overshoot, but it kept doing it after the intercept became feasible and that’s why it couldn’t catch it

1 Like

Thats pretty cool, but all these changes depending how long the object flies, whether it gains velocity and its relation to the earth. I do not want to get off the path regarding in discussing the Mig29.

I think we can agree from the video that R73 should not wobble like that and there was no proxy in Calibers video when there should have been.

Yes, she should not hesitate. In total, the stabilization section of the rocket takes less than 1 second

1 Like