Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Had this happen very frequently when using the Python 3 today. Missed 2/3 shots on a single Ysk-38 AI that should have been 120% kills but no proxy happened. Had it had happen on actual players and I thought I was going crazy. Can’t say I’ve noticed it with any other missile so far though

2 Likes

The highlighted section only effects full real controls.
The flight instructor was artificially capped at a lower G to simulate the G limiter. Increasing the instructor limit is equivalent to “removing the G limiter”.

Yep it’s generalized like I thought, just saw the same thing happen to a mate with his R60M, rear aspect 1km same speed, missed by half a wingspan and just flew past

1 Like

i didnt see that in the words of gaijin. may that be your interpretation?

it is not unfortunately. it dosent take a born englishman to understand that adjusting one thing is not equal to removing that thing

The instructor is not separate of the base flight model. The limitations in place via instructor are designed to allow mouse aiming to work in the first place, and allowing full AoA range and sudden max deflections of elevator would brick mouse aim.

Anyhow, they added more limiters and unrestricted the instructor in certain ways… everything I said was based on my interpretation of the code changes which I have included in previous conversation so any attempt at saying I was incorrect / lying are just… opinions I guess.

MiG-29 changes are expected next week based on the dev response to my report so I’ll touch over all of the changes since last major patch again and go over why it is the way it is. Hopefully the changes result in an improved flight model and not worsening the energy loss.

2 Likes

Sorry for late reply male.

That may be true, but the R73 is a heavier and a less aerodynamic missile. So, more thrust negates the speed and range you expect and actually offsets a greater potential disadvantage.

Being heavier also adds to the force applied when attempting to pull up and chase a target after gaining so much kinetic energy being already fired from a Mach 1.0 platform.

The Aim9L is designed for longer range intercepts and that is of Western doctrine. Its drawback is that it cannot pull the alpha and maintain a perfect Mach 2.5 (going too fast would hinder maneuverability) like the R73. However, the R73 has its drawbacks from this in long range intercepts in that it over leads to make up for its slower speed and its thrust vectoring causes excessive drag.

There’s pros and cons to each of these missiles. Both being designed with different doctrines in mind. We should not keep comparing them. I think it is a terrible mistake that we do so.

As for the python, it maintains a high 40Gs unlike the L being of similar range by using a short burning motor and relies more on gliding to the target at a high rate of speed. But this configuration of high initial thrust is one reason it cannot move like the R73 right off the rail besides not having thrust vectoring of course.

The flight range is limited by the operating time of the gas generator. The thrust is compensated by the lack of mass and drag

1 Like

True.

However, that is vague. Lack of mass and drag as opposed to what? Every other short range IR missile in game is smaller & more aerodynamic having has less drag than the R73.

1 Like

If compared with the Aim-9, which has a flight range of 18 km, the R-73 has 30

1 Like

1:40 Cobra

1 Like

You are talking solely about range? It does not matter. The R73 is heavier and not as aerodynamic as the Aim9. That is why it does not fly as fast asside from its thrust vectoring.

Its at undeniable fact even to the layman that has a brief understanding of fluid dynamics just by looking at the missiles.

As for the 30km range? I take that with a grain of salt.
It is literally Soviet/Federation doctrine to exaggerate about anything made public. It is written military doctrine actually.

I do have a question to the weight of the Mig29s. I thought earlier Mig29s were heavier due to lack of composite materials and the new version having them are more apparent. So should the SMT really feel as heavy as it does?

I though Mig29s are only supposed to get better regardless of added capabilities

SMT is built on 9-12 airframe

Are there new models made or upgraded from older 9-12s?

I thought there was some new ones fresh built?

I am sure they swapped what they could to make them lighter no?

???
Max speed Aim-9M 2,5 Mach, R-73 Mach 2.5
Where is faster?

The fact of what?

Treat it further

I didn’t say it’s upgraded from 9-12, I said airframe is same. I don’t know about how all 9-19 were actually built.

SMT this is an overgrown mutant

2 Likes

I asked you to clarify.

Just because the airframe is the same does not mean they used the same materials through out

Using different materials is making airframe different. Iirc some SMTs (or maybe all) are built from 9-13SE, not sure, I believe there is no official information on this.