M4A2E8: The Easy 8 left in a maple home

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Hello, I’d like to suggest one of the two 'Easy 8s" used by Canada. I’m well aware of what this suggestion will get me. However, this suggestion is a little special as it’s the only Sherman Canada ever purchased itself without some sort of middleman. With all other Shermans used by Canada were either licensed built, a gift from the British or loaned to them.

History:
After WW2, Canada had left most of its amour in Europe, leaving only what wasn’t sent overseas and kept at home. These however were outdated or underpowered. So in 1946, Canada purchased a bunch of the US surplus, which led to Canada buying the M4A2(76)W HVSS for a cost of $1,460 each. These made up the regular force in Canada until the Centurion began to arrive in 1952 which replaced them in the regular force, but the Shermans still saw service with the reserve force as a training vehicle until the 1970s.

The first 75mm M4A2s were built in April of 1942. These were equipped with the General Motors 6046 engine, a welded hull with extra applique armour. overall 8,053 M4A2 were built. With the M2A2(76)W being an up-gunned late variant, of which over 3,230 were made. They used the modified T23 turret, which was home to the 75mm M1 gun.

The M4A2(76)W HVSS that Canada had purchased came from stock that was originally meant to be exported to the Soviet Union as part of Lend-Lease, but the end of the war in Europe stopped that. Despite the Shermans’ official name being M4A2(76)W HVSS, Canada would call them under the experimental name of the tank, M4A2E8. The total number of the Shermans bought by Canada was 294. When the Shermans started to arrive the first began to arrive they started by giving them to the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps School which at the time was located at Camp Borden in Ontario, this was followed by the Royal Canadian Dragoons getting them which was also stationed at Camp Borden. The other regular units were also given their shermans. In March of 1947, Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) of which sent 30 to Camp Wainwright in Alberta. These only lasted with the regular force until 1952 when they were replaced with Centurion Mk IIIs. After which the Shermans were handed to the reserve force who replicated their old Grizzly tanks with them, who used them until 1972 when the last ones were retired. The reason the Canadian Shermans lasted so long after they were defunded, was that the Ontario regiment who had the last of the Shermans had the founder of General Motors in Canada, Sam McLaughlin was the honorary Colonel of the regiment. He would have them bring the tank down to the GM plant which was at the other end of the road for them, running them through the plant and refreshing them. This led to a special camo being done up for his 100th birthday in the early 70s where they used the last 4 running shermans in a parade in front of his house. After the Shermans were retried about 50 or so were sent all over Canada to become monuments in places all over Canada.

More photos

Specs:

M4A2E8 Sherman specifications

Dimensions L W H 6.09 (without gun) x 2.99 x 2.99 m (19’11 x 9’7″ x 9’7″ )
Track Width 0.59 m (1’11” ft.in)
Total weight, battle ready 30.3 tonnes (66,800 lbs)
Crew 5 (commander, driver, co-driver, gunner, loader)
Propulsion General Motors GM 6046 diesel (conjoined 6-71s)
Maximum speed 40 – 48 km/h (25 – 30 mph) on road
Suspensions Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS)
Range 193 km (120 miles)
Armament Main: 76 mm (3 in) L/55 M1A2 with muzzle brake
cal .50 (12.7 mm) Browning M2HB machine gun
cal.30-06 (7.62 mm) Browning M1919 A4 (7.62 mm) machine gun
Armor Maximum 76 mm (3 in)

Sources

The M4A2(76)W Sherman – Canadian Arms and Armour
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/canada/m4a276w-hvss-sherman-easy-8/
Armour in Canada: Sherman M4A2(76)W HVSS Tank
Post–World War II Sherman tanks - Wikipedia
Sherman Tank | The Canadian Encyclopedia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe8FsmvapAw

1 Like

+1

2 Likes

+1, for the U.S. tree or in a independent Canadian tree.

The Americans already have their version of this tank in their tree. America doesn’t need it.
+1 for Canada

2 Likes

It could end up as a event vehicle or premium, not impossible.

If anything it should go to germany since that’s where German ground lives

My favourite WW2 tank for my favourite country. A match made in heaven for me. +1 Canadian independent ground tree.

3 Likes