Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 'FLOGGER' - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

It is not simulated well for most of the top tier fighters. The MiG-23MLD likely would have suffered pretty bad from wing rock due to the wing design. Long and think generally results in flexy wings.

1 Like

Not really for that reason but because slats didn’t work properly, they didn’t released synchronically.

1 Like

Ah, so there were issues with the flight control scheme and it was easier to revert than to fix.

mig 23 aoa book

Should the MiG-23 have a radar gun lead (EEGS)? I feel like it should given how the radar is connected to the gun sight but I can’t find any info on it.

Recently while going through the forum I found this image showing the sustained turn rate of the MiG-23ML at different wing angles and I was curious how the one in WT compares to that.

Here are the results:

MiG-23ML
12700 kg / 2x R-23R / 1000m ALT / 12:33 min of fuel

16 deg wing angle

Mach / G
0.4 - 3.73
0.5 - 5.69
0.6 - 7.40
0.7 - 8.93

45 deg wing angle

Mach / G
0.4 - 3.25
0.5 - 4.65
0.6 - 6.17
0.7 - 7.56

And if anyone doubts the test, yes, I know what is sustained turn rate and what is instantaneous turn rate, the test was done with SB controls (joystick) and I kept the same speed while circling around at 1000m alt.

Does anyone have similar chart but for the other MiG-23 variants?

4 Likes

And there’s the bug report:
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/hIfaLzUF1h7S
About its turn rate.

2 Likes

i found this interesting info about the mig-23ML and MLA…
MiG-23ML/MLA secret projects forum

Compared to the ASP23D(Export) of MiG-23MF the ASP-17ML(Export) of the MiG-23ML was provided, amongst other things, with two very helpful features for close air combat.

1. With the introduction of the R-60 or R-60M a short ranged dogfight missile was available with a off-boresight angle of about +/- 12° respectively +/-20° (different to their predecessors R-3S or R-13).
    Normally the seeker head could be steered by either the radar, the IRST or it was used in boresight mode, which were not helpful in close dogfight. With the ASP-17ML an additional possibility was introduced.
    The pilot could steer the seeker head manually by using the knob normally used to control the X-23M missile (left on the stick) to shift the aiming circle onto the target (+/-20°). Needless to say that this provides some elbow-room while in a turn fight. A very small step in the direction of HMS.

could this be true???

3 Likes

Yes, the pilot could manually position the seeker of the R-60 missile and it was a great advantage at the time. MiG 23ML, maybe MF.

1 Like

why dont we have this in game?
this is an easily implementable feature tbh. half of it is in game already

1 Like

I don’t know.
On the F-15, it was possible to switch between AIM-9 missiles to the one with the best view of the target. The pilot could tell by the strength of the audio tone

1 Like

I meant as in the seeker (smaller red circle) could be manually moved inside the allowed limits of the missile.

2 Likes

After 1:31:17, he talks about the R-60. Turn on the subtitles

2 Likes

yeah this guy is saying the same thing!
this should definitely be a feature for the MiG-23ML/MLA/MLD

1 Like

The same thing can be done in the Tornado F.3 I believe

And F-4’s equipt with the relevant ordnance & correct switchology.

I was pretty sure it was also in the F-4s, but I couldn’t remember where I saw it. Wasn’t it only on the F-4s as a predecessor to VTAS, and in game have that? Or was it more widespread?

Depends heavily on the specific configuration of F-4 and the Sidewinder variant in question for compatibility, but as far as I can confirm it seems to be specific to USN F-4 (and derivatives) & AIM-9G and later Sidewinders .

Sparrows on the other hand could be manually targeted via auxiliary radar / illuminator modes against literally any target the radar could be pointed at (including Surface targets, with the only requirement that they have an appreciable radar signature, though this was not a hard requirement)

The main issue with doing so is that the only reference point that could be used to derive the antenna train angle was the radar screen so necessitated that the RIO be head down, unless the radar was boresighted so the pilot could fly the missile home, which made precision targeting (and practically requires a specific flight profiles to execute properly so can’t be done without a permissive threat environment) difficult to say the least, and the fact that the Sparrow’s warhead isn’t really optimized for non-aircraft targets so is underwhelming and so other ordnance would be better suited to the task where available.

1 Like

I’ve tried the MiG 23MF/ML and it seems to me that the plane loses speed unrealistically slowly after the throttle is pulled back. Am I alone ?
I also tried some AoA characteristics and the plane has a buffet, above 30 units AoA I went into a spin that was difficult to recover from but it was possible.
Overall, I’d say the MiG 23 in WT is probably unrealistically too good in higher AoA and the flight model energy retention is also unrealistic.

2 Likes