MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details

“Russia cant do it so neither can the west”

Okay, first off:

Gaijin are not engineers, this is just absurdism. It is not in your lane to reinterpret technical and engineering possibilities, you are a game dev,andyou are bending your own source rules

Secondly:

Its a rolling airframe missile, which is way different than your Igla

So source information is no longer relevant, anywhere, because gaijins sekrit engineering team better than Lockhead, BAE, and Textron somehow can interpret napkin math they made up based on a feeling?

Also another thing, using a significantly different missile that is Russian as your source data is verifiabley biased, flawed, and against your own mantra, which you have used to not count russian sources for NATO MBTs

33 Likes

then i choose to feel cheated.

2 Likes

Explain woke.

But its not real reason, this is literally fake technical mumbo-jumbo in regards to the western missiles, they did the exact same thing to the abramsby choosing to use outdated sources, ignoring sources, and making up something fake about suspension which was disproved .2s later

1 Like

They’re talking about Igla, not Strela (IRSAM not Strela MANPADS), which is basically a Soviet copy of the early Stinger. Both are rolling airframe missiles.

The problem is that the Igla uses a much inferior guidance mode (Bang-Bang), while there is no evidence to suggest the Western missiles also used this mode.

I think its more likely that Western MANPADS use a more advanced configuration, combining the rolling airframe with normal PID missile guidance. So it gets the best of both single and dual-plane guidance without the added technical complexity of bank-to-turn and roll control.

3 Likes

Thank you, lost my marbles for a sec. Fixed the missile name.

Its absurd theyre using a mimicked russian missile as source info for the mistral and stinger

2 Likes

Also we have several rolling airframe missiles (APKWS, all present MANPADS), how come only igla gets the nice rolling animation?

1 Like

Especially considering that in the 1990s, one country was pushing the edge of computer science (Many US missiles at the time received new variations with improved electronics, some receiving exponentially more powerful computer chips), while the other was busy dissolving.

5 Likes

The same reason the F-15’s wings were falling off in the dev server preview, but the Su-27’s weren’t. Favoritism. They’ll treat their stuff better. We see it in their actions and their words.

3 Likes

I dont understand the reasoning behind this whatsoever.

Gaijingles use “we feel”, “we believe”, etc. as a grounds for their decisions while literally ignoring primary sources from real experts that have dedicated their life or work to make these systems.

There was also a lot of talks in comments about how iglas keep their maximum overload as their “average overload” while western missiles have their “average overload” as their overload. A clear double standard that makes 0 sense unless you are completely biased.

Theres also the the issue of “iglas couldnt pull it therefore western missiles cant either” ignoring glaring differences between the missiles…

You know what, fuck it.
I want my F4 Phantoms to have the performance and speed of F15 because clearly they are similar. Both have wings, engines, even air intakes. They are clearly 1:1 similar and should as such handle exactly the same.
I feel like this would be great decision and the source is it came to me in a dream.

25 Likes

They’re using their own personal feelings as a basis to pick and choose what they want to implement in their game it’s hilarious 😂

1 Like

and no comments from Devs or Mods and everthing we can give them thats not classified was send already and ignored because of a really bad copy of the Stinger

3 Likes

Thats the insane part too, its a bad copy and in game its just better

i went through the sources and i can see the Stinger having better control fins and more with a way better Pilot System but who cares because the Devs know better than the Guys who designed tested build it and sold it to almost all NATO nations

1 Like

oh no, dont give gaijin any ideas, they might nerf the F15 to be in line with the F4 because they are similar

4 Likes

It will come to them in a dream as well. (“Over-Primary” source of information)

my dream shows empty space on my SSD so i dont need fixed anymore

1 Like

Explained in the very sentence…

This more or less pertains to the arguments that the missile could do 22g in flight but the document also goes into detail about the Block 1 Missiles (FIM-92E/J/K) The counter arguments being the fin’s are too small and can’t maneuver but the it seems the R&D guys thought of that.

“The latest version of the Stinger—Block I—has a roll frequency sensor that uses laser ring gyros to measure the roll rate. The missile’s orientation to true vertical is set before firing and is then used to compute the relative position of the missile body at every instant in time. This information is used to synchronize control instructions from the guidance unit. The roll frequency sensor was developed in a collaborative effort between the PM, Raytheon, and Honeywell. The effort began around 1990 and cost a total of about $8 million.”

Critical Technology Events in the Development of the Stinger and Javelin Missile Systems Project Hindsight Revisited John Lyons, Duncan Long, and Richard Chait Center for Technology and National Security Policy National Defense University July 2006

This is from some data I picked up while researching engagement ranges vs. helis for an existing “bug” report.

2 Likes

‘‘But its not real reason, this is literally fake technical mumbo-jumbo in regards to the western missiles’’

Please provide evidence for your counter claim then