Mark of top notch game company

Knowing more than core subject matter and attention to details distinguish top notch designers from everyone else (how to make a F2P game profitable and make it grow while being balanced is another topic).

For the Tokushu Heiki event the snails made a bunch of once used icons. Since this event is only 13 days, why spend any effort on fancy art? Just cobble any easy image for the purpose.

BUT there is one object in particular needed to create “reports”.

For those outside of Asia it will be unfamiliar.
For those from China, Korea, and Japan, this may be more familiar.

That is a typewriter!
Because of the pictographical Kanji characters typewriters needed to manage hundreds of characters, and this is one, ahm, type.

Yes, because this event is mainly Japanese units and called “Tokushu Heiki” (特殊兵器), this is a Japanese typewriter.
Specifically a Showa era “Toshiba 1400”, maybe also called a “Mazuda 1” (could not find exact info, more details welcome!).
Surprised a maker to popular consumer electronic goods also made mechanical contraptions?

To take an extra bit of effort to find and make art that would be perfectly appropriate for the event. It did not have to be a typewriter, could have been paper and pencils. Instead here is effort to make location and period appropriate image.
Not saying Gaijin is perfect, just good at looking for those little touches.

6 Likes

ok

2 Likes

i dont have any info about it, but i know a guy who owns a big collection of them and he is very technical about them, maybe he knows more if you want more info about them.
Here is the YT channel: https://youtube.com/@oldtypewritersandcalculators?si=7s3NX7mSWQ_WDemF

2 Likes

Rather have Gaijin draw these icons in Microsoft Paint and spend extra time on game balance and bug fixes.

But that’s just me

4 Likes

Graphic designers are not balancing game and certainly not coding bug fixes.

But that’s just me

3 Likes

you can pay their salary to a coder that will fix the bugs you know

4 Likes

Honestly id take a few bugs for visual flair that the game has. Like the new fog effect is quite nice even if there are some lighting bugs.

Arguably they are doing both as they are key players in graphical issues and the visual nature of the game is a way to balance the game. Be it with map visuals and so on.

2 Likes

@Vianochka @Malekitth
Game design needs art, model makers, coders, IT, and more to make a popular game. Who would play a game with terrible art?

1 Like

Give us more of all :).

I love the new spitfire cockpits the mark 2 and 5 received. I hope many old planes will get the same treatment soon.

Yak and Fw190 cockpits in particular are 10+ years old , there are unreadable textures in them

The same people who play it currently - a game with awful balance, stale gameplay and terrible bugs :')

1 Like

You dont have to explain that to me. I know how game dev studios work…

how to make every single event a grind fest, and the easy way is to spend your golden eagles away because it’s easier to just cash grab players, then to make a actual enjoyable content… its at minimum pathetic and downgrading of war thunder player base, would I liked to have those “premium” vehicles, yes I would, but like in Gaijin’s past, shady business has usual…

2 Likes

The mouse over writeups on the individual rocket parts were really good too. I felt smarter after reading them.

I really liked the theme of this event, honestly. It was interesting and tied into gameplay through the test mechanic. I think the economic changes with the cap on sales has also been pretty positive, the market side of this event is running very well, I’d say.

I think the only thing that kinda fell down here was the UX (user experience) side for what you were trying to do. It’s ok not to up front say, every third rocket will be your success. I get that would be hard to explain in the news article. But even just a counter of number of tests so far would have been good here. Because honestly, I’m on test 13 at the moment and at a couple points I have completely lost track of which test this was and how many more I needed to do to advance the vehicle build.

2 Likes

this “event” (money grab) is the worst EVER, even if you don’t want to go for the obvious 1º premium on this crapgrind and you want to sell materials in the item shop YOU CAN’T they manage to f…ck that too…

FCKING PATHETIC, WHAT’S THE FCKING POINT OF THESE SO CALLED EVENTS IF EVEN SELLING CRAP IN ONLINE STORE IS A GRIND ON IT’S OWN…

0/5

3 Likes

Anyone as soon as it has some kind of balance in diversity and fun. That’s clearly not the case for WT anymore.