Marder I - Captured by the Belgians

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but only to Germany
  • No
0 voters

The Sd.Kfz.135 “Marder I” was a German tank destroyer from World War 2.
It was a French Lorraine 37L chassis - chassis already in the game in the French tree - but had a different, German superstructure and a very good PaK 40 gun which can penetrate 151 mm of armor at 0 m and 0°.

The engine is however still weak, as is the armor. The Delahaye engine provides a mere 70 hp, and the armor isn’t any thicker than 12 mm anywhere on the vehicle. Thankfully, the lack of armor also meant no additional weight, as the 8.2 hp/t power to weight ratio is already terrible as is.

However, just for the fun of it, this suggestion isn’t for a Marder I in the German tree… nor is it for the French tree.

Indeed, i am suggesting the Marder I that was captured by the Belgian resistance in Antwerp in 1944!

Here we can see the painted star on the side, as well as the Belgian flag on the front plate.

Specifications - Marder I

Armament:

• PaK 40 75 mm cannon (Ammo: 40/48)
    • Ammo:
      • PzGr 39 APCBC: 151 mm at 0°, 792 m/s
      • Hl.Gr 38B HEAT: 80 mm at 0°, 450 m/s
      • PzGr 40 APCR: 182 mm at 0°, 990 m/s
      • Sprgr. 34 HE: 10 mm, 550 m/s
      • K.Gr.Rot Nb. Smoke: 540 m/s
    • Reloading rate: 7.6 → 5.9 s
    • Vertical guidance: -8 / 10°
    • Horizontal guidance: -20 / 20°

Armor:

Superstructure: 11 mm
Hull: 9 mm

Mobility:

Delahaye 6-cylinder engine (70 hp)
Max. speed: 35 km/h
5-speed transmission
Power to weight ratio: 8.2 hp per ton

Crew:

4 (Driver, Commander, Gunner, Loader)

Dimensions:

Mass: 8.5 t
Length: 4.95 m
Width: 2.10 m
Height: 2.05 m

So this could make for a fun premium under the Belgian flag, be it in a BeNeLux or French tree. Obviously, it can also go to Germany but it would be strange to get this instead of the standard German version.

Just in case it wasn’t clear, no modifications were done to the Marder apart from the paint, it’s simply a captured vehicle, hence, it could also be reduced to a simple skin for the Marder I, but i preferred suggesting the vehicle in case we were to see a Benelux tree, but also because the more vehicles the merrier! :)

Sources

Spoiler

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/sd-kfz-135_marder-i.php
Pz. Jäg. Lr. S. für 7.5 cm Pak 40/1 (Sd. Kfz. 135): S.P. Antitank Gun (on French Chassis) – Catalog of Enemy Ordnance
Question about Marder I captured by Belgian Resistance: ID? - Axis History Forum