Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

So > 68 knots and AoA of 40 degrees or less
For the MiG-29 you can double the airspeed and half the AoA for “recovery”.

One of these is considered supermaneuverable in literature, the other just meets and exceeds all the requirements according to the Russian definition.

By all means, this is a Cobra. Nose attitude 90 degrees, hangs in the air, recovers without loss of altitude. Immediately begins a sharp turn after nose is level to the ground.

1 Like

Yeah its a super hornet and it was still sloppy and slow af. I guarantee it was min fuel as well.

Every single maneuver done after was unimpressive, not considered supermaneuverable and nothing on par to the agility of the Fulcrum and Flanker.

Do you understand that every single clip after was just basic flying? That was a Super Hornet btw.

Pretty cool video though. Thanks, wish you placed it in the correct thread.

ADDITIONALLY. The cobra he did not remain slightly level flight. It was a vertical climb and level.

It was not a cobra.

2 Likes

I haven’t kept up (like 500 messages) but why are you lot arguing about supermaneuvrability again? and the hornet for some reason?

1 Like

The legacy hornet is known for the Pirouette maneuver, something only other “Supermaneuverable” fighters are capable of doing. It’s holding a steady 45+ degrees AoA and spinning laterally.

This is not done in airshows, but it is also mentioned in the manuals and can be seen in DCS here how they perform the maneuver (take that with a grain of salt, since it is in fact DCS).

The F-35 can do similar, at even higher angles of attack. Known as the falling leaf. The MiG-29 cannot do this.

Um thanks for sharing another video games youtube video about a aircraft that is not the Mig29 in the Mig29 thread.

Stop derailing. PLEASE

I promise I will go to the F-18 thread if you wish to make this an “AMERICA F YEAH!!” Trump Rally.

This is the Mig29 thread.

2 Likes

I was trying to find if any blue angels did any cobras (as the blue angels use f/a18s) and i couldn’t find any but plenty of flankers and raptors doing it

1 Like

very good point. I did not think of that.

I do not believe that was a cobra it was a high alpha vertical climb and pitch down. Lots of western fighters do that as it looks like the aircraft is floating.

I forgot what the exact airshow maneuver was called.

You see how utterly slow that “tactical” manuever was?

Supermaneuverability is the capability of fighter aircraft to execute tactical maneuvers that are not possible with purely aerodynamic techniques.

That did not look very tactical and if there was a fighter on his tail he would just slightly pitch up and gun him.

Dynamic deceleration aka Cobra happens at much higher speeds.

Additionally you see how long the super hornet was able to stay vertical? Less than 2 seconds he was forced to level out lest he stall and die.

That was a perfect demonstration of the poor thrust to weight. He dropped that thing the nanosecond he felt critical loss of lift was about to occur.

The Mig29, the Su27 and F22 can hang there keep same level flight and slowly drop the nose in a controlled manner.

1 Like

real cobra

The Adam Carolla Show - A Free Daily Comedy Podcast from Adam Carolla | CA Congressional ...

That’s an odd looking MiG-29

1 Like

my apologies that was just a quick demo of what dynamic deceleration looks like.

The Flanker is the more beloved of the two.

So show me a 9-12 MiG-29 doing that

I would be more than happy, but I need you to declare right now that the Mig29 is not capable.

So, we can utterly destroy whatever little reputation you had about knowledge of aircraft.

It is, been saying that. Just making the point that the MiG-29’s 90° nose attitude is achieved at ~60 degrees AoA. Been saying that. You keep pushing that 90° true AoA is the benchmark (which is what the Su-27 is doing when you see it’s nose attitude 120° from the ground).

That’s not something the MiG-29 is capable of. The MiG-29 also sits at 90 degrees nose attitude for roughly equal time to the F/A-18, and in fact the longer you hold that the better in regards to high alpha stability and post-stall maneuvers. It’s mention in the TsAGI paper that dynamic attainment should take 5-6s in total.

2 Likes

Look I will call the F-18 whatever you want. I will call it supermaneuverable, 5th generation and a Naboo N-1 Starfighter ok?

Can we please stop talking about the F-18 in the Mig29 thread? It’s not even in the game or confirmed officially to EVER come. Can we at least wait until a devblog?

1 Like

Sure, we can stop talking about it. Just as long as we’re on the same page that the Hornets meet and exceed the requirements to fit Russia’s definition of supermaneuverability.

At this point the subject just keeps changing cuz both parties just want to have the last word, i don’t even remember how it started. Each time i open this thread i find a ton of new messages and even though i’m 90% sure it’s both of them arguing i still scroll down the page hoping to have some news about the fulcrum XD

9 Likes

Unsourced and nonsensical walls of text

Yeah, worst part is that it’s super unproductive and gets the thread nowhere. Itd be easier of yall didnt talk past eachother and if both of you were willing to actually substantiate each others claims by using actaul sources not just like copy and pasted defintions from wikipedia.

I’ve posted a few dozen sources, Ziggy is still nill
Actually, despite all the ranting our discussions have got the MiG-29 to where it’s at currently. It’s not all for nothing.

It’s better than the RU forum where no discussion is happening at all.