MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details

I have no issue with a vehicle taking its place what i have issue with is a 10g missile being given a stealth buff by allowing it to orientate itself after launch to perform better at closer ranges… Meanwhile the stinger now a 16g missile of essentially the same design gets no such luxury.

6 Likes

What’s sad is their is nothing we can do, they themselves said that the source we provided say the stinger pull more g’s but it’s impossible for another nations missile to out pull a Russian missile in their eyes.

1 Like

yes, for a long time.

It does not do it here (13:05)

1 Like

maybe it did, but not very significant, it only do this at the moment after firing. I was told about this about 3 months ago, close to the video’s post time, and tried by myself, I promise it’s true.
Maybe need another video that longer ago will proof it, but I can’t find one, few people use it.

It’s a new feature in alpha strike. They talked about it on dev stream. It’s either page 38 or 43 if you’re wondering where they suddenly got that from.

It exist no later than Update “Air Superiority”. Not new, and possibly longer before.

They literally present it like a new feature in alpha strike dev.

That I do remember, but did other missiles get this?

I don’t know why they do so. But I was told about this feature months ago, and tested it myself, we need to find someone who uses a lot 9m39 to know when was this feature added, or videos.

From what I know, no. In last update too.

Tried it with stingers and they don’t have that

1 Like

For that, the rest of the missiles need to have such a feature in their documents. Probably the Chinese HN-6 should get it too as 9m39 brother. Unfortunately, Western manpads are much more classified and we know much less about them. Better for IRL, worse for war thunder.

1 Like

It’s fine, except has no proximity fuse, but still that “info request” or “not a bug” problem.

9М39 — altitude control engine and autopilot has been added.

1 Like

Imagine my shock that they ahistorically buff the Igla again while leaving every other MANPADS in the dust.

No the Igla has no such capability IRL, its painfully obvious in every single video of the missile being deployed that this is the case. It is lead tracking all the way from launch, it has no pre-launch angle guidance like this at all.

Meanwhile the all the actually superior MANPADS still handle like they are redeyes.

The implementation of MANPADS is a joke at this point.

15 Likes

I honestly have no issue with it having this stealth buff, my issue is the stingers are not treated the same way, this update (stupidly) allowed cas players to control their ordinance from 3rd person view making them even more effective against spaa players… Meanwhile most player controlled SAMs need to be fired in 1st person view otherwise your inputs are ignored if you try to free aim in 3rd person. These a historical changes should mean the stingers should be treated in the same manner otherwise yet again its another disadvantage to nato spaa. What’s Russia got now 5/6 su25 options and also a packed spaa line up? They’re covered in all aspects.

Not just stingers in this case, the Mistral and Type 91 suffer too.

Not to mention you can already manually add lead to a stinger because it has an uncaged seeker, however, due to gaijin’s inability to code, doing so means the missile almost always overcorrects and just misses it’s target, meanwhile gaijin gives the Igla auto lead like this which resolves the manual lead overcorrect issue.

IRL the Mistral, Stinger, and Type 91 all correct for lead very quickly after launch because thats how they function and their ability to manually uncage pre-launch should allow them vastly superior minimal range, which it does not.

EG, when you depress the uncage function on the stinger, the seeker generates a lead calc during that time as you track the target, the same occurs with the Mistral and Type 91. Uncaging the seeker prior to launch is mandatory to fire all 3 of these MANPADS.

Meanwhile in the Igla’s manual of arms, you turn on the seeker, get a tone, and depress the trigger, the system does not uncage, instead it completes the firing cycle, launches the missile, then uncages the seeker.

14 Likes

You could always lock from third person, it just didn’t follow your camera in free look. They would be forward around where the crosshair is

You can’t radar lock aircraft in 3rd person anymore ( some spaa’s will just lock a random target nearby, not what your looking at) and alot of sams can no longer be guided in 3rd person, the missile ignores you input, but it’s now ok for aircraft to have this similar functionality is my issue.

1 Like

I don’t see why you would want that anyway?